Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oddie_gw

Grave Blankets.

oddie
16 years ago

Been makeing these for years from pine, decorated with ribbon and bulbs, am runing out of ideas, do any of you crafty people make them and would care to share photos, or ideas!

here is a photo of one made last year, I used a pretty dollar store glass angel on it, dont want to add to much, people will steal them right off the graves! Thanks for any help!

oddie

Comments (18)

• paintingfool
    16 years ago

Oddie, I didn't know anyone else did these. My mother died several years ago and we made a grave blanket the full length of her and my dad's grave. We placed the pine branches, from the bottom of the trees, on chicken wire, added a large red bow and prayed that no one would bother it. It lasted all winter. I didn't take a picture and am not sure anyone will do it this year but if so, I will post a pic.

• Cheri_C
    16 years ago

Oddie, I love yours. I've made them by using a small board. Like 6 X 12. If you are doing a larger one use a wider board and longer one. I tape on a piece of styrofoam and then add the greenery. These come out nice and big and full. We use to do the chicken wire, but this way is much easier. I've got some I gotta get done, so I'll post a pic when I get them done.

• hapyfrustrated
    16 years ago

Oddie, I have been looking for something to put on my Grandparents, and baby nephew's graves. The one for my GP's has a copper cup in the center of the headstone, I usually stuff styrofoam inside and insert the artifical flowers, nothing else is supossed to be used. I try to sneak pretty stuff out there though.

The headstone for the baby is flat and laying on the ground, I don't know how I could attach something to make it stay, any ideas??? I know his Momma and Daddy would love some type of decoration!

• Posie
    16 years ago

For the Baby's grave could you use the long pegs or pins that they use to pin down the weed preventer fabric that they use in the garden? Mine are about 6-8 inches long. Walmart usually has them.If you used a chicken wire base the pegs would hold it down. Sometimes I use the long peg holders that they use on Peg Board. Good Luck!

• hapyfrustrated
    16 years ago

Posie, thanks for the tips. I plan on getting one made before they come home for Christmas, I will take it out a few days before they arrive.

I hope others share some pics, I would love to see them!

• oddie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

was wanting to know how you decorate yours ? and hopefully some photos, been makeing mine the same for years and they are looking pretty boreing! thanks for the tips! I also use a board and styrofoam, the chicken wire is okay just get cut alot.
    tried doing a search but not many photos, guess Iam looking for something different then bulbs and ribbons, any ideas ? to keep mine in the ground I bend a coat hanger and cut in have and wrap with floral tape, attached to the bottom .
    oddie

• oddie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Been working on these this week, and I must say they are looking better this year, I desided to attach one of those blue icicle to the blanket, dont know how long the batteries will last
    but I like the idea, also used one of those tea light that run by batteries on one I made for my mothers grave, I glued on a small glass cup and used double stick carpet tape to keep the light in incase of wind, and wouldnt be so easy to steal!
    anyone know how long the lights could last burning all the time ??
    will share a photo when I am done.
    oddie

• User
    16 years ago

We get one each year for my son's grave. The local farm does a beautiful job and will accommodate color requests. The shape I like best is a large oval. They put a bow in the center and add things like ornaments, smaller bows, birds, bells, fake snow, glitter (not everything all at once).

I'm always very pleased with what they come up with. Funny, it never occurred to me to make one myself.

Till now.

• oddie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Dian57 they are very easy to make, give it a try! sorry about the loss of your son! has to be so very hard to losse a child!
    thanks for shareing how the ones you buy are decorated, I was offered $30 for the one in the photo with the white roses, here are a few more I have made this week, each has a blue icicle on them one of the red ones has the tea light.
    oddie

• hapyfrustrated
    16 years ago

Oddie, you have inspired me! I have everything I need to construct a blanket. Ribbon for a beautiful silver bow, an angel ornament, some blue and white balls. I did not think to get some flowers for it, but I can get some!

I am looking forward to making this design. I think it will become something I do for a long time to come!

