Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unusual Thread Necklace

Posted by ringaroundtherosie (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 24, 08 at 20:02

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have the instructions for making necklaces out of thread that all these crafters are making and selling. I've only seen a couple of them and can't figure out how to make them. They look like a triple strand of beads only the necklace is made completely from thread. The thread they use for them is about 1/16 inch wide..starts out with two threads on each side, and after about 1/8 of an inch thread is filled in completely from side to side, then there's another gap with one thread on each side and then filled in. I don't know how to explain it at all. I searched on the internet and couldn't find anything. This one lady told me they sold them at a church bazaar for $6.00 each and made over $2,000. Personally, I'd rather have real jewelry, but several ladies at our church want to make and sell them for our annual arts/crafts fair. I don't have one or I would take a photo and post it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rosie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unusual Thread Necklace

Sounds interesting!! I hope someone can help so we can see the picture!

o

Martha Stewart i believe may have what your looking for. I did have it in my favs, but it's gone. It was a necklace made of buttons I believe on 3 strands and I'm thinking made from one piece...

o

Is it possibly some sort of crochet necklace?

o

this says knotted thread necklace-no photo

http://www.ehow.com/how_2190117_make-knotted-thread-necklace.html

a crochet thread necklace- with photos
http://www.stitchdiva.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=SDS-033

o

Here's a pic of one I crocheted. I can't seem to figure out how to post a pic here. This link in on HGTV crochet messageboard.Hope this helps
http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/141104423/m/3861027583?r=3151080783#3151080783

o

Sorry I didn't check the link before I posted it. It doesn't work. Check out finished crocheted necklace by Sorie on the crochet board on hgtv.I'm still trying to figure out how to post a pic here!! Thanks

o
Unusual Thread Necklace

Hi all,

I'm going to have to find one of the necklaces and post a photo. From a distance they sort of look like a cluster of colored pearls The instructions for the knotted thread necklace could be the one, but without knowing how to make one myself, I can't be certain. I'm sure puzzled about it. Thanks for all of your help.

Rosie

o

I'm looking forward to searching such pictures, because this kind of necklace is really interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Necklaces

o

I'm not exactly sure what you are talking about, but I have two necklaces of tiny pearl beads that a "Bead expert" told me were crocheted with three strands of tiny pearls. These are quite old necklaces that belonged to my Mom. I can't figure it out and I don't remember her ever wearing them. I'm not good at posting pics either, sorry!

o

Is it what they call a 'floating' necklace? Where the threads almost appear invisible, and just the pearls showing?

o

Can a bracelet be made with this same pattern? Were they made as children and now crafter's are making them & selling them? I might of found the instructions at www.ehow.com? Look under the 'How To' tab and then search for, 'How to make a 'Knotted Thread Necklace'. Let me know if this is it or not, okay. My sister & I used to make these as girls and used the empty cardboard that held bolts of fabric and a T pin to secure our necklaces and bracelets at the top while knotting them. It is also what they call macrame. Good luck!!!

o

There is some thread that is heavier that the counted cross stitch thread, but made by the same company. It is designed for necklaces. Check under DMC web site.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here