Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone miss the old Aleene's Craft shows?

Posted by Minnie_TX (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 12, 04 at 12:09

I do and have a whole lot of tapes of various segments. I think Tiffany is working for Delta Crafts now but I wish that show was still on.
Aleene you may remember was one of the first TV Craft personalities from years ago and patented the famous "Tacky" Glue. I liked Heidi best and they had some great guests on.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone miss the old Aleene's Craft shows?

I miss it too! I guess the tacky glue is the only product they still make.
Susan in Bama

o

They continue making all kinds of adhesives......check the shelves at Michaels and Walmart.
The good ol' tacky glue in the gold bottle is still about the best. Very good strong PVA glue.

o

Yep...the old shows were great! I remember Heidi's challenges, they were great and she always came up with the neatest things people sent her!

o

Those challenges were so much fun. Iliked the different guests they had on often. I know Heidi and her daughter Star had a tea shope in Ca near the studios It was all about Angels. I guess I'll have to do another search. I'm looking for Aleene's Biography in the used books I think it is called "Tacky Lady"

o

Yes, I used to tape it daily since I work outside the home, and watched it every night after dinner. I was really upset when they took it off the air. I have the "Big Book" of crafts and have used ideas from it many times for Homemakers projects. Read her book " A Tacky Lady" - was very interesting. I am a floral designer and sometimes they would incorrectly identifly flowers they were working with, but I still enjoyed the show.

o

hi there, i miss allene's show too, i like to know if any one rembor any show that you can make a butterfly from feathers , by putting them togeather some how and pating the feather wings. if any one know s about how doing it you has a copy or instructions please let me know,
thanks

o

I miss that show too. After I retired would watch it every day. I do remember that it used to come on Saturday mornings here years ago. I notice all the craft magazines have gone the way of Aleene's craft show, down the drain!

o

You might look at one of these links

Here is a link that might be useful: Aleene's butterflies from feathers - Google Search

o

I love Tacky Glue, and I always admired Aleene. Tiffany was a little too 'sweet' for me, but a nice person. Liked Heidi, didn't care for some of the 'trash to treasure' stuff, but liked her creativity.

Somewhere along the line I seem to remember hearing that there was a family falling out between all of them, but don't recall details, so don't quote me on that.

o

I used to watch it - but it was just too much "Scrap crafts" for me. I did like Aleene though - she seemed like a very nice lady .

o

Here's a page with some of Heidi's projects http://www.inspiredathome.com/V.2.2/2.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Inspired at Home

o

Thanks snolady for that link. I enjoyed reading the bios too. I wonder if Aleene herself is still around. I hope so.
I think I have over 30 VCR tapes of things from the old Aleenes show that I taped.

o

I miss it terribly!!! Aleene was and still is such a big creative inspiration for me. I collect her old books/pamplets and have them in frames as art work in my
work room.
Duncan bought out the Aleene's line of glues and whatever else they want to put her name on....
http://www.aleenes.com/

I know Heidi had a show in the works called "A Creative Spark" www.acreativespark.com but I can't get the website to pull up right this second.

If you type in Free Craft Tips from Aleene into Google it will lead you to a website to sign up for a daily newsletter with all kinds of great ideas.

I use to love the girls from Hobby Lobby Patti Donham and I'm sorry can't remember the other girls name...but here's Patti's website
http://www.pattiewack.com/

I remember seeing Carol Duvall the first time on the "Home" show...I miss that show too.

ginger

o

Oh my,yes, I miss Aleene.I watch Carol Duvall on HGTV but it's not the same.I wish I had taped Aleene's show, or taken notes because she had some good ideas on recycling things around the house.

o

Yes, I used to enjoy watching her too. People just are not into craft like that anymore. I think she got out of the business just in time.

o

Here's the latest project of Tiffany Windsor.
http://www.922you.com/

And here's a page about Aleene Jackson

http://www.inspiredathome.com/Tiffany Windsor Media/Aleene Jackson - Biography.htm

o

Tiffany Windsor recently posed for Playboy magazine. :0

o

I made a cute snowman table from a pattern in her magazine. I just saw the magazine and pattern before Christmas when I was going through my old stash of Christmas/Snowman magazines.

It is one of those small round tables that you buy in a box.

It was painted blue and you cut the snowmen and stars out of sponges and sponged them on. You added "snowflakes" with a pencil eraser.

I will hunt it up and scan it (the magazine article) to post if you don't think that would be a no-no.

I loved her magazine.

