Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mirror Frame Needs Bling

Posted by javachik (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 12, 10 at 7:24

I have a wood-framed mirror that I would like to add some gold shine to.It's in a dining room full of wood and needs to "lighten up". How can I do that without refinishing or just painting the entire frame? Gold leaf or some metallic type rub-on finish? I am completely unfamiliar with any crafting type supplies/finishes that might be available and where to find them. Thanks for any help and leads!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mirror Frame Needs Bling

If you have a Joanne's or Michael's you could ask them for best product for the mirror frame. I have some rub-on stuff I used years ago but don't know that they even make it anymore. If you don't have any craft stores your next place is art supply store or hardware store & ask for best thing to rub on frame. I don't think you want to use gold leave as it is hard to work with & expensive. I have gotten a nice gold colored paint & sprayed it into a small jar that is wide, like a 1/2 pt. Ball jar do it on newspapers & have spray paint well mixed like it says on can & when you have a 1/2 in. of paint in the jar or finger is hurting. Stop & apply with small rag wear gloves, or a small brush, with a rag you would have to be very careful as it probably won't come off the glass, try it 1st on back if it is painted on back. You could ask if way to add highlights. What color is the frame now? Krylon has a nice gold color I think if they haven't changed it. Might have it at lumber yard, Sears Kmart, etc.Jan

o

Jan, I do have a Michael's and a JoAnn's. I'll try there and see what's available. The frame is currently a medium brown tone. I just want a little gold rather than painting the whole thing gold. Thanks for the advice!

Java

o

Michael's has rub and buff, I use it often..

o

Thank you! I've gotten away from this project during the holidays and need to refocus. Maybe Michaels won't be so crowded now!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here