Original Author
    17 years ago

• wnlbutterfly
    Original Author
    17 years ago

• wnlbutterfly
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have made the basic cocoa cones for several years, and this year while shopping at Walmart I saw they finally decided to mass produce the cones and sell for $1.88. I sold mine for $4, I can't even buy the supplies for what they are selling it for, so needed to come up with fancier cones and here is what I did...

I made three different cocoa cones, a Santa, Reindeer and Christmas tree. They are similar but a few different steps involved of course.
    First off, I use two cone bags on each one. And that is how you keep the marshmallows and cocoa separate even if making a basic cone.

For all the cones bag the cocoa (I use around a 1/2 cup plus another 2 TBS....I think that is close, but not 100%), that is enough for 2-3 servings, but you can use more or less, for the Christmas tree I would use more since you are not adding the marshmallows. Tie off the cocoa (I use cable ties, small ones), and trim off the excess bag.

Santa: Wrap the cocoa cone with red mylar (double back (db) tape works great), I did a brim on my computer (just fiddled around until it was the right shape and added a graphic), and also a santa face that I cropped down to fit. I kept these in place by the db tape too. Slide that into the second bag, line up the seems and make sure you can see Santa's eyes! Add marshmallows, and tie that off (I just eyeball the mm). Glue a white pompom on the top, add some curling ribbon at the bottom for the tag.

Reindeer, same basic cocoa cone, slide into bag #2, add mm and some sprinkles for color if you have it. Tie off. Glue on red pompom, wiggle eyes, and make a piece for the back that has the antlers on (with brown fun foam). The end of the bag goes through that hole in center.

Christmas tree is the easiest. Same cocoa bag, then wrap with green mylar, slide into bag #2, tie off. Glue on trim, and add ornies (I used stickers but beads or sequins would work too). It sits in a votive candle holder from the Dollar Store that cost .50. Actually after pondering this, I think next time I will use the cocoa mix that has marshmallows in it, and use more mix in the first cone bag so that my tree is bigger. Means you will get more servings out of the tree, but will give you more decorating space as well.

I just make my tags on my PM16.

• iowajewel
    17 years ago

Thank you for sharing these! They are GREAT!
    I was wondering how you made the Christmas trees and santas?? I am seeing my daughter's "little sis" while she is gone to Basic training for the Air Force. It's been awhile since I have done crafts and was trying to think of something NEW, not from the time my daughter's were small.
    These are adorable and useful, as well!
    thanks again.........Julie

• evelyn_craftdiva
    17 years ago

These are really great! Can you share the poem that you use
    for the reindeer ones? Thanks!!

• wnlbutterfly
    Original Author
    17 years ago

What was the question in particular about making the Santa's or Christmas trees other than what was posted?? I don't mind answering questions and I know sometimes what makes sense when I type, doesn't always make sense when it is read!

Laura

• soso
    17 years ago

Your cones a very classy looking.
    I made santa cones this year for the first time and they
    were such a hit. Sold out first hour at both shows I took them to.

They are a must do for next years shows.

Did you sell them this year and if so how did the reindeer
    and trees sell in comparison to the others ???

This is what my santa cones looked like.

r

• craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

Very nice Laura. I bet they are a big hit at Christmas.

Sal

• pattico_gw
    17 years ago

May I ask.....where do you get the cone shaped bags?

patti

• evelyn_craftdiva
    17 years ago

Thanks Laura for sharing the whole tag for the reindeer ones!
    I really appreciate it!!

• soso
    17 years ago

I get my bags at michaels with my 40% off coupon.
    They are icing bags for cake decorating.
    I'm sure they could be ordered someplace for less.
    Maybe someone else knows a good source.

• evelyn_craftdiva
    17 years ago

Patti, I have ordered the bags on the net from this place
    located in Ohio. http://www.sugarcraft.com/
    They sell 50 for $5.35.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1487144}}

• pattico_gw
    17 years ago

Oh really ,Icing bags...LOL...I have a bunch of those...

