Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minnie_tx

Anyone miss the old Aleene's Craft shows?

minnie_tx
19 years ago

I do and have a whole lot of tapes of various segments. I think Tiffany is working for Delta Crafts now but I wish that show was still on.

Aleene you may remember was one of the first TV Craft personalities from years ago and patented the famous "Tacky" Glue. I liked Heidi best and they had some great guests on.

Comments (136)

• desertgypsy2
    15 years ago

Score. Jones Tones has all the glues and foils a gal could want. After I looked at Dharma I googled and found it at the link at the bottom.
    Good prices, and pretty colors of foil. Thank you so much flakeinfla. I had faith someone would know something and you came through. Bright Blessings, and hagd.

Here is a link that might be useful: Joggles

• minnie_tx
    Original Author
    15 years ago

They used to advertise Jones Tones as being very flexible too. Like when you put it on a shirt it isn't just hard paint.

• flakefromfla
    15 years ago

Glad to be of help. I know how frustrating it can be not to be able to find a product you have been using for years.

• desertgypsy2
    15 years ago

Just wanted to let everyone know I received my foil glue and a big new pack of assorted colored foil today. The glue is the same consistency as Aleene's used to be. It holds it shape, and does not run when applied to an upright surface. I am so happy. Thanks again everyone, and especially flakefromfla.

• desertgypsy2
    15 years ago

I just read on Joan Fees blog that Marlene Watson recently had a stroke and was at home recovering. I'm sure everyone remembers both of these ladies from the Aleene's creative living show. This made me very sad this morning. Joan is asking anyone who would like to send well wishes could email her at...joanfee@ymail.com
    Lets keep Marlene in our thoughts.

Here is a link that might be useful: Joans blog link

• minnie_tx
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks I just sent an email

• desertgypsy2
    15 years ago

I just found this site by accident while looking for something else. It's a radio call in internet show by Tiffany set to air on April 26th. The first guests are supposed to be Aleene, Heidi and Candice. I'm not sure how the whole thing works but I signed up anyway.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aleene on the radio

• desertgypsy2
    15 years ago

Tiffany, I signed up for your facebook group as well. I have never been swayed to join one of the social sites until now. I guess I'll have to figure out how that whole thing works. I can't wait for the radio show to premiere. I am looking forward to hearing Aleene's voice again. Bright Blessings.

• craftymama-mn
    15 years ago

I can't believe how long this post has been running! I am brand new to this. Does anyone remember a gal who use to do a lot of really cute painting ideas on Aleene's (bees, watermelons ect..) she was plus size, dark hair and glasses, I just loved her stuff and I want to know if, she has a web site? I too miss Katherine Tidwell Bieber. I still do ribbon embroidery because of her. I would love to find a website on her as well.
    Please e-mail me with any leads.
    Thanks

• ritafz
    15 years ago

craftymama, I know who you are talking about. I can't remember her name off hand but I do remember seeing her on Carol Duvall's shows a few times.

• desertgypsy2
    15 years ago

Craftymama. I remember her. I sure wish I could think of her name. I'll try and do a little research and get back to you.

• desertgypsy2
    14 years ago

Minnie, Are those the 2 girls that were very close friends with bubbly personalities? I was wondering there names as well. They were so cute. I think they worked for Hobby Lobby at the time.

I listened to the radio show last week and it was so great to hear those familiar voices, especially Aleene. Can't wait for the next one. They mentioned a website called favcrafts.com I checked it out and boy is it a good one. Go see, lots of ideas.

• desertgypsy2
    14 years ago

Wanted to remind everyone tonight is the next Inspired at Home internet radio show. It was great to hear Aleene's voice last week. If we get the following of this radio show up maybe the girls will be able to find a producer for a TV show again. Help spread the word. Oh, and Aleene has a facebook page. Join and keep in touch.

Here is a link that might be useful: Inspired at Home on facebook

• minnie_tx
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Teresa have you read all the postings on here they might give you a clue in finding where to view the show. Love your website have you posted over on the Knitting/crochet forum?

Here is a link that might be useful: Crochet Forum

• SCERVANTES46_YAHOO_COM
    13 years ago

Please respond to my prior email when possible, I really need to know where to buy Aleene's books for Stiffy Bows. Please let me know.

