Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenme43

Crafting With Aleen's petite fours(fake)to make

jenme43
16 years ago

I would love to find the instructions for this craft!...

I made these for my mother years ago and now she has passed away and the little petite fours that she loved so much and always on display got thrown out....I would love to remake them as a reminder of her.....(I had made them out of styrefoam, but i cant remember the recipy for the fake icing...??was it Aleenes glue??

Kindest Regards

Jen

Comments (15)

• oddie
    16 years ago

Sorry I dont have instructions of how these are made, but if you are looking for ideas to use for icing, I use tulip slick dimensional fabric paint you can buy at wal-mart, I make fake cinnamon rolls and it looks just like icing, takes awhile to dry but I am sure its a improvement of what your mom must have used.
    hopefully someone here will know and can help you.
    Happy crafting
    oddie

• minnie_tx
    16 years ago

Jen I found this site where they make a fake chocolate cake with frosting Maybe it can give you and idea or two.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amy Sedaris makes a fake cake for Ready Made magazine

• gram_NH
    16 years ago

Could the styrafoam squares have been wrapped her famous bread and glue recipe? That recipe could also be used for the little decorations.

• minnie_tx
    16 years ago

Jen let us know if we helped at all in your quest!!

• jenme43
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have been meaning to get back to you all and thank you for all the great ideas!...I ended up using the bread dough for the flowers.. glue and white dimensional paint mixed together for the icing...I also want to try and make some using the bread and glue recipes and wrap the squares in that....I will post a pic of both as soon as I figure it all out..what a great bunch of talented crafters on this forum...I have loved reading all the posts and enjoy the pictures!!!!.....

• minnie_tx
    16 years ago

Great we eagerly await the pics!!

• jenme43
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK this is my first attempt at posting a picture so here goes...These are the petite fours frosted with equal parts white paint and glue!..

• jenme43
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok this has taken some time and i hope this worked..

• minnie_tx
    16 years ago

No pictures Jen

• jenme43
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The ones on the plate,, are glue and paint brushed on..
    the four on the window sill..the two on the right are the rolled on glue and bread dough recipe....
    thank you all for your help...
    Jen

Here is a link that might be useful:

• gram_NH
    16 years ago

Jen, those were worth the wait for the pics! They look good enough to eat. Your Mom is proud!

I love that bread and glue. My grands just can't get over the fact that you can take a piece of bread, add glue and get roses that last a lifetime! I only use the bread and glue. There are so many recipies out there, can you share what one you used?

I found some Christmas candy molds. Going to make up some dough and push it into the molds to make some little ornies for the kids to paint. And of course, will make some roses!!

And, oh my gosh, have to ask, is that your car and camper!!!! That is just the best!!! Love it!!!

• danaoh
    16 years ago

I want your car and camper!!! Please tell us about them.

• minnie_tx
    16 years ago

Jen, they look good enough to eat. Thanks so much for sharing the photos!!

• jenme43
    Original Author
    16 years ago

YVW!Minnie..for sharing...
    ROFL..My husband's hobbies are much more extensive than bread and glue.!!!!!!The car is a 55Chev Nomad, he completely restored finally, after 17 years of ownership.
    The little camper(called a Boler) made in the 70's needed a TOTAL restore! I decorated it in a 50's diner theme and ordered the fabric for the windows and seats online. the curtains are a Betty Boop fabric....
    The winters are very long here in Canada BC and sewing is a great pass time...I could add some more pictures on that web site if you want of what it looked like before...very gross..We threw everything out..covered in black mold!..
    We are both retired and travel during the summer...lots of fun!....

Our grandkids would love the idea of Xmas molds and painting their treasures...will give that a try....

The bread dough is just the basic
    1 to 2 slices slices of bread, crusts removed
    1 Tbsp of Tacky Glue
    acrylic paint
    Jen

• minnie_tx
    16 years ago

I have a lot of candy molds suitable for either wax, candy or cookie or bread dough. If I can find the boxes I'd love to share them with you. Mostly are the kind you find in the cake Decor aisles. Let me know what you all are interested in and soon as I find them I'll let you know.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler