Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacquelyn72

* Snowballs *

Jacquelyn
17 years ago

Been making snowballs. I like these kind of snowballs!! But I did make look like "Dirty" snowballs you can have them very white and glittery too. These look wonderful in a bowl w/greenery for the holidays and then you can leave them out for the rest of the winter too! People love these at craft shows too! I bagged quite a few of the them up and will give them to family members cause I have some asking for them.

Enjoy!

{{gwi:1485300}}

{{gwi:1485301}}
{{gwi:1481739}}

Comments (17)

• bestalikat
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

How clever! Are these based on Styrofoam balls?

At first I thought they were cookies!

Allison

• grannyicu
    17 years ago

Oh jackie everysite I go to I see your Snowball's I want some. You know I have your RED WHITE AND BLUE ANGEL you gave me years ago hanging up on my bullintin board. These snowballs are so real.......jan

• toomuchglass
    17 years ago

VERY PRETTY --- snowballs and holly are the perect combo ... reminds me of ddecorations from days gone by .

• iowagirl2006
    17 years ago

I love those Jackie - I can't decide if I want to make the Prim ones or plain sparkly white.....your's look great primmed up though...hmmmmm....

I know I will have a glorious mess when I make them, lol! I have the recipe from last year and even have some mica flakes to use - just haven't jumped into the project yet.

Someone recommended using the "pink while wet" joint compound. Can you buy it in small containers?

• nikki_nj
    17 years ago

Very cute!

• trulyblessed
    17 years ago

Yours are lovely...more like the "dirty" snow we always have here - the only time it's clean is the snowfall in the middle of the night LOL....I made some last year - they can be seen in my "house" here -

Here is a link that might be useful: My 'house

• Mystical Manns
    17 years ago

So, if somebody were new to this site, where would they find directions to make these snowballs?

StoneyBaloney
    (from the Kitchen Table)

