Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
craftyshe

Pleas share your idea's for gifts for kids to make.

craftyshe
16 years ago

I work with kindergartens.Looking for Christmas idea's for the kids to make & give has gifts to their parents.

Comments (9)

• barb_from_pa
    16 years ago

We are doing a cookbook for the parent gift at preschool this year. We take each child aside separately and ask how to make their favorite food. The recipes are really cute and you can have them draw pictures to illustrate the cookbook if you wish.

• Adella Bedella
    16 years ago

Here is a post for sugar shakers to make with kids that I posted a couple of years ago. Someone else on here gave me the idea to add cinnamon and now we call them 'cinnamon sprinkles'. We make these almost every year and my kids love it. I buy the cheapest generic salt and pepper shakers I can find. We make them in Christmas colors. Every child gets a bag with a cup of sugar, food coloring, and cinnamon to shake. Leave one bag without food coloring. It adds a little variety in the layering.

Also, I find it helps to dry them in the oven a little while so it doesnt clump. It may need to be a two day project for the class. Keep a plate or bowl under the shakers when you are filling them to catch the spills.

At the end, make a little tag saying to use the cinnamon sprinkles on hot buttered toast for cinnamon toast. Tie on with curly ribbon. It makes a nice gift because it is consumable and the kids do get to help with a majority of the work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sugar Shakers

• iowagirl2006
    16 years ago

I love the cookbook that my DD made in Kindergarten.

We go to a small school, so all those kids are still in her class - in High School now!

The teacher put a picture of each kid with the recipe and the cover was laminated and she had them bound (the school had the binding machine)

My kids have brought home some cute things when they were in Kindergarten...

One of my favorites also, was a Candy Cane Mouse - so cute :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Candy Cane Mouse

• ninos
    16 years ago

Last year i was in charge of my DD's kindergarten Christmas craft. I had limited time with the kids so i also did the candy cane mouse. Its is simple, easy, and there is no mess. I had the mouse bodies already preped. I had everything cut out and made the slit for the ears. I recommend hot glueing the felt piece in the back as prep too. Regular glue takes to long to dry and the candy cane can rip it off. All the kids had to do was assemble the ears, glue on the eyes, glue on the nose, and insert the candy cane. I bought different colored puff balls for the noses so the kids got to pick they color that they wanted.

• anniebear
    16 years ago

I too received a cookbook when my oldest son was in kindergarten, I treasure it! The teacher had them tell them the ingredients, and how to make it. I came across this the other day and just laughed so much. He is 19 now and would not trade that gift for anything.

• tuscaroramaiden
    16 years ago

I've never worked with kids, but I've made these before when I didn't have much money for Christmas ornaments.
    I made tassels out of wooden candle cups that I painted (with silver stars or whatever), then wound yarn around cardboard; tied the yarn together at one edge of the cardboard & cut the other edge. Then I fed the string used to tie the yarn together through the candle cup to make the "skirt" of the tassel (the part that the candle is supposed to fit into will cover the top of "skirt").

• cindytx
    16 years ago

I just did this with my 6 month old grandson. My sweet daughter-in-law invited us to dinner and I brought the supplies and we did three of them and they are adorable. I would love this is my child brought it home and it's made from things most teachers have in the classroom already. We didn't use the wiggle eyes...just used our fingers!

I still have most of the homemade school Christmas projects my kids did and they are 31, 27 and 26 - just can't let them go !

Cindy

Here is a link that might be useful: Handprint Santas

• clutterbugs
    16 years ago

i love all these ideas,i have done some of them with my class " pre-k" the thing i have done for the past few years is a cd case picture frame. easy and parents love it. i get the peel & stick foam christmas shapes for the dollar store and let the kids add then to edge of the cd case ( i use the slim cases as they are cheaper and more to a box) i then add a picture i have taken of the kids dressed as santas,rudolph,angel,elf....they sit in front of the lil tree in the classroom and love watching each other put on the cool hats/headbands./rudoplh nose (even our santa & elf's wear the nose! )i then add a few strips of magnet tape and let the kids wrap them up!

• piper101
    16 years ago

In Kindergarten my son made this: Xmas tree ornament using puzzle pieces. You take any old puzzle pieces that the teacher will have to spray paint green. 3 popsicle sticks, a picture of the child (or not), a little brown square for the stump and some paper for the backing. The child just glues the pieces onto the triangle made from the popsicle sticks, Then glue on the stump. The teacher can put the childs picture on attached beneath all of the this and paper on the back along with a hanger glued on. It has been my favorite of all the little ornament things he's made. Very cute!!!