I know my nephew and his wife will be so touched to see this. I can't wait to get it made. I went to find some metal stakes, the small ones, and they were gone, I guess people are using them for their decorations. I think I will try the wire coat hanger and see how that works.

Thanks again for this beautiful idea!

• oddie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Happyfrustrated, they are easy to make, and such a thoughtfull thing to do! not many seem to decorate graves at Christmas anymore, for me its the time I remenber and miss my loved ones the most, doesnt seem right to not have somekind of gift!
    I wrap the ribbon around the middle frist that covers the wire I use to wrap the pine, then fit the coat hanger throu the ribbon and wire on the bottom, keeps it in place and covers the bottom so it to looks nice also.
    had asked hubby to take photos for me, he did but while I was out and didnt give me a chance to puff the bows back up, he was sick so didnt have the heart to ask him to take them agine. also they are not laying right for the photos, but eather way you get the idea, and thats the imporant part.
    Happy Crafting
    oddie

• mountainraised
    16 years ago

These are beautiful! My quetion is, how big are they? Do they lay on the ground in front of the grave stone or do they cover the entire grave?
    Thanks for such a wonderful site.
    Annette

• oddie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

mountainraised, the ones I make are about 20x35, but you can make them any size you want, some make them large enough to cover the grave, I place mine in front of the stone on the ground, would be pretty to lay on top of the stone, but would need one of those hangers that grip the stone, hope this helps!
    oddie

• hapyfrustrated
    16 years ago

Odie, I have all supplies to make a GB, but I had a fire in my home last week, and I don't have the mental right now to sit down and put this together. It is frustrating to me, I am going to try this sometime tomorrow though. Wish me luck!!!!!!!!!

• oddie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

sorry to hear you had a fire, hope you and your family were not hurt! I had a small fire years ago when my children were all at home, was in the middle of the night and so very scarey, the smoke alarm woke me but not my children! was able to put the fire out but lived in fear, and didnt get much sleep for quite awhile!
    Of course I wish you luck! and hope your nerves are somewhat settled, sometimes its impossible to craft when the rest of your world isnt right! if theres anything I can do to help just let know.
    oddie

• hapyfrustrated
    16 years ago

Dearest Odie,

I took the time away from everything tonight and crafted the blanket!! I can't beleive how beautiful it turned out and was a quick project. I live in the south, and getting fresh greenery is pretty much out of the picture, but today I found some beautiful Christmas garland with wire in it. I bought two so it would be extra full, laid them on top of each other, secured with wire, then added the bow. My little angel is secured with wire, as well as the glass balls. I am hoping to take it out to the cemetary Wednesday, just in time for my neice and nephew to visit the cemetary. I am going to craft a tag out of an old Christmas card, and cover it with the clear packing tape, then trim around the edges with scissors. They will know it was from me, better than them trying to figure out who would have brought it.

Thank you Odie for the inspiration, my ribbon is silver wire, with pale blue sparkling snow flakes on it. I am so proud of how it turned out, if I were better informed, I would zip out a pic so you could see it, but I am challenged!!!!

Merry Christmas!!!!!!

• oddie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

you are so welcome! so glad that you got the chance to make a grave blanket, sounds so beautiful! but then I knew it would be, I have seen your projects!
    Iam sure your neice and nephew will be very happy to see your grave blanket, and what a nice thing to do, must bring some confort to know hes remenbered and not forgotton!
    Love the tag idea, bet they wont know right away that you made it.
    Merry Christmas to you and yours!
    oddie

• wnlbutterfly
    16 years ago

We didn't know what these were at first, not something that is out here in the midwest, but we are starting the trend. We made one out of a fake Christmas tree (got it on sale after the holiday). My mom made it the full size of the grave top for my son (forever 17). It is mounted on a wooden frame with chicken wire to tie it all to so it doesn't move...very sturdy and we can reuse it each year (we do have a place to store it). First year we decorate with Harry Potter themed ornies (I made flying keys and golden snitches). After the holidays I found gold plastic trumpets on sale and bought that for the following year, and so on. On Christmas Eve we take out those battery operated candles and each of us places one within the grave blanket, looks very nice.