Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donner_gw

Baked Potato Bag

donner
19 years ago

I'm a lurker just turned member, decided to give myself an early Christmas present. I'm wondering if anyone has the baked potato bag directions that was popular last winter. I lost mine.

Comments (9)

• evelyn_craftdiva
    19 years ago

Welcome to the board!! Glad that you decided to join us.
    The more the merrier!!

Found these instructions on the net. Hope they help.

Materials: 1/3 yard cotton fabric (for bag)
    1/3 yard or crib size cotton batting
    cotton thread
    marking pencil
    Optional Items:
    1/8 yard or 3" x 5" piece Quilter's Shades fabric color: buckskin (potato applique)
    1/8 yard or 1 package (8" X 10" sheets) Steam-a-Seam 2
    1 spool brown rayon thread

Cut:
    (1) 11" x 23" piece fabric (bag)
    (1) 10" x 22" piece fabric (lining)
    (1) 11" x 23" piece cotton batting
    Optional Applique:
    Cut 1: Buckskin color fabric in potato shap (abt. 4" x 2")

Directions: 3/8" seam allowance
    1. Place cotton batting on wrong side of bag piece. Channel quilt 1" apart lengthwise on piece.
    2. Optional: Fuse applique on front of piece, according to manufacturer's directions.
    Satin stitch around edge of applique.
    Satin stitch 6-7 "eyes" on potato, as desired. (Bag front)
    3. Trim quilted piece to measure 10" x 22".
    4. RST, stitch bag to lining around all sides, leaving a 5" opening on one long edge. Trim corners. Turn. Press lightly. Slip stitch opening.
    5. RST, fold top edge down 2" onto bag back. Fold front of bag so seamed edge matches top fold. Stitch each side. Press crease at bottom.
    6. To make box bottom: RST, bring side seam and bottom crease line together. Pin to secure. Measure 1" along seam line from end point of seam, and mark this point. Draw a line perpendicular to seam line a marked this point. Draw a line perpendicular to seam line a marked point. Stitch on line, through all thicknesses. Repeat for opposite corner. Turn right side out, turning flap to outside.
    7. To use: Wash and dry potatoes. Wrap potatoes in paper towel. DO NOT PIERCE SKIN! Place potatoes in bag and microwave, as usual, according to manufacturers directions, until done. Bag will hold up to four potatoes.
    To serve: Remove from pouch, pierce skin with fork. Let bag air dry.

RST - Right Sides Together

• donner
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks CraftDiva, from my lurking I knew I would find what I needed.

• Molly Adams
    18 years ago

what is benefit of cooking with this method, please? thanks, mol

• donner
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The potatoes cook perfectly ,moist and the skins don't get hard. Just wash potato, wrap in paper towel and put in the bag.

• lime_coke
    18 years ago

Good for baking apples and warming frozen vegetables, also.

• donner
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Lime Coke, didn't think of that. Good idea

• laylaooo
    15 years ago

i searched all over.
    go here...
    http://www.thequiltingcupboard.com/Products/Kits/misc/misc.html
    for pics, kits etc.
    i have made alot, no problems.
    everything has to be 100% cotton.
    I use quilters dream cotton,, also from this website

Here is a link that might be useful: The Quilting Cupboard

• daddysangle83_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

I've been trying to make a potato bag but not having any luck on this. I'm using all cotton fabric,thread and all tan warm and natural batting but my seem line keep scorching.I've even tried 100% pre-quiltted fabric to and the same thing happen to my seem lines. can any one help me this is driving me crazy. thanks Kim

• happysewer2009
    15 years ago

I know you should use 100% cotton (besides the Warm and Natural for batting), my question is does it matter the weight of the cotton? Is it safe to use the lighter weight cotton such as that used for quilts and other projects or does it need heavier weighted material? How about cotton flannel? I have had a couple scorch on me.
    Thanks for any help you can give me.