Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
delilah66

Mirror Frame Needs Bling

Delilah66
13 years ago

I have a wood-framed mirror that I would like to add some gold shine to.It's in a dining room full of wood and needs to "lighten up". How can I do that without refinishing or just painting the entire frame? Gold leaf or some metallic type rub-on finish? I am completely unfamiliar with any crafting type supplies/finishes that might be available and where to find them. Thanks for any help and leads!

Comments (4)

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

If you have a Joanne's or Michael's you could ask them for best product for the mirror frame. I have some rub-on stuff I used years ago but don't know that they even make it anymore. If you don't have any craft stores your next place is art supply store or hardware store & ask for best thing to rub on frame. I don't think you want to use gold leave as it is hard to work with & expensive. I have gotten a nice gold colored paint & sprayed it into a small jar that is wide, like a 1/2 pt. Ball jar do it on newspapers & have spray paint well mixed like it says on can & when you have a 1/2 in. of paint in the jar or finger is hurting. Stop & apply with small rag wear gloves, or a small brush, with a rag you would have to be very careful as it probably won't come off the glass, try it 1st on back if it is painted on back. You could ask if way to add highlights. What color is the frame now? Krylon has a nice gold color I think if they haven't changed it. Might have it at lumber yard, Sears Kmart, etc.Jan

• Delilah66
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jan, I do have a Michael's and a JoAnn's. I'll try there and see what's available. The frame is currently a medium brown tone. I just want a little gold rather than painting the whole thing gold. Thanks for the advice!

Java

• lindasc
    13 years ago

Michael's has rub and buff, I use it often..

• Delilah66
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you! I've gotten away from this project during the holidays and need to refocus. Maybe Michaels won't be so crowded now!