• salberty_shidlerok_net
    13 years ago

I use to have a craft store in the 80's. Attended alot of Aleene's craft simenars. Also use to teacher mothers crafts at the elementary school where I live. Really miss that show.

• mloucul63_aol_com
    13 years ago

My mother and I were lucky enough to go on the Aleene's craft cruise to Alaska. We got to do projects with Heidi! It was so special and a memory I will never forget.

• minnie_tx
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I lost track of this thread and glad someone started it up again. I am mostly into crocheting right now there is no place in town to share creative juices. The so-called craft shows on TV are pretty awful
    Tiffany glad to see you post again I put that website in my favorites and will check on it.
    Say hi to MOM.

• flyingflower
    12 years ago

I went to a craft show when I was a kid and Aleene was there! It could have been the Caravan, I don't know, but the year sounds about right. I was 10 in 1967. We lived in LA and my mother took me with her because she knew I loved art and would probably enjoy a show devoted to crafts. Aleene had a local TV show, it was pretty bare bones by today's standards but I was "glued" to it. ;-) A show about crafts was such a novelty! Up till then it was mainly established hobbies like sewing, embroidering, knitting,etc...that took years to master. Along comes Aleene with quickie projects anyone could do. That was ground-breaking.

I remember my mother flipping out over this new hobby of painting on fabric using little tubes of paint with special tips. That was the first adult "craft" supply I had seen. The paint came in a round carousel and you could buy larger or smaller carousels depending on how many colors you wanted. Ring a bell to anyone?

I watched Aleene on TV for years, always in awe of the new things she was demonstrating. One was a kind of clay you could make at home out of a common household ingredient, forget what it was now...a powder of some sort. Aleene showed us all these fast and easy crafts that anyone could make, you didn't need to attend art school or be a painter or professional artist. It was something we all could do and that's what made it so enticing. I'll never forget the tissue paper glue. I sent in a photo of a project I had done with it, just to show them and to my surprise I get a letter back saying they were putting it in their magazine and I was getting a free years subscription!

How wonderful to come across this thread and to find it still active since 2004. I am so excited to see Aleene's daughters posting here! I watched their show too. To think I would probably have never stumbled across this thread if it weren't for another show on PBS called "Creative Living with Sheryl Borden". I was watching my recording of the show today and I decided to look it up on Google because there was something about the name that rung a bell with me. That's when it hit me, the title is the same as Aleene's! Yet this show looks nothing like it so I was trying to find out if it's just coincidence that the name is the same or is this what the original show has morphed into.

Can anyone tell me if there is a link between Aleene's Creative Living and Creative Living with Sheryl Borden? The website says that show has been on the air for 34 years. I don't remember seeing it that long ago and I watched every craft show there was.

I still have my Aleene's glue gun with the funny shapped glue sticks, lol. I don't use it much anymore tho. I've moved on to cake decorating, that's the hot thing now. Yep, still doin' those crafts!

• toomuchglass
    12 years ago

I remember that show . In my old house - I couldn't get HGTV . We bought this house --- 4 miles away .... and I was so excited that I could get that channel !! I watched the show , but to me -- alot of the crafts were childish . But that's what the show was about -- simple things & scrap crafts. I still watched every day. HGTV has gotten awful ... I haven't watched it for a long time.

• minnie_tx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The name Sheryl Borden sounds familiar but can't remember why. Crafts sure have dropped off since the "good old days" now everything is kits. I have tht recipe somewhere for the clay it was using a slice of white bread and white glue.

• grandma_bonnie
    12 years ago

bump

• kennedypetshop_comcast_net
    12 years ago

miss all of the craft shows, Aleene's Carol Duvall all of those good ones. Also Trash to Treasures[think that was what it was called ].Where have they all gone?

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

I don't understand it because it seems that young women are into handwork again, may be in a way that women now in their 40s weren't. At least it seems so. And recycling is so big too. Maybe tv shows and magazines are not where its happening any more.
    Kathy

• Marie1955
    12 years ago

I miss Aleene's Craft Show terribly. I found some of my old VHS tapes recently. I used to tape the segments that I could. It's great to find so many that feel the same way I do. I sat up til 4:00am this morning watching some of the video's. It would be absolutely wonderful if they could put the shows on dvd's, or do re-runs of the show.

While some crafting may have fallen by the wayside, I'm sure after reading all the posts that there are many like us that still love to craft. With the economy like it is everywhere, I believe that Aleene's old re-runs would come in handy about now. Aleene and her family seemed to know early on that recycling and being eco-friendly was the way to go.

Mother Earth has been sadly mistreated. I'm sure you're all seen the commercial about just the empty water bottles and how many times they would circle the Earth.

I was in retail all my life. Now I find myself at an early age (56) disabled from doing my job, and loving the retail industry. The mind is willing but the body can no longer hold up.

I very much intend to watch every last taped segment of Aleene's over and over again; and begin crafting again. I may be a little slower, but maybe the old mind will begin to work again. I also loved the way I could watch Aleene's and watch one thing, and my mind also see something else. Great way for generating new ideas, and repurposing things.

I am so happy to have stumbled onto this site, and became a new member today. It might be nice if we could share Ideas and projects that each have worked on/are working on; or perhaps share tapes we may have ( maybe make copies) for each other. Maybe Heidi or Tiffany could have some ideas as to how to go about getting copies of all the segments they did? I would love to hear from others by e-mail rather like an e-mail pen pals. That would be nice. I know we're all busy with life and all it brings... but sharing would be wonderful. Thanks for having me. My e-mail is: designingrose@hotmail.com

• toomuchglass
    12 years ago

Wouldn't it be nice if some kind of "movement" took place -- a mass writing to HGTV to bring in some new craft shows that focuses on simple crafts that specialize in recycled stuff ? Boy -- HGTV is really missing the boat . Now is the perfect time for a show like that . The ratings would be through the roof !

• chelcass
    12 years ago

TMG, You have the right idea. If everybody here wrote, e-mailed, faxed, phones, texted or whatever it takes to get HGTV attention and told them we want Aleene's, Carol Duvall, Trash to Treasures, etc., brought back maybe someone would listen. It would be a lot cheaper to do re-runs then to produce new shows. It's worth a shot!!!!

Let them know we are sick of the garbage they are showing now!!

• minnie_tx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Marie I'm like you I also taped so many of her shows finally gave them away. I even madea catalog of what was on each tape.

I think it would be nice if HGTV would show them but I think they have turned their programming over to so-called modern day yuppies who have no real knowledge of what is going on in the real world. IMHO

• vera123
    12 years ago

I loved Aleene's & recently found a bunch of my Aleene's Creative Living magazines packed away. We do need a crafting show on tv instead of some of the nonsense they show.

• kayjones
    12 years ago

Here is the link to send your messages directly to the program folks at HGTV:

http://www.hgtv.com/contact-us/package/index.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Contact HGTV via the web

• minnie_tx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Kay I think their programming needs to be changed

• Dakitsie2
    12 years ago

I also miss all the old shows. I grew up with Aleene and her daughters inspiring me. I still make the bread dough roses! I am so glad to see so many who want to bring the good ole days back. My friend and I were just talking about this last week and I went seaching and came across this forum. I am building a studio in my home right now..there are still lots of crafters out here. I too have aleene's shows on video, her magazines and books. Still love to look for inspiration. I miss everyone. Come on ladies lets do something about this. Don't give up!

• MCook55
    11 years ago

Does anyone have instructions from Aleene's tv show on how to make "clothesline" tissue paper flowers. I think they used wire and tissue paper and the the flowers were quite small.
    I'd appreciate any help with this ... thanks

• grandma_bonnie
    11 years ago

...seems to me there was another more recent reply to this thread - where did it go?

• eah14
    10 years ago

Go to Youtube and look up Cool2Craft. Tiffany and Heidi are still doing shows there for Craft TV.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cool2Craft Youtube Channel

• karenmo
    10 years ago

I miss ALL of the craft shows that were on TV, including Aleene's! I have no way of knowing when new products come to market, and when I see them in the stores, I have no idea what to do with them!

• grandma_bonnie
    10 years ago

I know what you mean... I have to go to the internet to find out how they work - I also check out complaints about the product too... Does anyone remember when Aleene's was on the Nashville channel? ...and I still miss Carol Duvall she's the one who made me believe I could do crafts... She didn't have a product to sell - she just wanted to share her crafts with us...

• medinaangelina8
    8 years ago

I miss thier shows wat happened to them

• Kim Fortin
    7 years ago

I have been a fan of Aleene's for many years. I had my own craft business where I handpainted clothing for local festivals and events. I was called Creations by Kim (Va. Beach, Va.) back in early to mid 1990's. I never missed a show and taped them all, VHS of course of which I have none of my tapes. One show in particular, they announced the winner of their handpainted clothing contest whereas a friend of mine Pennie Griff won the contest. She handpainted a vest with a teapot theme and she recently found the letter that announced her as the winner and congratulated her. Does anyone know if there is a youtube video floating around that talked about that contest? My friend Pennie and I were talking about it recently and I told her I would try and find it. If Heidi or Tiffany still posts and comments on the blog, perhaps they would remember that contest entry and winner. Thank you and what memories this brought back for me.

• PRO
    Palm Coast Kitchens
    7 years ago

Does anyone remember the woman named "Bunny" I believe from the Aleenes Creative Living show? A few years back I bought a wallpaper mural from a company I believe she was associated with and I'm looking for another. Thanks!

• grandma_bonnie
    7 years ago

I wonder if you mean Kitty Bartholamew from the Home Show with Carol Duvall

• PRO
    Palm Coast Kitchens
    7 years ago

No, I'm pretty sure it was Bunny, but at least we're still in the animal genre! LOL! She was on Aleenes show mainly, seemed like an older woman, but I was a much younger woman back in those days! Again, the company she was associated with was a Trompe L'oeil (fool the eye) design company that sold prepasted wallpaper with very realistic designs on them. I bought one back in 2002 and wanted to get another. It was very high quality and I still have it today.

• pamela6937
    7 years ago

I miss Aleene's but also Carol Duvall and all of the craft shows on "The Home and Garden Network" that appeared in the early 2000"s. Before the DVR I taped them and watched them over and over again. I was visiting my cousin the other day and she had her fall decorations out and I admired some pilgrims and she said, "you made those and gave them to me". It took me back to those days. I still love crafts and make an effort to balance work with crafting and art. I know my daughter's generation would watch and enjoy a Craft Network for their creative time with my grandchildren.

• Melissa Mercer
    7 years ago

I am looking for an old issue of Aleene's Creative Living Magazine that features a wooden stool with Noah's Ark picture decoupaged to the top and the verse on the legs...Can ayone help me with this.

• midnightneversleeps
    7 years ago

I just bought Aleene's famous Tacky Glue the other day and my husband and I were thinking about her show and wondering how she was. Was saddened to see that she had passed away as well as Cheryl Ball who had done all of the cool painting on her show. Bunny DeLorie who was also on the show is realtor now. Boy, I sure miss the show and have fond memories of the crafts my daughter and I did that came from it.

• karenmo
    7 years ago

I miss ALL of the crafty shows that used to be on TV!

• pamela6937
    7 years ago

likewise, I was a faithful viewer and miss all the ideas. I seem to be left on my own to refer back to old issues of the magazines.

• pamela6937
    7 years ago

I've been on TV before and would happily volunteer to host an old/new Craft Masters in sharing their talents. After watching craft shows for years, I seem to know a little about everything crafty but am by no means a Master but I know you are out there somewhere.

• Francine St-denis
    6 years ago

I do miss Alene's crafting show. I had taped most semants but lost the tapes in a flood. On July 10th I had a new granddaughter and deciddd to knit a Jumpsuit I believed I saw in an Alene's weekly crafting magazine. Anyone remember those. I used to get the monthly. But for some reason I would get a weekly once in a while. I'm going to post a picture of s little outfit I want to make not only for my granfmddauggter for my nieces babies due in November. A boy and a girl. So I'm really hoping to find this one. Thank you in advance for all your help.

Francine

fralou91@hotmail.com

• PRO
    Lisa's Creative Designs
    6 years ago

Oh I do! Back in the late to mid 90's I loved all the crafts shows that were on. I also miss HGTV's shows like Decorating Cents, Room By Room and the others that were focused on decorating. Now that channel is too focused on buying and selling.