Wasn't the craft show on TNN?

o

I miss them too. Saw Heidi and Starr years ago when I Helped to re-organize Heidi's craft room above her garage. Such a beautiful room with nothing but windows all around in Cambria CA. Heidi is such a great gal - you feel like you've known her all your life after being with her for a few minutes... I remember Carol Duval on the Home show with Kitty Bartholamew (sp) - Woody was the producer on the Home Show as well as her show on HGTV - remember when Woody had to stand in for Carol when she was sick for her Christmas shows a couple of years ago? Yep - they influenced my life alot - My first project was to use shrink art (yes, it was called shrink art back then) to make earrings - I was abound 35 at the time and I found it was OK to make things/be creative and I still make things... Good memories...

o

I also watched it all the time and taped a lot of the shows. They were put on the old tapes. Trying to get my husband to put them on cd's. He bought the vcr to do it. I enjoyed the show very much. Also have the "Big Book of Crafts and some other books.
linda

o

Oh boy - I started my crafting projects watching Aileene and her daughters so many many years ago. I have several of their books and wish I had old video tapes of the shows. Like everything else in life I guess crafts have gone through a transition and their style sortof went 'out of style'. While I do miss them I hope they are all happy doing whatever and where ever life has lead them. They certainly inspired me into being creative.

This is my first post on this forum having come over from the Christmas/Holiday Forum. I hope to get some creative juices going again after a couple of years of being away because of personal life changes......

Lynne

o

Anybody remember Patty and Darcy?

Here is a link that might be useful: Patty's craft page

o

Hi Everyone,
Heidi Here from the old Aleene's TV show. Just stubbled across this forum.
Thank you for all of your kind comments. The TV show was great fun. There are days that I miss it and other days I remember how much work it was. I still create everyday in my newest studio. We moved last year.
Looking forward to chatting with you.

o

Hi Heidi, So nice to have you stop by. So you are still creating? Are you publishing any of them or doing any shows? The tv show was so wonderful because there were always projects that didn't take allot of money yet turned out so pretty.

And tell us about your Mom and sister. What are they doing now? I hope your Mom made a fortune with all her great glue products and publications and can really relax and enjoy her "retirement" now.

Isn't it great to know how the three of you influenced so many people with your creativity? Your show was so loved and appreciated.

Luvs

o

Heidi! I seem to remember your not being comfortable with the computer the last time we spoke, didn't know a thing about computers... lol Isn't it fun? lol BTW - the ribbon and the flowers you gave me were used at my son's wedding... He got married in '99 sdo it was before that year that I helped my cousin Maryanne when we worked in your craft room. You moved from Cambria? Are Starr and the kids still there. Good memories...

o

I loved that show and watched everyday.I also taped them in case i couldn't be home.I think i still have some of the tapes,and i have some of the books and pamplets as well.My favorite glue is the thick designer tacky glue in the pink jar.Which i havn't been able to find in quite sometime so i have to buy a couple of bottles as i can't find the bigger bottles of it either.I use all the other Aleens glues as well.

I also watched and taped Carol Duvall.And loved Kitty Bartholomew,and Sally(can't remember sally's last name) Always said if i ever struck it rich i'd hire those 2 to decorate my house.I'm still waiting!!! LOL

I have pictures of Heidi's newly decorated room that i tore out of a magazine many years ago,or so it seems.
Kathi

PS,Hi Heidi,and welcome to the forum.Hope you'll stick around and chat with us.

o

Very nice to see you on here Heidi! Your show was wonderful...I miss it! I am also known as granny2ricky (an above poster) I have three grandsons now so hence the name change! Hope you pop in now and then with some new ideas for us.

o

Thanks everyone for your kind words about the TV show. Aleene(mom)is doing well. She had moved to the desert for several years(as she had purchased a hotel). She is now back in Thousand Oaks, Ca.(near My younger brother).I see her about once a month. She will 84 this next week. She is no longer involved in the glue business. Tiffany lives and works in the desert. She is working for a gallery/event center in Palm Springs.
I have a new book coming out this spring "Green Bling" Jewelry made from plastic water bottles.(Leisure Arts)Yes I'm still recycling. Also have a book on "Mosaics Beginners Guide to Mosaics", and a "Paper Jewelry" Book I created with both my sisters. Also have a line of Jewelry made from Aluminum Soda Cans(www.sodapoppy.com) Web site is up but not everything is on it yet.
I promise to keep in touch.Luv Heidi

o

I'm thrilled that Heidi is posting. I think I have about 22 video tapes I made of the shows and actually have a log showing the items taped and the order they appear on my tapes. I love the trash items
wishing the whole family well.

o

Thank you so much Heidi for the brief summary of what the family is up to. Loved the show and have many of your families books. I especially like the one Something from Nothing - Treasures from Trash - I have done many of the projects and have more earmarked to do.

