Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
posieh_gw

Time for Christmas Crafts?

posieh
12 years ago

Thinking ahead, Christmas is coming! A couple years ago I made "cans full of Nothing" for folks who wanted nothing for Christmas. Just started again. Discovered that using a popular soup can I can glue a regular canning lid over the top that has been cut off, and that will be the bottom of the can. (that's on the cans you cut open, not the ones with the pull tab lids) Then I cut a shininy Christmas page from a magazine such as Martha's and a page cut right will fit the can nicely. Last time I covered the cans with Christmas paper or printed a cover. Using the magazine page is so much easier. Then print a label whatever size you wish and glue on. Or use an emnpty jelly jar and paint the lid. My label says:

Your Christmas Gift

When asked what you'd

Like for Christmas

You said, "Oh nothing".

So I searched the Mall

And some other stores

And found just the gift

You wanted. So here it is

A whole can of "Nothing"!

Comments (9)

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

It is time, and once again just not inspired and probably won't be until its too late. I think this time I'll make Christmas Crafts in January and hope I remember where I put them for next year!
    The cans of nothing sound cute.
    Kathy

• msflora
    12 years ago

posieh, that's funny! Could you say you spend alot of time on nothing? :) I would love to see the expressions on people's faces when they get them. Could you post a pic of one you've finished?

• posieh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just will add a note here, I also make cans of Jack Rabbit Milk and cans of Dehydrated Water. Haven't done those for a few years so will need to find my old notes. I'm not great at posting pics but may try later when I have more time. Can't believe that no one is adding Cristmas crafts.

• oldcrafty
    12 years ago

Hope you do find your old notes. The milk and the water has my head churning trying to figure those out!!! LOVE your nothing idea. Pics would be wonderful.

• enjoyingspring
    12 years ago

I am knitting all my friends and family 2 dishclothes. Have several different patterns.

There just doesn't seem to be any useful Christmas crafts to make anymore. I have been going to several Xmas craft shows and all you see is jewelery.

• Adella Bedella
    12 years ago

Here is a pretty cool Christmas tree ornament mobile. I doubt I'll make it, but it sure is cute.

Here is a link that might be useful: Christmas Tree mobil

• Adella Bedella
    12 years ago

Here's an easy ball craft that can be made out of paper, a photograph, or a coke can. You can use a paper brad or split pin in placef the wire.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ball ornament

• Adella Bedella
    12 years ago

I like the basic idea of family ornaments on the tree. For instance the first year, I was married I hand appliqued a male, female, and cat "snowmen" on a piece of fabric and then decorated, dated, and made it into a stuffed circle ornament. Occassionally, as we find relevant ornaments, we add to the family idea. One year, dh bought us a set of a family made out of Sculpey. Another year, it was the handprint snow family made out of fingers. I'm sure there are many variations out there. Anyway, I'm linking a family made out of glove fingertips. You could use another object like a popsicle stick if you need a smaller family.

Here is a link that might be useful: Make a Snowman Family

• gardenlady58102
    12 years ago

It does seem as though there is tons of jewelery at the shows..what has been selling good for me (and will be using for Christmas gifts)are: corn filled warming bags (great for aches and pains, but also for warming the foot of bed between sheets, or to lay over your feet while watching TV), crocheted top towels, coasters made from jean seams, bingo bags and jean purses :0)