Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dowbright_gw

need suggestions for material to use

dowbright
11 years ago

I bought two of these little figurines, thinking I could use them as bookends. But--of course!--they turn out to slide too easily. I want to put something on the bottom that will be non-skid. Some kind of pliable rubber or something.

But I don't do any hobbies or have any knowledge of what kind of stuff to buy to cut to the shape of the figurine. You folks who are so very good with crafts might have an idea for me, I hope.

I appreciate any ideas very much!

Comments (9)

• jollyrd
    11 years ago

would a piece of thin corkboard work? they sell them in office supply stores or craft stores

• dowbright
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've never felt corkboard. Does it slide, do you know? Thank you!

• grandma_bonnie
    11 years ago

I remember when I would make make slippers, I used puff paint in designs of them and then used an iron close over it to make it puff up they stuck on wooden floors! Something to check anyway.

• sunnyca_gw
    11 years ago

Most bookends used to come with felt glued on bottom but I think it would slid if your surface is not flat. They have pre-glued felt pieces in pkg about 9x12 inches in several colors. Might get that & put on 1st & then get some of those little circles of cork or rubber. Used to keep from scratching furniture or wall. Come in flat packets with 1/4 in to 1 in. or larger circles & could put 4 glued on top of the felt piece. That way wouldn't scratch anything & circles should keep it from sliding. However bookends are supposed to be weighted so the weight of books might just keep knocking them over. Cute figurines so might use use in same bookshelf but not to hold books up. They have "L" shaped metal that slide under books & stand up & they are pretty good at holding books in p[lace & then just set the figurines next to them. They come in sliver, black & some other colors & are pretty cheap!

• dowbright
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for the suggestions! I think I'll try the circles idea from sunnyca first. If they are too light to hold the books, I'll use the bookends you talked about and the figurine alone. I have lots of those left over from the huge library I bought for my classroom over the years.

I love this forum!

• JoAnn_Fla
    11 years ago

I would use that rubbery shelf liner and glue it to the bottom. It won't move then

• sameboat
    11 years ago

Do you have one of those flat, round rubber grips you use to open jars? They are usually a promo giveaway type thing. You could cut out small shapes and glue to the bottom of your figurines.

• dowbright
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Everyone: these are brilliant ideas! I'm so grateful that I thought of this craft forum for possibilities.

I'm a really, really good reading teacher, so I have something to feel good about. :) But I have NO knowledge or skills about these kind of ideas. I've been trying to come up with something for ages, and here you folks do it in a couple days. You guys are GOOOOOD! :D

• dianelea
    11 years ago

Just a note about the rubbery shelf liner. It's good to use under a cutting board to stablize it when chopping. It's really non-slip. It's available at Dollar stores if you need a little bit.

Sponsored