Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oddie_gw

New snowman bed springs

oddie
16 years ago

Sorry the photos got turned around and I dont know how to fix it!

been playing with the bed springs agine, made the nose from saltdough, and tried all kinds of methods for the heads, the snowman looking up has the last of the glass bulbs I used last year on them,the rest are styrfoam, was given a large bag of custom jewerly so been adding some of it, have a question also I might get into a small craft show and maybe sell a few also my dd sil wants a couple ,so I have to know what would be a fare price, dont get to many craft shows and the old rule wouldnt work as I spend way to much time! what would you pay and dont worrie it wont hurt my feeling

happy Crafting

oddie

{{gwi:195906}}

Comments (20)

• becky54_2007
    16 years ago

Can't help you out with a fair price but just wanted to say ADORABLE. Hope someone else can help you with the price to ask. Went to a craft show today but nothing there as adorable as these. You did a GREAT job.
    Becky

• donnas_gw
    16 years ago

those are so cute oddie!!! I love how you have them looking up. I don't do craft shows either, so I wouldn't have any idea what a fair price would be. I only make crafts for myself to display here at the house. Actually, I've spent most of my life sewing, making mine and my daughter's clothes, and doing some home decorating. Never sold any of that, either..lol.

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Oddie, you have been a busy gal! They are adorable. Hopefully some of the ladies who are currently doing shows will chime in with pricing ideas for you. Luvs

• honeysuckleridge
    16 years ago

oh woman!! These are so precious!!! Great job!! Beautiful!!

ginger

• craftylady-2006
    16 years ago

Hey Oddie - me, I'd say anywhere between $6 and $10 would be a fair price for your bedspring snowmen. I just think they're fantastic. And, my friend, I know you wonder what it should be for your time and effort, that's the hard part for me because I too spend way too much time putting things together and still wonder if it's good enough. I just made a wreath with a handcrafted fabric candy cane with the mica flakes, etc. and wanted $14.99 for it. Went to bed thinking that was too much and got up and changed it to $12.99. So you price your snowmen as best what you think you'd pay for them and just go for it. Good luck.

Sal

• susiesunshine
    16 years ago

Howdy Oddie: These are just sooooooo precious! I love the adorable little faces... and the way you accessorized them...the little scarves and the twigs of greenery and the little halo/hat of vine... I'm not sure of the prices either...
    But I know if I had $$$$$ money I would buy a couple!!!
    and plus they make great gifts...
    You Did a Superb JOB !!!!!
    Thanks so much for sharing... and for explaining the recipe of how to make them!!!!
    H*A*P*P*Y H*O*L*I*D*A*Y*S !!!
    God Bless!
    susiesunshine

• oddie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gosh you guys sure know how to make a girl feel good! thanks so much for all your very nice compliments!
    Sal thanks for posting prices, my dd sil offered me $7.50 each, thought that sounded fair, I will only get to do the craft show if this other lady desides not to, guess its set up the year before. I think 15 would be a good price and probley to cheap for your wreath, I have seen your projects and I know you go way out on them, besides you cant find a plain wreath to decorate for less then 10, anyway thats my opinion.
    Thanks agine
    oddie

• Pudge 2b
    16 years ago

Oddie, I saw these nodders today at a craft show (yeah, lots of home party stuff there). They were priced at $21.

Here is a link that might be useful: home and gift nodders

• oddie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks pudge, I checked out the link, omg those are real cute, looks like they are useing the small springs , mine are 7 in tall just the spring part and come from the very old springs that wasnt covered, doesnt matter, I just like the taller springs the best, so do you think $7.50 is a fare price for mine?
    Thanks for shareing the info!
    oddie

• Pudge 2b
    16 years ago

Oddie, I think that $7.50 would be on the low end of fair price and you could possibly go higher. Getting honest feedback from friends & family is always a good indicator. I have 3 people that I get pricing help from - one is very frugal (my mom), my SIL who will pay more for items and my neighbor who always falls inbetween. You've been offered $7.50, perhaps ask a couple more people who you know will be honest with you and that will give you a better indication of where to price it.

