Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lump of coal recipe

Posted by grandma_bonnie (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 22, 06 at 8:59

Here is a recipe I found for edible coal. Too late for this year, but maybe next year for my adult son... lol

Lump of Coal Candy
by Tami Rose

Do you know someone who has been naughty this year? Fill their stocking with these lumps of candy coal! This also makes a great gag gift!

What You Need

2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 tsp. black paste food color
1/2 cup water
1 tsp. anise extract

What You Do

Line an 8-inch square baking pan with foil, extending edges over the sides of pan. Lightly grease foil with butter or baking spray.

Combine sugar, corn syrup and water in a heavy, non-stick, 2-quart saucepan. Stir over medium-low heat until sugar is dissolved and mixture comes to a boil. Cook about 15 minutes, without stirring, until a candy thermometer registers 290 degrees F.

Immediately remove from heat. Stir in anise extract and food coloring. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Cool completely.

Lift candy out of pan using foil. Place candy between 2 layers of heavy-duty foil. Using a hammer or mallet, break candy into pieces the size of a lump of coal.

Fill a plastic baggie with a few pieces of coal and attach the following poem:

POEM:

I heard you have been naughty not nice,
And Santa even checked his list twice.
So all the way from the cold North Pole
all you're getting is a bag of coal.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lump of coal recipe

Oh how much fun I'm going to have with this, its not to late for me. Thank you so much.

o

Very cute idea. Maybe for next year--I don't have the energy to go shop for the food color and anise now. Thanks for sharing. Luvs

o

I'm hoping someone will remind me brfore it's too late next year!!! lol

o

Great idea for 2007....Thanks for sharing.
D.

o

What a cute idea!!! DH should get some!!!

o

OH grandmabonnie, I know a few salesmen at work who surely could use this Xmas gift and if I have time I will make it for them..lol This will be great.. I just love to get those guys with something they have never gotten before.. and this is one of them.. Thanks..
Huggy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here