Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wool keep or throw out?

Posted by iwantakitchen (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 2, 07 at 16:04

I have 3 queen wool quilts. These were made at a woolen mill. The material of all of them are worn so will need to buy another. The mill says it is best to just get a new quilt instead of paying the cost to use the wool from these quilts. What I don't know is the wool sellabe or do I just toss it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wool keep or throw out?

I saw a lady at the craft fair that had Mittens made out of wool . Who knows - she might have recycled ,too !
People were buying them left & right. Don't throw those quilts away yet !

o

Lots of folks or rather crafters are using the wool to make things such as purses, etc. and then do the shrinking to make a "felted" purse or other items. Seems to be a popular craft with some. Hang onto it and give to someone who wants them. Or you might make a duvet and recover them for blankets. Or put one in a plastic bag in the trunk of your car for emergencies.....Please don't throw wool away !

o

Probably not sellable, but it could certainly be re-used.

You could make felted items as the others have suggested. Or if you aren't interested, try freecycle.

o

That is what I was wondering if it is sellable at places like ebay.

o

I think, depending on the color and pattern, it could be very desirable on eBay.

Crafters love it - as Posie said.

If you eBay it, make sure you have that in the description so it comes up in the search when Crafters are looking for it.

o

There is no pattern or color. The wool is the stuffing in the quilts. I was wondering if the wool (stuffing) is sellable? This is real wool from a woolen mill and can be cleaned and carded, recarded? Is that the word for it?

o

Here I am again. In my state we have two well-known woolen mills. I don't know where you live, but most of the mills will redo your blankets for you. A friend of mine makes her own tops or duvets and has the woolen mill put them together and tie them for her. She has her own sheep and shears her sheep and takes the wool to the woolen mill and they also make it into a "bat" for her quilts. Not sure what they charge.If you have a mill or a woolen sales store, I'd check with them. I noticed that a well known store here called "Cold Water Creek" is selling felted jackets and they aren't cheap !

o

I have talked to the mill and they tell me it is cheaper to just get a new one than to use my old wool.

o

I'm sure crafters would snatch that up on E Bay !
I've even seen dryer lint for sale -- and it SOLD !!!

LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here