Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toomuchglass

Do other people's crafts pressure you ?

toomuchglass
15 years ago

I visit a couple of the best craft forums there are on

the web. ( Some of you visit the same ones ! )

People post their projects ...... I'm totally

in AWE .... everything I See I want to make. I save the pics and instructions ,thinking someday I'll do it ...

" someday " never seems to come and I get so disappointed in myself. DO you do that too ? Want to make everything you see ? Can you find the time ? It HAS to be a sickness with a name .........."craft envy" ?? LOL ....

I just want to know if I'm the only one .......

Comments (14)

• kudzukween
    15 years ago

Oh, I have a SERIOUS problem. I tell everyone it's "Compulsive Crafting"...I do make lots of things, but there's hundreds more I want to make,too. I finish almost all of them,and I have boxes and bins of finished crafts. I also have boxes and boxes of things saved to make other ideas I had or see.

• smickerdoodle
    15 years ago

I love to see other people's works of art. It is wonderful inspiration to create my own art. I save a lot of pictures of things but I never try to exactly replicate it. I always try to put my own twist on things. Not only is it rewarding to create something unique, but I would never want to take credit for something someone else came up with. If I do copy someone else's design I always tell people where I got the idea.

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Oh yes, too little time, too many lovely things to make!!! It's a disease all right! Craftitis I think!! Once you start you are addicted to it & almost impossible to control or cure!! May pass it on to others around you also or e-mail friends. Medications don't work on it & sleep may aggravate the condition!! It's related to GJitis! Jan

• justlinda
    15 years ago

I think that I'm a craft-a-holic, and I'm afraid there's absolutely no cure.

;)

• oddie
    15 years ago

My name is oddie and Iam a craft-a-holic!
    dont feel preasure to craft, probley forget alot that I see and want to craft, dont be so hard on yourself, crafting should be fun and not another preasure in life!
    Happy Crafting
    oddie

• FlamingO in AR
    15 years ago

My problem is I want every cool thing I see, and I want to make it myself, usually. So I have a folder in my bookmarks that has about 100 tutorials in it, or just links to things that caught my eye for a future project. And I DO do some of them! Honest, I do! Mostly they are for sewing projects, bags especially, or ornaments. Or finger puppets.

But I don't feel pressure, just excitement. I LOVE having a project. Today I'll have some home-alone time so I'm making a road-trip wallet.

• honeysuckleridge
    15 years ago

ummm hello...I'm Ginger and I too am a "creative o'holic"...I have a 20x24' work shop full of STUFF to craft, that has been crafted, half finished and basic supplies....and you can never ever have too much.I just spent $300 yesterday cleaning out Hobby Lobby's boxed ornament and the ribbon isle. Although these are things I make my money back on it's still never enough.
    We won't even talk about my jewelry supplies that don't fit in my work shop but are in the house on 2 industrial sized rolling carts....
    I found 3 things this morning I want to try beginning tomorrow....I need help I know it but I love it...it makes me happy!!

ginger

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

After reading these replies I think crafting is our anti-depressant. Don't know that it is cheaper than pills but whole lot healthier!!(is that a word?) And it makes me very happy to see all the great stuff people post & if I make the item it makes me feel great & whoever I give it to also loves it. I love it when I am able to use up stuff I already have so it is no longer cluttering up the place(makes room for more stuff) Don't drink,can't even go to a movie, can't travel because of migraines going nuts at any weather change,lot of other things I've had to give up, like going out at night to visit, bike riding,car window down (except on super hot days) don't buy clothes(all given to me-lots are new) so got to have some vise! Crafting is a good safe hobby!! Jan

• sameboat
    15 years ago

Wreaths - I love making wreaths. It makes me happy. It's an obsession. And yes, I do think it's an antidepressant. Definitely.

• lynnencfan
    15 years ago

I think over 50+ years of crafting I have dabbled in just about everything. I have 5 sisters and 1 brother and all have done crafts of some sort all inspired by Mom who at 93 years of age is still making angel ornaments for the family - this year she did those flat beaded ones. They are not as precise as they were years ago but they are loved by all who got one. At one time I had my entire basement devoted to crafts and craft projects and did the craft shows - also had a successful doll clothes business till I lost my husband to cancer and pretty much retreated from the world and got rid of alot of stuff including about 15years of craft magazines. Now I am back to crafting again and encouraging the younger family members to get involved. I am in the process of setting up a room devoted to crafting. I have come full circle and loving it - just wish my Micheals was a little closer but it does save on the pocket book although I have discovered the fun of online shopping - lol ......

Lynne

• scarlett2001
    15 years ago

Cheaper and more fun than 40 minutes on a shrink's couch.

• huggybear_2008
    15 years ago

you guys, I think I have a problem too, I am always making something.. my son told me , we had to get a bigger house if I keep making things and also buying from on-line auctions.. LOL but it is so much fun.. I love to craft and I love to get good bargins.. I have been buying up art works from auctions and have a nice collection.. and I also have many other items from auctions.. but crafting is the best.. I love to see things that I can create out of almost nothing.. now that I think about it.. I may have to join a 12 step program.. one for crafting and one of auctions.. Hi my name is Huggy and I am addicted to crafts and auctions.. LOL only kidding folks surely not making fun of any 12 step programs.. I have some friends who have used the 12 step programs and are doing very well.. thanks to the grace of God and their programs..

Huggy

• makingthishome_katie
    15 years ago

It's been really frustrating for me lately. My answer is YES YES YES. We moved to Germany where crafting isn't quite so big, and I just can't find even the most basic things. It's really tough, and I'm hoping it'll spark a different kind of creativity for me. All I've made is this magazine holder upgrade.

Here is a link that might be useful: magazine holder from ikea

• cait1
    15 years ago

YES!!!!
    LOL

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer