Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kentisland_gw

using Mother's wedding dress

kentisland
18 years ago

I have 4 sisters, and we would like to use our mother's wedding dress in some way that we all have a keepsake from it. Does anyone have any ideas on what we could make (or have made) from the dress so that each of us can have a piece of it? Even though we hate to "cut up" the dress, it seems better than only 1 person having it--we really want to share it. One thought I've had is to combine a piece of the dress with a wedding photo in some way? I'm just not very creative and crafty! Any and all ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (8)

• qtiemom
    18 years ago

Maybe make little dresses for stuffed teddy bear frames (they sell them at Hobby Lobby.) You can use your pics and also a piece of the wedding dress....
    Just a quick Idea!...lol
    Marci

• les917
    18 years ago

Before you cut it up, do any of you have daughters that might by chance want to wear the gown when they marry? If so I'd leave it alone until you are sure that someone won't be broken hearted that it is gone.

I would think that you could make four very pretty pillows with the fabric, perhaps using the lace over the top or as an edging (if there is any lace)

Otherwise, you could each have a shadowbox, use the fabric as the lining of the box, add a wedding pix, some dried flowers like she had in her bouquet tied with a length of satin ribbon, a copy of their marriage license or the family bible page about their marriage, etc. If you have a copy of their wedding invitation or other momentos, you could copy those on nice vellum (have it done at the copy place with a laser copier for best quality).

• evelyn_craftdiva
    18 years ago

I think I remember seeing them make pillows out of someones
    dress once on the show Clean Sweep. Just a thought!

• maybee_gw
    18 years ago

I wouldn't cut it up, but there are some good ideas on here so far. I used to make photo albums covered in fabric...you could make each sister an album for family pictures.

• sharoncrafts
    18 years ago

My girlfriend made Christening gowns for the grand children out of her Mom's

• valzone5
    18 years ago

I used my mother's dress in my wedding - but I didn't wear it (out of style and we were not anywhere near the same size). I made little bags for the flower girls to carry. In the bags were our wedding rings. The girls kept their bags as a keepsake.

Val

• valzone5
    18 years ago

Just thought of something else - what about making scented sachets for your clothing drawers.

Val

• cathey6815
    15 years ago

I made muslin bunnies and then took my wedding dress and made wedding gowns for the bunnies out of my dress. In the bunnies hands I put a bouquet just like I carried in the left hand and in the right hand I made a muslin hankie, just a square with lace around it but I took a copy of me and my husband on our wedding day in the dress and copied the photo onto the hankie, I also made a vale for the bunnies and I gave one to each granddaughter. They were beautiful. good luck what ever you all choose to do.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner