Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
making elf faces ?s

Posted by gardener1908 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 1, 09 at 10:01

Hi all, I'm new to this forum but not to GW. For two years now I have been trying to make elves to climb up a candy cane ladder outside my house. The ladder is about 10ft. tall and I would like the elves to be about 2ft. I have purchased children's holiday clothes to dress them in and tried using pvc and hanger wire to do the bodies, not very successsful. Also for their faces I tried making soft sculptered ones out of felt, cute but not what I wanted. I would like to try molding clay, but it seems to be pretty pricey at Hobby Lobby for how much I would need. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: making elf faces ?s

What you need is salt dough. I don't have it but there are countless sites on line with the recipe. This is much like play dough that you mold and bake in the oven or microwave. You can pose characters by stuffing parchment paper around the dough while they are baking or use things that you can find like spoon handles.

o

This may be a wild idea, but I'll throw it out there anyway. How about using that expandable foam that you use to fill in gaps around your house. You might try to form it over a balloon like you do paper mache. Or you could get a face mold and spray it in there.

o

I am probaly going to make my own moldeling clay. I think I'll try baking them and attach them to a cloth head with holes that I'll pucnh in around the face. It's funny you suggested the spray foam, I bought some last year for a Christmas project and couldn't remember the 'idea' I had. Sooo many ideas floating around up there. LOL. Thanks for the imput.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here