Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kudzukween

Making Paper Snowflakes-Use What You Have!!

kudzukween
14 years ago

I tried out different kinds of paper I had around the house. Old hymnal pages, cupcake and candy papers, small doilies bought at a yard sale, and coffee filters.

{{gwi:1487011}}

these are made of hymnal pages

{{gwi:1487012}}

these are made of small paper doilies

{{gwi:1487013}}

pastel cupcake papers and small white candy papers

{{gwi:1487014}}

made from basket style coffee filters.

I plan on ironing and starching these, and string some with invisible thread. I'm not sure how to do that with the cupcake papers, but I'll try to figure it out!

don't the ones from coffee filters look like old hex signs on a barn?

Here is a link that might be useful: Kudzu's Blog

Comments (4)

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

Your snowflakes are very pretty

If you want to stiffen them up a little and make them less tearable,instead of ironing, paint on a little white glue. If it's too thick you can thin it with a little water. By the time you've painted one side they should be dry enough to flip them and paint the other side. You can do as many coats as you wish and it dries clear. A narrow ribbon might be nice to tie them with, maybe silver or white, and it wouldn't rip through as easily as thread

• toomuchglass
    14 years ago

You know - it's been so long since I cut out a snowflake - I don't even remember how . I've never seen them as fancy as yours though ~ ! Mine were just kinda squarish .
    Kudz ...... you REEK talent ( LOL ) My jaw drops at every idea you post !!

** I wish you were my neighbor .... *grin* !!

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

How many times did you fold the snowflakes paper? I made couple last year for 1st time in years & just too xerox paper & made a square & then folded it in half total of 4 folds then I rounded off the wide edge & started cutting. Yours are more delicate looking & much nicer!! I finished making my seashell ornaments. They are beautiful, Wish I could put my pics on computer. They just glisten. I told how to do it over on Holidays forum under Beach Tree by a lady that asked how i did them. Hers are made of glass. I thought why not try real fan shaped shells. Prettiest ornaments on the tree!! Light really makes them look like they are covered with tiny lights. The Beach Tree is way down the page so might have to go back to last page of posts before this 1. So simple, so beautiful. Even kids can do this. I can just see them on your tree with the grapevine, Cherry, would be so elegant. WalMarts sells shells in craft, glass area if you don't have any. Could use other types of shells but the most beautiful are the fan shaped. The light actually is showing through the 1 from the mini-light behind it. I did not paint the backs.Secret is the DecoArt"Twinkles" glitter as it is so fine, like grains of sand sparkling!! Do you get the idea I liked the results??? LOL Twinkles would look great lightly brushed on the snowflakes too!!!It's 2 oz bottle over in with the paints. Get it when you get champagne or pearl white metallic paint & supplies would be maybe $5 & make lots of shells & snowflakes look great. Jan

• kudzukween
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks so much,ya'll! i'm so glad ya'll liked this one. I prefer making mine with 6 folds.

i'm going to pass along this awesome site i found that shows all kinds of folds......including how to fold round paper like coffee filters and square paper. it also shows how to make fancy shapes like animals and stuff!! it's easy, i made the horse a couple times then modified it to make a unicorn! and the oak leaf made a gorgeous snowflake!
    you can make up to 12 or was it 16? folds!

if you want 3-D snowflakes, fold 2 coffee filters or papers together.

the fancier snowflakes i made, the ones that really look intricate...are made using paper doilies!! those actually only have a few cuts in the center; maybe the edge is cut into a point :D i suggest letting younger kids use doilies, then they really think they've made a fancy snowflake all by themselves. i also think that the cupcake papers are perfect(and bonbon or candy papers) because they're thin but also a little stiffer,which makes it easier to unfold.

also....use those fancy edged scissors and your paper punches! we've been getting carried away with the butterfly punch...it's the only one i could find anyway :D

Here is a link that might be useful: snowflake folds and cuts patterns