• evelyn_craftdiva
    16 years ago

I would charge $9.99. When you price just under 10 dollars
    people usually think they are getting a good deal.
    As usual your springs are just adorable. Keep up the great works!!

• Cheri_C
    16 years ago

Oh Oddie, Those are so awesome!!! I always look forward to seeing what you create. You do such wonderful work. TFS
    Cheri

• skyrider
    16 years ago

my goodness! these are the sweetest! they look like they are looking up to Heaven and praying for more snow! Such talent!

• oddie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry had forgotton about this post and didnt check back, thank you for your nice comments! I just love makeing these, I like attaching a little tag with the poem ( star lite star brite please dont let me melt tonight!) thats what started me pointing the face up like they are wishing on a star!
    oddie

• janied
    16 years ago

Oddie, your snowmen are the cutest I have ever seen. Will you give us a tut on how you made them? I finally found some bed springs and would love to make some snowmen like yours. TFS, Janie

• oddie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

jained here is the tut I made for the bed springs! all the ones made this year has a salt dough nose, easy to make, just think about what a carrot looks like, I use gallery glass paints on the nose, kinda makes them look more real, and leaves them kinda shiney like a carrot, the frist photo I painted over the nose with orange paint, you can see the difference, the balls have given me fits! what I have left of the styrofoam balls has the lg pores, that painting does not fill you can use joint compound, to dunk the balls in, was out of that so I dunked them in melted wax, kinda shapeing it as it dried so it looked like a snowball, painted them frist with gesso them white paint, a few light sprays of sealer.
    the joint compound would be the best to use, you can buy it in a bag that you mix yourself alot cheaper, texture paint would work also ( the kind sold at lowes )hope this helps! cant think of anything else to add, but if you have any questions just ask! you know you have to post photos when done!
    oddie

sorry cant figure out how to bum up the post, but do a search at the bottom of the page for bed springs and it will come up!

• paintingfool
    16 years ago

These are adorable. You did a great job - I remember when these first came out and I got so excited but didn't know where I would find the springs - I told my husband what I needed and he just looked at me and said "don't even think about it!" I guess he was afraid I wanted our mattress. Anyway, these are very sweet. I love the way you make the perimeter of the photo fuzzy. Is that a special program?

• natureperson
    16 years ago

I could see paying $10 for those and possibly even $12. They are simply adorable!

• oddie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, on the photo I use picture it photo program, you can soften the edges of your photo to what degree you like, as I have done here, also you can highlite the edges, and in all colors, but I like the soften edges in the white best, helps when there is something in the background you would like to kinda cover up, hope you find some springs, I like the real old ones the best.
    natureperson, thank you, I sold a few for $7.50 , had planed on asking more when I open a esty store, figured it would be to late for Christmas iteams, so need to get some crafts made up before I go forward.
    oddie

• gchicagocubs
    7 years ago

Although this was posted in 2007 and it's 2016 I thought I would throw in my 2 cents regarding pricing. My wife's family have been making a different x-mas craft each thanksgiving after dinner for about 20 years. Like many others, we do not sell what we make but when people see what is made they want to buy one. Items mass produced will typically be lower cost because of the low cost labor used outside the U.S. If you factor in the cost of your material and the time it took to make each at a reasonable US hourly rate w/o benefits and then mark it up by a % you feel is appropriate, then that is what I would use. Otherwise you maybe giving them away and losing money. At the very least cover your cost if making x-mas items for sale give you personal joy.

This year we are using the coil springs to make various Santa's and Snowmen. I personally went out and found an old coil spring mattress and used bolt cutters to remove about 50 of them. Granted, I got 50 springs but I also have about 2 hours of my own time in the process. I value my time and car expense more than what companies are paying workers in China, Thailand, Mexico, etc. We typically buy decorating items from Hobby Lobby to hold the cost down of each project but we have also sewn wool caps from scratch for decorating glass blocks into frosty the snowman that you will not find anywhere else. One year I went out to the woods and cut logs from several different diameters and drilled/doweled them together to make snowmen. We have a good time making each project and display them all around the home each xmas