• trulyblessed
    17 years ago

These were shared on the net last year....this is how I made mine
    FREE CHRISTMAS SNOWBALLS RECIPE
    'Tis the Season for giving, so I have decided to give you all one of my favorite Primitive Christmas Craft Recipes for Free! You will love my Recipe for
    *MAKING OLDE FASHIONED WINTER SNOWBALLS, ICICLES & SNOWFLAKES*
    So EASY, fast and fun to make! Even the kids can get involved! These were a Great seller for me last Christmas ~ and they can be for you too!!
    It is my gift to you...and with plenty of time to make them for gift giving, craft shows, for your websites and shoppes, or even to sell on here on ebay! Don't forget to make up a batch for yourself too! So sweet tucked in an Early wooden dough bowl, trencher, basket, crock or Early jar... with a few sprigs of greens or cedar & some dried red berries! Fun! These Snowballs can be enjoyed Not ONLY at Christmas time but ALL Winter long ~ from November till the end of February!! Then, just tuck them away with the same care you would use with any Christmas Ornament, and they will last for Years & Years!! It was love at first sight when I first discovered the recipe for making these sparkly primitive snowballs in the 1999 issue of Gooseberry Patch... The Christmas Book! Those ladies are very talented for sure, and they were good enough to share this sweet recipe, so now it's my turn to share this fun holiday craft! I will explain below how to make them : in all sizes, big or small...in the traditional Wintery White, or make the Grungy dirty snowballs... How to make them scented or unscented, and how to make them S*P*A*R*K*L*E in more ways than one, with lots of popular Prim glitters! I am also Including full instructions for making fun winter ICICLES and Glistening SNOWFLAKES with the same easy recipe & Tecniques! Packaging tips too, and how to turn them into Prim Ornaments! Also be sure to take note of where to get the best supplies for the job at very low prices and all can be found locally... Hurray for no online shopping!
    These are SO innexpensive, and profitable to make and even a child can do it, although if you are making them for selling, you may want to make them yourself, just to be sure you get the perfect look you want! Lots of crafters are already making these exact same snowballs on ebay ~ You can too!
    ~*~
    RECIPE
    OLDE FASHIONED WINTERY CHRISTMAS SNOWBALLS
    ~*~ Wintery Christmas Snowballs ~*~
    A Vintage Christmas Tradition
    ~*~
    Making Realistic sparkly white Christmas snowballs has never been easier!!
    Here's what you'll need:
    1. A few packs of white styrophome balls in any size you like. They come in 1" 1.5" 2" 2.5" 3" and so on! Get them from Walmart, JoAnns Fabric, or any craft supply store. A package of a dozen is aprox. $2.00 - 3.50 depending on where you buy them and what size balls!
    2. A bucket of white joint compound. Available at Walmart or any hardware store.
    3. Your choice of either mica glitter, german glass glitter, or diamond dust (you can even use the clear glitter available at any craft supply store for basically the very same look!
    (all glitters available on ebay. Just type in Mica glitter, Mica snow etc.)
    OPTIONAL SUPPLIES FOR GRUNGING & SCENTING:
    4. fragrance oil for candle making which is available online at Wholesale prices, on ebay and also at any walmart or craft supply store!!
    5. Nutmeg
    6. brown craft paint
    7. plastic or wax paper lined tray or baking sheet
    How to make the BASIC traditional white snowballs BOTH scented and Regular:
    To make the snowballs the traditional white and NON SCENTED, just Roll your styrophome balls generously in the already stirred joint compound and quickly drop the rolled styro. ball into a bowl of your glitter of choice. Mica is my favorite! Then just toss the glitter onto the ball and roll it around CAREFULLY to coat snowball evenly. GENTLY pick up the ball and shake off excess glitter, and place it onto the plastic or wax paper lined tray to dry for 2-3 days. Roll balls over atleast once in the middle of drying time. Dry FULLY! Use a nice variety of sizes!! If you wish to SCENT the snowballs, simply blend a few drops of your desired Holiday fragrance oil into the joint compound and blend well, BEFORE rolling your styrophome balls! Make sure you are happy with the fragrance before rolling the balls! You can always add a few more drops for a stronger, long lasting scent! The oils I use are candle making oils, which can either be bought wholesale online, on ebay or even at local craft supply stores and ofcourse... Walmart! I like using Jack Frost, Peppermint stick, Holiday Cinnamon, Christmas Sugar Cookie, etc...Wanna make them grungy??
    How to make the dirty snowballs:
    I have been experimenting and have come up with a New & Improved method for making your snowballs extra grungy, and so easy to achieve! Just place some of your joint compound in an old tupperware or cool whip container, and add your fragrance oil IF you are scenting them...and mix with a few drops of brown craft paint (available at any Walmart or craft store for about 49 -90 cents!) and blend to create a creamy Ivory Color! Start with only a drop, and add more drops of paint untill the desired color is achieved! Then proceed to roll your styrophome balls in the Ivory compound, roll in your glitter and set to dry as usual! IF you want little flecks of "Dirt" in your snowballs, just add a sprinkle of nutmeg to the compound and paint, before rolling the balls and coating with mica!
    Because they take a few days to make, it is a good plan to start early!
    Making Glittery Holiday Icicles:
    If you want to make the holiday Icicles, just use the same easy tecniques as you would use in making the snowballs, but rather than coating styrophome balls, just coat CLEAR PLASTIC ICICLES with the joint compound and continue as usual. The plastic icicles are clear and are usually used as ornaments, but can be found just about anywhere in packages of 20 or more.You can make these white, or grungy as well, and scented or plain! Whatever you prefer!!
    PACKAGING TIPS:
    Great Fall & Winter craft show sellers or make for holiday gift giving! Try bagging up 1/2 dozen icicles along with a 1/2 dozen variously sized snowballs... all in a cello bag with a pretty festive bow and tied with some cedar sprigs or greens, and watch them fly off the shelves! Or toss them into a wrinkly brown bag tied with Twine and a "snowflake" hanging from the bag Or Grungy "Vintage Christmas Picture" Tag, with dangling Rusty Bell!! Fill old ball jars, or fabric covered paper mache boxes!
    HERE'S HOW TO MAKE THE SNOWFLAKES:
    Making snowflakes is simple! I Like to use them as ornaments or hang them from the bag of snowballs or icicles as an accent! The same tecniques are used as the snowballs and the icicles. Just purchase the cheap clear or white plastic snowflake shaped ornaments from Walmart, dollar stores, etc.. in the Christmas section...and brush on the joint compound with a sponge brush... coat with glitter, bang off excess and set to dry... It is best to apply the compound with a sponge brush for easy application! Just DAB it on! Make them white or grungy just like you would the snowballs and icicles! Scent them up if you choose and toss a few in a cello bag!
    MAKING THEM INTO ORNAMENTS:
    You can tie a grungy piece of string from the tips of the icicles & snowflakes for the cutest Olde Time Vintage Ornaments for hanging on your trees or for gift giving~ Even for selling! If you wish to make the snowballs into ornaments, just cut a piece of rusty craft wire or any black will do also, and poke through the center of the styrophome ball... when the wire pokes through the other side, bend it over flat against the ball, Then proceed to roll in the joint compound, glitter it and set to dry! Be sure to bend the HOOK shape so it will hang nicely! The compound will harden around the wire and the hook will be STUCK for good!
    These THREE crafts are so fun and most of the supplies can be found at either Walmart, or any favorite craft supply store. If you can't find them in a local store, all ingredients are available online & on ebay! ENJOY!
    ~*~ SEASONS GREETINGS ~*~

• nonacook
    17 years ago

Thank you so much for sharing this with us!

• iowagirl2006
    17 years ago

That's the recipe I got last year too! Thanks for posting, truly!

• Jacquelyn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yup thats the recipe!! Thanks for sharing..

{{gwi:1481739}}

• gw:craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

Very nice and primitive Jackie. You sure are on the go getting the decorations ready for the Holiday seasons aren't you!!

Sal

• bulldinkie
    17 years ago

I made them with white wax,melt it,mix with fork kinda beat it.mold into balls cute too.

• SEWigardnut
    17 years ago

Can you roll them in the fake snow?

• Dottie B.
    17 years ago

What a cute idea and so easy! Thanks for the instructions!

• tammy_crafter
    17 years ago

The snowballs are really cute! Do you think the same idea could be used on the "stem" of an electric candle to give it a primative look? Saw somebody at a craft show use something I think was wax and one that was more clear and they "darken" it. Also, do you know what the greenery is called that feels like fun foam? There is a garland and now a new wreath that is out - cannot find it ANYWHERE!

• oddie
    17 years ago

just wanted to add that you can also make snowballs by takeing any size styrfoam ball and rolling it in melted wax poured out on a old cookie sheet, its another way of useing up old candles, and the snowballs are very light oddie