Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Magnetic paint.....

Posted by iowajewel (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 11, 08 at 9:42

Has anyone used it?
And as I posted on the DIY magnetic boards posting, I also wondered if you can decoupage over it and still retain it's magnetic powers.

Any ideas?
Julie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Magnetic paint.....

hey julie,
yea... i've used the magnetic spray paint. you can actually read about it in a prior post on my blog. didn't work for me... maybe's the brand. someone suggested paint instead of spray. but i didn't bother cos the zinc sheets works fabulously.

going back to the spray, i sprayed 5 layers then put a layer of primer because i was thinking the wood could have absorbed a lot of the spray... then sprayed 5 more layers. nope... there is a slight magnetic pull. magnets are just about sticking on the surface, but when you put a paper in between the magnet and the board, everything falls apart. that's just my experience... like i said perhaps it is the brand :)

o
RE: Magnetic paint.....

YES! I LOVE IT!
I did this on an accent wall in my kitchen. I used 2 quarts of magnetic paint on the 4' x 8' wall then 2 coats of color on top. I use the top part of wall for pictures, invitations, important papers, etc. The bottom is for the kids use of ABC letters and play. It is a great coversation when guests stop by "how do you get magnets to stick on the wall?"
I bought the paint at Home Depot. Michaels sells it too. It took lots of applications and dry time for the magnetic paint. The more coats you put on, the stronger the hold. Don't skimp and don't be in a rush. The results are worth it

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here