Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about pricing

Posted by jenni_ca (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 15, 11 at 15:14

I made a few of these cute Santa scarfs and a neighbor wants to buy one.

I have NO idea what to charge her. It is made out of fleece. Double layer, 60" long.
I have never bought a scarf in my life, much less a custom one so I have no earthly idea what to charge.
Also, wondering if these would be a good seller at a Holiday Bazaar?
Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about pricing

That's cute!

I'd pay $25, but it is probably worth more.

o

Are you serious....I was thinking oh about $12-15.
Boy I stink at this pricing stuff. It's so much easier to just give stuff away! LOL

o

Very cute!
Not sure on price either. $20 is what came to mind, if it is warm as well as cute. But if you can get $25 go for it!
You could make a little matching brooch from scraps for $5 for the cheap shopper.
Kathy

o

Hi, Jenni! Your scarf is really cute and clever!

Rule of thumb used to be - 3x the cost of the materials. So if you have $6 invested in the fabrics and supplies, you should charge at least $18. And if it takes a really long time to make it, adjust your number up, of course.

o

what state are you in?

California or New York = higher prices.

Midwest, lower income places = lower prices.

I like the idea of triple-ing your cost.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here