Thank you again and be sure and thank your Mom, Tiffany and the rest of the family also for all your inspirations over the years.....

Lynne

o

Heidi Please give your Mom extra hugs when you see her again. I wish I had hugged my Mom more.

And It ws always hard for me to realize you are older than you looked.

o

I also miss their show. I watched their shows everyday when my daughters were younger. My mom would stop by and watch it with my at times. We bought a few of their items plus a lot of her glues which we still have today. The one item I liked best was her beading loom. I did a lot of the bracelets from their book for my family, but the sad thing is that my beading loom broke and I can't seem to find another one. I've tried Google but nothing. Does anyone know where I can find another one? I really like that loom. Glad to know that the family is doing good, I was wondering about them since the show went off the air.

o

giggles when I get time I'll look and see if I still have mine. If I do it is yours.

o

Hi Minnie

If you do find it I want to thank you in advance for it. You be doing me a big favor. Here's my email giggles071@gmail.com and let me know. Again thank you so much. An angel sent from heaven. :)

o

I'll try and do it this week thanks for the reminder!!

o

Does anyone know where Kathryn (last name?) is these days.
I enjoyed her segments on Creative Living, especially when her little daughter was on. Miss seeing their show, I taped it and then watched on week-ends. My granddaughter is going to be the lucky owner of all my craft supplies/books from Aleene... I have binders full of project sheets.

o

Hi Minnie,

I was just wondering if you found it, looking forward to making on of those bracelet from her show. Let me know and thanks again.

Wanda

o

I sure miss them. Wish they were still on tv.
They had some great guests too.
I have watched Carol Duvall
I remember Kathryn (can't seem to recall her last name). Also Marlene Watson and of course Patty D. and Marcy.

Hi to all and
a big hello to Heidi B and all the family.

o

Funny how you remember things. The highlight of my life was meeting and helping Heidi that time in Cayucos. That family was such an inspiration to so many people...

o

Yes, I do! I am wondering if Aleene is still alive?! I have her book, "A Tacky Lady", and I still have her glue. I also have several of her shows still on tape. She brought me alot of satisfaction with her craft instructions & shows. I still have MANY of her old instruction booklets. I haven't read all the previous postings here, I would just like to know if she is still alive? Thanks
Kathleen

o

Katmehl, about half way up this page, Heidi posted that her Mom is indeed alive and well. She's now living in Thousand Oaks, Ca. near her son and will be 84 on her birthday. Luvs

o

luvstocraft............thank you, I did finally read all the postings! It doesn't surprise me to find out she will be 84 after reading her biography.

o

Aleene will out live everyone! The Aleene I remember was fiesty, determined and wouldn't let anyone tell her no. It doesn't suprise me she bought a hotel, I'm only surprised she never took over Duncan. :) It's nice to hear the family is doing well. Is Fred still living on a boat in SB?

o

I wish they would put the old show on cds and sell the collections!

o

I too miss those shows! I watched them all the time and was truly inspired by their creativity. What a great family :)

I seem to remember that the business employed almost all its family members. If I'm not mistaken, one of the sons (or was it sons-in-law?) ran the business into financial hardship (filing for bankruptcy). The assets had to be sold off to pay the debts and caused Aleene to leave the glue/craft business.

Much luck to them in all their future endeavors!

o

Oh my gosh!! I was out shopping today and I found a copy of an old Aleene's book. "Creative Living book 2" I got so excited of course I bought the book and so many memories came back. I loved the shows and really loved the magazine. We really need more Aleene type crafting in life. We have gotten so techy with Cropodiles and Cricuts and all kinds of spendy stuff. I know we can't go back but I thought I would go out on the web and look for those people who remember and I found all of you . Thanks to you all and Thanks to Aleene and Heidie.

o

Glad I found this site--wondered what happened to Aleene and Heidie. I used to see Tiffany on craft shows on DIY network, but they don't show craft shows anymore. I keep going to Heidie's web site to see if she has it up and running, but the notice says it's still under construction. You would thind that with the way the economy is, people would be more interested in making things instead of paying outrageous prices. Maybe crafting will make a comeback.

o

Joan I remember you
weren't those great days?

Too bad crafting has hit a slump I'll guilty having donated all my craft supplies (well most of them) I think if the show was on again it would be great.
I think you made a nice offer and don't consider it an advertisement since you are just asking for the shipping what a great unselfish deal I've asked for a Forum here of things we want to get rid of or want but no answer from the higher ups
thanks so much for posting and bringing back some memories

o

Of course, I remember you! I can't believe you and Cheryl were both at the Olive festival in Paso Robles I elected to go yard saling that day... :~(

o

Katheryn's name in the beginning was Tidwell-Foutz then she remarried and became Katheryn Tidwell Bieber. Her blog site is http://www.blogger.com/profile/00043902724837525755

There isn't much there tho. If anyone has any of the "old gangs" websites pls post

o

WOW!!! I cannot believe that there are still so many talking about Aleene's!!! I adored watching the show "back in the day". ;)
Katheryn is actually my aunt, and I started watching because she was on it, then became addicted to watching it :)
minnie_tx, that is amazing that you have all those shows on tape! If you are ever interested in making copies, I'd love to get some from you.
joro-19 is right about Katheryn's name :)
She just had her 6th baby not very long ago too :)

o

Ok, so after I did a search of Aleene and creative living, I finally found this forum. Wow I can't believe everybody that still thinks about it. I watched it forever, wish it was on again. There has to be more to do for the young women than scrapbooking. Honestly am I the only one that finds that getting a bit old? I even taught myself to tat quite a while ago, just because I wanted to learn and there were no interesting shows out there...

o

I agree, I too think that scrapbooking is getting a bit much. When you go into Michael, half the store is about "scrapboking".

Can someone else not come up with a fresh idea.

o

I don't have my tapes anymore
when I cleaned out my craft room last summe they were part of the stuff that went See nother post about it. I would have sent them all to you if I had known.
I loved Katheryn. I always thought she added som elegance to the programs.

o

OMG, I just stumbled across this and can't believe how many other people are missing Aleene's Creative Living too! Then again, I shouldn't be surprised, because it was such a wonderful show, with great guests and projects! I used to tape it every day and now I am kicking myself that I didn't save the tapes!
I totally agree with the post regarding putting the series on DVD and selling them. Heidi, if you see this, can you put the bug in someone's ear? It looks like there would be a real market for the DVDs. Thanks for all the creative inspirations!! Glad to hear that everyone is doing well.

o

I definitely miss the shows! I was so devoted, I used to tape them as I worked out of the house...still work out of the house and should check if I still have those tapes, although most of my tapes went with my ex-husband after the divorce, but should check the storage! Heidi, if you are still reading this forum, thank you and your family for so many wonderful crafts. I still have tiny roses made of Aleene's silver glue and bread! Thanks! If anyone knows of any enterprising company who might be selling the old Aleene shows, please advise.

o

I was unpacking my newly-renovated craft room today and ran across my collection of Aleene's Creative Living magazines. The April 1999 issue caught my attention. The front reads "Aleene celebrates 75 years!" Well, here it is 10 years later and I wondered about her. I searched Google and found THIS forum, but also found http://pattiewack.blogspot.com/2009/01/happy-85th-birthday-aleene.html which says Aleene turned 85 on January 18th--that was just yesterday! What an awesome milestone for a wonderful woman! Where would we creative women be today if it weren't for her? Happy Belated Birthday Aleene!

P.S. I too miss the show. I'll cast my vote for the shows to be offered on DVD.

o

Yes Happy Birthday Aleene!!!!

(if she happens to peek in here!!)

o

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALEENE - to the lady (and her daughters) who inspired me to 'think outside the box when crafting' .....

Lynne

o

I sure miss all the old gang. I learned so much over the years watching. Today's craft shows just aren't as good. Carol Duvall is another one I miss. I started watching Carol way back before she had her own show on a little morning show called 'The Home Show'.Anyone remember that one? Sure wish they would produce something similar to Home today.
Happy Birthday Aleene. And many, many more.
In case Tiffany or Heidi stops in.....wish you girls had a show. Bright Blessings ladies and tell Aleene we love and miss her.

o

I remember the home Show!!! Kitty was there and the dark haired gal too - I remember in the year before they closed the show, they were talking about buying a town to redu - have crafters open shops to show how they were made - open resteraunts - I was hoping thye would buy Harmony - a tiny 18 populated town on the coast just 20 minutes from here... Rob Weller was the producer on the Home show AND on Carol's show... Remember him? I learned to make all time favorite gift on that show - I learned to make wine jelly! It hads been a hit at sereral parties...

o

Grandma bonnie,
I have been trying to find a way to contact Rob Weller and suggest they bring back a good 'Home' type show. We have none. With the economy in the dumps maybe now would be a good time to run such a show. They could throw in a segment on money saving strategies, cheap entertaining, recycled crafts, and just general home running ideas. Us stay at home Mom's and Grandma's have been forgotten.
I remember them wanting to buy a town too. I wish they had maybe then we would have gotten a good ol' family values style show. As it stands now tv stinks. I'm tired of reality shows, and hgtv is all about selling your home now. Let's hope for some quality tv for a change. PS- My favorite all time tv show......The Waltons. Silly huh. Of course JohnBoy and the gang fall in line right behind Aleene's Creative Living. lol

o

Good memories... As a producer, $Rob can only sell an idea - the time is right, but I don't think HGTV thinks we spend enough money to warrent a show for us... It would be geared for the younger set, but the powers that be don't see it that way.

o

Wow, the site looks good. I check out this thread everytime it gets bumped to the top, hoping for news like this.

Just think when we were all watching Aleene's Creative Living, most of us had no idea how big computers were going to be in our lives. - Gail

o

What a wonderful way to start the day! I was so happy to see you checked in with us Tiffany. I will definitely be visiting your new web site adventure everyday. It's great to hear Aleene is doing well, but really I kinda thought she would be. You were all such an inspiration to me over the years and are in my thoughts daily. (along with such things as 101 uses for a pretty paper napkin.lol) Wish I could get my hands on a couple of bottles of Aleene's foil glue. I keep checking ebay but no luck so far. Anyway, tell Aleene we said to come and say hi with her new computer we all miss her. Now I'm off to see the new web site. Bright Blessings. Have a great day all!

o

I used to tape all of the shows and still had them all up until about a month ago. The garage flooded and I lost all of them. Sure wish I had backed them up onto DVDs so I could watch them again. So glad to see you on here Tiffany and Heidi. I check in here now and then to see the updates on this thread. I watched the show faithfully...learned alot from you, your family and the guests you had on there. I loved the challenge segments..... the new shows don't compare to your old show!

o

So nice to welcome you aboard and please have Aleene come over too.
I too had an extensive video collection of the old programs which I recently gave away along with a lot of my craft stuff.

Glad that Aleene is dancing and that she has a nice Sr center to hang out in.

The computer should open up a whole new world for her too.
Miss the old shows and so many of the guests you had on. They became friends.

o

I too miss the show. I came across this page because I was thinking about it and starting looking around. I have most of their books, The Big Book of Crafts etc. How wonderful for Tiffany not only to find this page but to respond to it.
Thanks to their family, the world of crafts was opened up to me. Have a great day everyone.

o

glad to see you dawn come back and visit

o

Does anyone know if Aleene's 3-D foil glue is still being made? If so does anyone know where I can buy it? And if not anyone know of a similar product? Help please. Thanks in advance.

o

Duncan bought most of their glues and things - check their website...

o

desertgypsy2

I'll look in my stash tomorrow and see if I have any and if it is usable
if so it is yours

o

Minnie

Thanks for looking for me. If you have some I'm sure I could find something to trade with you. Craft stuff, free coupons, finished greeting cards from my stash, or even garden seeds. Just let me know. Thanks.

Grandma Bonnie,

I searched their site and I'm pretty sure they discontinued production. I emailed them about it so I hope they answer soon. I was kinda hoping Tiffany might of had some stashed or her Mom. I can't find anything to use in it's place. It's a great product. My work space has 3 products always at hand. Tacky Glue, Tack it over and over, and Un-Du adhesive remover. If I could get my hands on the foil glue my life would be complete. lol Well if they reran the Aleene's shows then it would really be complete.

o

It's official. I got a response from Duncan crafts this morning. They did discontinue the foil glue awhile back. So now I have to figure out what to use in it's place. Stinks because I can't figure out what will work the same. Oh well back to the drawing board.

o

I forgot to look for the foil glue I promise to check my stash tomorrow and let you know.

o
RE: or send an email

Why not send an email to

Heidi and ask her about what to use this is a copy of the post she made here (scroll up the page to find the original. I'm sure she will have some suggestions .
Posted by bheidi (My Page) on Sat, Jan 5, 08 at 21:02

Hi Everyone,
Heidi Here from the old Aleene's TV show. Just stubbled across this forum.
Thank you for all of your kind comments. The TV show was great fun. There are days that I miss it and other days I remember how much work it was. I still create everyday in my newest studio. We moved last year.
Looking forward to chatting with you.

o

Minnie,
I emailed Heidi and Tiffany yesterday. I'll let you know if I hear from either.

o

I founf an unopened package of "Foil 'n Accent" adhesive. I hate to tell you how old it is. It was made by Duncan.
Anyway I opened the package to test it to make sure it wasn't "glued" together and it seems workable it is a small 1 oz bottle I'd be happy to send it to you .let me know

o
RE: Delta

I found two old kits I had called Delta Renaissance Foil tht has paints and colored foil and glue I think the glue is gone I went to the Delta site and saw the link to Renaissance Foil and clicked on it but it didn't take me to a site. I've emailed the company to see if there is something wrong with their site I'm putting the link on here so you can see where I found it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Delta

o

The trail may be getting hot. lol I'll dig around some more and see what happens. Thanks Minnie your a big help.

o

I emailed Delta
they don't make it anymore I told her about the website and she sent a note to their webmaster about the site.

Maybe google will work I can't have the only bottle of the stuff in the USA

o

Too funny Minnie. Maybe you do have the only bottle left in the world. I would hold on to it. It may become a collectable before you know it. Thanks for your help.

o

Hugs to you too Tiffany. I remember hearing about the early days when you all did the flowers and will check out your site. Give hugs to all in the family too.

Crafting on TV sure has changed and with so many changes in the industry and stores where crafters used to be able to pick up supplies. I wonder if it will take another ten years for home crafting to build back up again. My Brother-in-law was involved in Herrschner's needlecraft and my sis used to make a lot of the samples for them, It was interesting to see how the catalog industry worked in those days in the 70' s I'm sure if he and my sis were still around they'd be surprised at the turn of events.
I'm glad you are carrying on the family tradition and business.
Thanks again for your reply
Thanks for the info on the glue substitute.

o

Thanks for posting Tiffany. I have been using the tack it over and over for the past few years. It does work well but it's not as thick as the foil glue. I used to use the foil glue on glass Christmas ornament. I could drip it in a pattern on the outside and let it dry. Then peel it away and the outside color came off and the inside silver showed through. Very pretty. Oh well, at least we know we can't get it anymore. I will just have to improvise.

Hay Tiffany, tell your Mom we miss her so much. We would love to hear from her if she gets the chance with her new computer. I check here everyday to see who's who in postings. Minnie and Grandma Bonnie are very helpful.

Well ladies today I will be working on greeting cards, I use the tack it over and over with the foil on lots of card styles and I noticed my bottle is getting low. Ah, too bad guess I'll have to run to the craft store. lol

Now off to check out the new section on your website.

o

Just checked my craft things and came across a kit to decorate T-shirts and found it contained a foiling project with foil and glue. Don't know if it's any good anymore but the name of the manufacturer is Jones Tones. Checked their web site-www.Dharma Trading Co. you might be able to get some fresh.

o

Thanks flakefromfla. I will check there right now. Never thought about Dharma. I buy all my dies and silk from them for making dance veils. Thanks again, I'll let you know if I find any. Bright Blessings.

o

Score. Jones Tones has all the glues and foils a gal could want. After I looked at Dharma I googled and found it at the link at the bottom.
Good prices, and pretty colors of foil. Thank you so much flakeinfla. I had faith someone would know something and you came through. Bright Blessings, and hagd.

Here is a link that might be useful: Joggles

o

They used to advertise Jones Tones as being very flexible too. Like when you put it on a shirt it isn't just hard paint.

o

Glad to be of help. I know how frustrating it can be not to be able to find a product you have been using for years.

o

Just wanted to let everyone know I received my foil glue and a big new pack of assorted colored foil today. The glue is the same consistency as Aleene's used to be. It holds it shape, and does not run when applied to an upright surface. I am so happy. Thanks again everyone, and especially flakefromfla.

o

I just read on Joan Fees blog that Marlene Watson recently had a stroke and was at home recovering. I'm sure everyone remembers both of these ladies from the Aleene's creative living show. This made me very sad this morning. Joan is asking anyone who would like to send well wishes could email her at...joanfee@ymail.com
Lets keep Marlene in our thoughts.

Here is a link that might be useful: Joans blog link

o

Thanks I just sent an email

o

I just found this site by accident while looking for something else. It's a radio call in internet show by Tiffany set to air on April 26th. The first guests are supposed to be Aleene, Heidi and Candice. I'm not sure how the whole thing works but I signed up anyway.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aleene on the radio

o

Tiffany, I signed up for your facebook group as well. I have never been swayed to join one of the social sites until now. I guess I'll have to figure out how that whole thing works. I can't wait for the radio show to premiere. I am looking forward to hearing Aleene's voice again. Bright Blessings.

o

I can't believe how long this post has been running! I am brand new to this. Does anyone remember a gal who use to do a lot of really cute painting ideas on Aleene's (bees, watermelons ect..) she was plus size, dark hair and glasses, I just loved her stuff and I want to know if, she has a web site? I too miss Katherine Tidwell Bieber. I still do ribbon embroidery because of her. I would love to find a website on her as well.
Please e-mail me with any leads.
Thanks

o

craftymama, I know who you are talking about. I can't remember her name off hand but I do remember seeing her on Carol Duvall's shows a few times.

o

Craftymama. I remember her. I sure wish I could think of her name. I'll try and do a little research and get back to you.

o

Minnie, Are those the 2 girls that were very close friends with bubbly personalities? I was wondering there names as well. They were so cute. I think they worked for Hobby Lobby at the time.

