Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adellabedella_usa

Neat gift to make with preschoolers

Adella Bedella
19 years ago

I was in a gift shop the other day and saw a fancy jar of layeres of different colored sugar selling for $10. There was less than 2 cups of sugar in the jar. The instructions on the bottle were to use the sugar for tea or coffee. I wouldn't pay money for that, but I thought it'd make a great present for little kids to make for the relatives. It's a project that's easy to do and the sugar can be used for other recipes if the recipient doesn't use sugar in coffee or tea.

I found these directions online for jars to be used as a decoration, but as usual I improvised and am using salt, pepper and sugar shakers as my containers. I put a cup of sugar and a few drops of coloring in a ziplock baggie and let the kids shake the bags. Press up the color clumps with your fingers and it'll eventually all mix up. Even my 2.5 yo did a good job of mixing. (Also it was a good learning experience because I showed the kids which colors to mix to come up with orange, purple and brown.) I bought cheap containers today at Wal-Mart. Either today or tomorrow, we'll fill them. I plan on printing out some sort of gift tag about sugars or sweetness on the computer and then letting the kids decorate them with markers or stickers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sugar jars

Comments (3)