Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
railroadertwo

window decorations

Railroader
12 years ago

On one of our visits to my mother-in-law in a nursing home, we saw that her roommate had some window decorations made by her daughter that was made in part at least with old discarded Computer CD's, they were very cute my wife thought, I have searched the web for something like this and have not had any acceptable results. Has anyone here seen anything like this? Thank You

Comments (6)

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

Yes, if you can get to it. On Garden Junk forum a post close to top says something about a "man cave"by NM, it takes you to a recycling site & you will see key holder made of old sparkplugs cleaned up. There is a large on each side of pic. If you click on the 1 on the left side of screen a couple of times you will come to the most beautiful Cd things. It is German site I think but the wording under project is in English. They used some sort of saw, would like to get English translation of that as they are so nice would love to try it. The site has projects from recycled things for every day of year I guess, going the > way about the 3rd 1 was a neat bulletin board of old corks! Great for teen's room or sewing room. Some said they couldn't get on site but I just clicked & it came up. Good Luck! Jan

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

Here's a direct link to the post I think Jan is talking about.

This is a pretty neat site. I've been browsing it for a couple days now.

Here is a link that might be useful: CD Art

• Railroader
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for the info, while I realize there could be all kinds of variations of art using old Cd's, the one we saw had lots of birds on it.

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

Can you give us some more info - some description. Were they cut out? Painted on? Still flat? Or 3D? You say they were in part with CDs - so what else were part of the decorations?

• Railroader
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My wife doesn't remember, it has been a few years, she said it had birds and other ornaments on it, it was like a mobile. The daughter that made it, said she got a pattern somewhere. Thank You for you reply. It is appreciated.

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

On GJ forum there were some CD's with small holes drilled along bottom edge in a curved row so spaced out over about 4 inches or so. each hole had chain attached & then something hanging down from it. Could be small spoons or beads, very cute wind chimes. Someone earlier than that took old keys & glued them on 1 on both sides I think & drilled hole in top & hung in a tree(or in a window would work if you wanted it to show from inside the house) She had spray painted the whole works. Where are the birds-on CD or hanging from it? Sounds interesting! Jan