I listened to the radio show last week and it was so great to hear those familiar voices, especially Aleene. Can't wait for the next one. They mentioned a website called favcrafts.com I checked it out and boy is it a good one. Go see, lots of ideas.

o

Wanted to remind everyone tonight is the next Inspired at Home internet radio show. It was great to hear Aleene's voice last week. If we get the following of this radio show up maybe the girls will be able to find a producer for a TV show again. Help spread the word. Oh, and Aleene has a facebook page. Join and keep in touch.

Here is a link that might be useful: Inspired at Home on facebook

o

Teresa have you read all the postings on here they might give you a clue in finding where to view the show. Love your website have you posted over on the Knitting/crochet forum?

Here is a link that might be useful: Crochet Forum

o

Please respond to my prior email when possible, I really need to know where to buy Aleene's books for Stiffy Bows. Please let me know.

o

I use to have a craft store in the 80's. Attended alot of Aleene's craft simenars. Also use to teacher mothers crafts at the elementary school where I live. Really miss that show.

o

My mother and I were lucky enough to go on the Aleene's craft cruise to Alaska. We got to do projects with Heidi! It was so special and a memory I will never forget.

o

I lost track of this thread and glad someone started it up again. I am mostly into crocheting right now there is no place in town to share creative juices. The so-called craft shows on TV are pretty awful
Tiffany glad to see you post again I put that website in my favorites and will check on it.
Say hi to MOM.

o

I went to a craft show when I was a kid and Aleene was there! It could have been the Caravan, I don't know, but the year sounds about right. I was 10 in 1967. We lived in LA and my mother took me with her because she knew I loved art and would probably enjoy a show devoted to crafts. Aleene had a local TV show, it was pretty bare bones by today's standards but I was "glued" to it. ;-) A show about crafts was such a novelty! Up till then it was mainly established hobbies like sewing, embroidering, knitting,etc...that took years to master. Along comes Aleene with quickie projects anyone could do. That was ground-breaking.

I remember my mother flipping out over this new hobby of painting on fabric using little tubes of paint with special tips. That was the first adult "craft" supply I had seen. The paint came in a round carousel and you could buy larger or smaller carousels depending on how many colors you wanted. Ring a bell to anyone?

I watched Aleene on TV for years, always in awe of the new things she was demonstrating. One was a kind of clay you could make at home out of a common household ingredient, forget what it was now...a powder of some sort. Aleene showed us all these fast and easy crafts that anyone could make, you didn't need to attend art school or be a painter or professional artist. It was something we all could do and that's what made it so enticing. I'll never forget the tissue paper glue. I sent in a photo of a project I had done with it, just to show them and to my surprise I get a letter back saying they were putting it in their magazine and I was getting a free years subscription!

How wonderful to come across this thread and to find it still active since 2004. I am so excited to see Aleene's daughters posting here! I watched their show too. To think I would probably have never stumbled across this thread if it weren't for another show on PBS called "Creative Living with Sheryl Borden". I was watching my recording of the show today and I decided to look it up on Google because there was something about the name that rung a bell with me. That's when it hit me, the title is the same as Aleene's! Yet this show looks nothing like it so I was trying to find out if it's just coincidence that the name is the same or is this what the original show has morphed into.

Can anyone tell me if there is a link between Aleene's Creative Living and Creative Living with Sheryl Borden? The website says that show has been on the air for 34 years. I don't remember seeing it that long ago and I watched every craft show there was.

