Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using mod podge?

Posted by party_music50 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 25, 12 at 12:25

Hello all -- Merry Christmas!

I have my first ever bottles of mod podge! I'm so excited. lol! I searched the net for ideas for usage and everything I found involves using it like glue to stick paper to something, and then covering the entire thing in mod podge again to seal or finish it.

Is that all there is? What are cool things to do with mod podge? I can use any and all tips on this. None of the sites said, but I assume I should just pour out some MP into a cup -- and then use a sponge brush to apply it thickly to some object.

Would MP work to apply dried/pressed flowers to something? Can the dried flowers then be covered in MP to seal them? :)

Thanks for any help and ideas! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using mod podge?

I usually apply with a brush. I usually use on flat surfaces.

I've taken plain wooden boxes and painted and decoupaged them. I've taken clear glass plates and decoupage on the back so the pattern shows through from the front...for decoration only, not eating.

I've decoupaged on the front of furniture to decorate painted thrift store finds.

I've taken cheap vases and decoupage the exterior and then streaked it roughly with rub n buff for an antiqued look.

I've spent lots of time in front of the TV cutting out interesting things from decorating magazines to use for decoupage, like birds, columns, statues, etc. Good for keeping the hands busy. You can also get wallpaper books for free that are discontinued and decouapge the wallpaper cutouts.

o

Im working on a project now Im using paper birch bark to cover picture frame for hubbys new office.He goes on big game hunts so I thought this would be neat on a photo frame.
I did a frame once where I covered the matt with a map of where he was on that hunt,He can look at it and say oh this is when I was in colorado,neat.

o

I saw someone once who did beautiful decoupage using onion skins. Delicate and amazing and a high degree of patience required.

o

There are some amazing examples on Pinterest if you ever want some inspiration - it inspired me to have a go at my very own mod podge plant pot (not the greatest lol)

http://www.the-chic-boutique.co.uk/time-mod-podge-life-plant-pots/

Here is a link that might be useful: plant pot mod podge

o

One of my favorite things is my queen amidala lamp, I used qa paper dolls.
I used to decoupage a lot, but have switched to mosaics because decoupage fades in the sun and can't hold color outdoors, even on a porch.
Kathy

o

Here's a blog you might like. I ran across it a few days ago.
http://modpodgerocksblog.com/

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here