Although I prefer to use the Wilton bags, I've popped too many of those other bags.

Well thank you.

My cousin and I and her daughters get together once a month and go out to lunch. This Tuesday is our lunch day , so it will be our Christmas party.

We usuall give each other several gifts...

A mixture of homemade, purchased and whatever. We've been doing this for so many years I'm having a hard time finding things new.

I haven't done any of these before..so it is on my list.

Now...to get off here and get busy...Time a tickin.

patti

• wnlbutterfly
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yep, decorating bags, trips a lot of people up. I made up some Muddy Buddy mix and put a sugar cone in the bag, then the mix and tied off, looked like an ice cream cone but won't melt and yummy.

I made more Santa's than Reindeer, I would say the Santa's sold best, then Reindeer. The trees didn't move but my booth is so packed I think they got overlooked. I am going to use the ones I didn't sell for table decoration at our holiday gathering. I also bumped the prices up to $5.00 each on these, mainly because they took me longer to make than the regular cocoa cones did. And they sold just fine at that price!

• minnie_tx
    17 years ago

How adorable. I saw the ones at Walmart that you are talking about (this year) I think yours are so clever.

• oddie
    17 years ago

Just wanted to say yours are so cute! and thanks so much for shareing!
    oddie

• sarak27
    17 years ago

Where did you get the picture for the Santa Cones? I can't find a good one anywhere.

• maxine2112
    16 years ago

I need to know about the santa Face and the hat is that insideor out. And where didyou fine your face? And the tree and the foil paper? Would you share where you got the poems they are adorable. I'm a new crafter and I'm still learning. Thanks Maxine osborn2112@cox.net

• sjarz
    16 years ago

Well I just have to add my comments that those are absolutely awesome - I really like the trees, the others are both excellent, but I would have bought a tree...very amazing job you did of those!
    Congrats,
    SJ

• skyrider
    16 years ago

wnlbutterfly, these are too fun! been wondering what they used to bag the ones you see at walmart...by golly! I had cake decorating bags all along!
    where did you get the gingerbread tags?

• skyrider
    16 years ago

hi, these are so cute...where did you find the gingerbread tags?

• blizlady
    15 years ago

I'm so glad I found this thread! I planned to make cocoa cones for some of my co-workers, and now I can see how cute the santas, reindeer & trees are! Thanks for sharing!

• huggybear_2008
    15 years ago

WNLBUTTERFLY, These are so darn cute.. I know I will have to try and make some for the kids in our family. and yea, some adults too.. I just love them and you did such a great job on yours, I have never seen these in Wal Mart , but then maybe I was not looking for them.. I will just have to try and make some for the kids .. Thanks for such a neat idea.. I just love this site.. so many great ideas and everyone is so willing to share.. Thanks.
    Huggy

• wnlbutterfly
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Attempt at sharing pattern for antlers

Here is a link that might be useful:

• skyrider
    15 years ago

Just came across this again! Could you please share the santa and the tree poem tags as well? thanks so much! these are just perfect for when you have to buy lots of family gifts!!!!!

• wnlbutterfly
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I will give it a try on sharing the tags...

Here is a link that might be useful:

• wnlbutterfly
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That was the same one already posted. I can't share the other two because they are using purchased graphics. I got those from pccrafter. GREAT website and the prices are reasonable. I use the sets I got a LOT and it certainly does make a difference.

There are some good websites out there that have cute poems and sayings for small gifts like this also.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

• skyrider
    15 years ago

wnlbutterfly, thank you! I found the gingie tag graphic where you posted to look, I will have to purchase that one for sure! Bought the "stuff" to make the reindeer cones this w/end. TFS!

• skyrider
    15 years ago

I forgot to ask!!! What kind of glue are you using for the pom poms, etc to stick? thanks so much!!!

Sponsored