I still have my Aleene's glue gun with the funny shapped glue sticks, lol. I don't use it much anymore tho. I've moved on to cake decorating, that's the hot thing now. Yep, still doin' those crafts!

o

I remember that show . In my old house - I couldn't get HGTV . We bought this house --- 4 miles away .... and I was so excited that I could get that channel !! I watched the show , but to me -- alot of the crafts were childish . But that's what the show was about -- simple things & scrap crafts. I still watched every day. HGTV has gotten awful ... I haven't watched it for a long time.

o

The name Sheryl Borden sounds familiar but can't remember why. Crafts sure have dropped off since the "good old days" now everything is kits. I have tht recipe somewhere for the clay it was using a slice of white bread and white glue.

o

bump

o

miss all of the craft shows, Aleene's Carol Duvall all of those good ones. Also Trash to Treasures[think that was what it was called ].Where have they all gone?

o

I don't understand it because it seems that young women are into handwork again, may be in a way that women now in their 40s weren't. At least it seems so. And recycling is so big too. Maybe tv shows and magazines are not where its happening any more.
Kathy

o

I miss Aleene's Craft Show terribly. I found some of my old VHS tapes recently. I used to tape the segments that I could. It's great to find so many that feel the same way I do. I sat up til 4:00am this morning watching some of the video's. It would be absolutely wonderful if they could put the shows on dvd's, or do re-runs of the show.

While some crafting may have fallen by the wayside, I'm sure after reading all the posts that there are many like us that still love to craft. With the economy like it is everywhere, I believe that Aleene's old re-runs would come in handy about now. Aleene and her family seemed to know early on that recycling and being eco-friendly was the way to go.

Mother Earth has been sadly mistreated. I'm sure you're all seen the commercial about just the empty water bottles and how many times they would circle the Earth.

I was in retail all my life. Now I find myself at an early age (56) disabled from doing my job, and loving the retail industry. The mind is willing but the body can no longer hold up.

I very much intend to watch every last taped segment of Aleene's over and over again; and begin crafting again. I may be a little slower, but maybe the old mind will begin to work again. I also loved the way I could watch Aleene's and watch one thing, and my mind also see something else. Great way for generating new ideas, and repurposing things.

I am so happy to have stumbled onto this site, and became a new member today. It might be nice if we could share Ideas and projects that each have worked on/are working on; or perhaps share tapes we may have ( maybe make copies) for each other. Maybe Heidi or Tiffany could have some ideas as to how to go about getting copies of all the segments they did? I would love to hear from others by e-mail rather like an e-mail pen pals. That would be nice. I know we're all busy with life and all it brings... but sharing would be wonderful. Thanks for having me. My e-mail is: designingrose@hotmail.com

o

Wouldn't it be nice if some kind of "movement" took place -- a mass writing to HGTV to bring in some new craft shows that focuses on simple crafts that specialize in recycled stuff ? Boy -- HGTV is really missing the boat . Now is the perfect time for a show like that . The ratings would be through the roof !

o

TMG, You have the right idea. If everybody here wrote, e-mailed, faxed, phones, texted or whatever it takes to get HGTV attention and told them we want Aleene's, Carol Duvall, Trash to Treasures, etc., brought back maybe someone would listen. It would be a lot cheaper to do re-runs then to produce new shows. It's worth a shot!!!!

Let them know we are sick of the garbage they are showing now!!

o

Marie I'm like you I also taped so many of her shows finally gave them away. I even madea catalog of what was on each tape.

I think it would be nice if HGTV would show them but I think they have turned their programming over to so-called modern day yuppies who have no real knowledge of what is going on in the real world. IMHO

o

I loved Aleene's & recently found a bunch of my Aleene's Creative Living magazines packed away. We do need a crafting show on tv instead of some of the nonsense they show.

o

Here is the link to send your messages directly to the program folks at HGTV:

http://www.hgtv.com/contact-us/package/index.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Contact HGTV via the web

o

Thanks Kay I think their programming needs to be changed

o

I also miss all the old shows. I grew up with Aleene and her daughters inspiring me. I still make the bread dough roses! I am so glad to see so many who want to bring the good ole days back. My friend and I were just talking about this last week and I went seaching and came across this forum. I am building a studio in my home right now..there are still lots of crafters out here. I too have aleene's shows on video, her magazines and books. Still love to look for inspiration. I miss everyone. Come on ladies lets do something about this. Don't give up!

o

Does anyone have instructions from Aleene's tv show on how to make "clothesline" tissue paper flowers. I think they used wire and tissue paper and the the flowers were quite small.
I'd appreciate any help with this ... thanks

o

...seems to me there was another more recent reply to this thread - where did it go?

o

Go to Youtube and look up Cool2Craft. Tiffany and Heidi are still doing shows there for Craft TV.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cool2Craft Youtube Channel

o

I miss ALL of the craft shows that were on TV, including Aleene's! I have no way of knowing when new products come to market, and when I see them in the stores, I have no idea what to do with them!

o

I know what you mean... I have to go to the internet to find out how they work - I also check out complaints about the product too... Does anyone remember when Aleene's was on the Nashville channel? ...and I still miss Carol Duvall she's the one who made me believe I could do crafts... She didn't have a product to sell - she just wanted to share her crafts with us...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here