Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kudzukween

Coffee Filter Roses

kudzukween
15 years ago

I finished 3 of these roses last night, and started 3 pink ones that are drying on my fan right now. They look so realistic, and smell great since Twin gave me some rose scent for them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kudzu's Blog

Comments (16)

• smickerdoodle
    15 years ago

Those roses are beautiful...they look so real. You are so talented.

• huggybear_2008
    15 years ago

kudzuk, your roses are just awesome.. I am going to try to make some.. after Christmas when things are not so crazy..
    Yours looks as good as the ones Mommy makes roses does
    Huggy

• grandma_bonnie
    15 years ago

Were there directions or do we have to buy the directions at that other site? Beautiful. Maybe something to try this spring or summer.

• kudzukween
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks ya'll! The directions are on Martha Stewart's site, along with the templates :D Just close the video and click on the templates, directions are under the photo.
    But the video will explain more on how to make them. I'm working on some pink ones.

• oddie
    15 years ago

Sooo very beautiful!!
    TFS all you do!
    with all the good craft shows gone, its so nice to have all the blogs to check out, and yours is one of the best!
    oddie

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    15 years ago

Thanks for the idea. I watched the video and printed out the instructions, but could not get the link to the templates to open up, just kept getting an "internal error" message. Is there some other place to get the templates?

• kudzukween
    Original Author
    15 years ago

uh-oh..let me go check the site.
    It's working right now...I'm going to put the clickable link to the templates below.

Here is a link that might be useful: coffee filter templates Martha Stewart

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

I went on around 10 this morning & got the templates.Wondering if all filters are pretty much the same. I'll ask DD to get me some from Costco ,Cassie said they were $4 I think & they are the cone type. Glad I didn't get the ones at TS they were different. Think My GD would love making some with me! Jan

• jazzie
    15 years ago

I don't want to go out and buy watercolors. Do you thing diluted acrylics would work to paint them?

• kudzukween
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You can try it out, Jazzie. Oddie had made some coffee filter roses with the ruffled filters. I used food coloring to dye those, if you hang them upside down the last part to dry comes out darker. I used some diluted poster paint my grandson had to make some more yellow ones, and they look good to me! Trial and error, right? :D

• jazzie
    15 years ago

I am sorry, I have one more question. I have the template, how did you transfer the design from the template to the filter?

• kudzukween
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, Jazzie, not a correct way to do it, but all I did was hold the template over a stack of 6 filters, and cut them out that way. It's best to cut a lot out at once for me, that's why I cut 6 at a time.
    You could make a faint pencil line around it and cut inside the lines. Make sure you have your templates and cone filters facing the way they're supposed to go. The direction is marked on the template.
    I've since made 3 more of each color...orange,yellow and pink.

• jazzie
    15 years ago

Thanks I was comeing back to say I got it. I put one filter over the template, up to the window and copied it with a pencil very lightly. I am doing six filters at a time too. It would be way too time consuming to do one filter at a time. I would die of the tediousness of it. I taped mine filters together, I found that helped keep them all alligned really well. I have to go buy floral tape today. :) Am excited about it.

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

Anyone make the stretchy crepe paper one, and where can you still buy that paper?

• kudzukween
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've seen them made from crepe paper, and I bought some to make Victorian things with, but never made them myself. Oddie made the roses with the ruffled coffee filters, and they are just beautiful,too! I made those last year for Valentine's Day, and I dyed them with food coloring before I made them. I just buy the crepe paper rolls they have in the birthday or party section of WalMart. I'm lucky to have a Party City,too, so I can buy crepe paper rolls in every color of the rainbow.....LOL! That's a great place to buy paper that looks vintage.

• jazzie
    15 years ago

Well, I made my first rose. It needs a little help. I had a real problem with the floral tape sticking. I made note to make sure with each layer to make sure I was twisting the tape always in the same direction. It was getting it started and getting it to stick to itself at the start that I had the problem.

I also started using stick glue to hold the pedals in place because I couldn't seem to hold them all at once, AND wrap them with floral tape. (When doing seerate petals, like 7 and 8)

It is pretty even with it's imperfections. I have to paint it still. But it does look like a real white rose.

Sponsored
Brenda M. Miller Designer of Interior Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars73 Reviews
Client-Oriented Interior Design in Loudoun County | Best of Houzz X6