Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edufrin

Felt wreath ornament

edufrin
15 years ago

I made one of these for each household in my family for a heartfelt Christmas gift this year. I got the idea from Martha Stewart's website but altered it to what I like. I added a little glittery pinecone for some pazazz. Hope you all enjoy making and giving these precious little wreaths!

What youÂll need:

1/4 yard dark green wool felt

1/4 yard light green wool felt

1/8 yard red wool felt

1/4 yard webbing

1/4 lb 22 ga green floral wire

green floral tape

tacky or fabric glue

Step 1 Choose two colors of green wool felt to form the leaves and some webbing to bond them together. DonÂt buy the cheap felt, it will get pilly and loose.

Step 2 Layer the felt and webbing and cut into strips about 1-2 inches wide depending on how long you want your leaves to be.

Step 3 Cut 4 inch pieces of 22 ga. green floral wire and layer with one piece of felt on bottom, webbing on top of that, and wire on top of both. Leave about ¾ inch of space between wires depending on how wide you want your leave.

Step 4 Place second piece of felt on top. Using a hot iron (I set mine on max) set iron on top to bond pieces together. Do not shift the iron around to ensure that the stems donÂt move. Heat up on whole side, lightly pull in the stems to see if they are stuck, then flip over and repeat to make sure everything is bonded.

Step 5 Cut out leaf shape with wire centered on leaf.

Step 6 Wrap green floral tape tightly around base of leaf a few times to ensure that it wonÂt come off the wire. *YouÂll need to pull the floral tape really tight to get it to stick, this may take a few tries to get your technique down.

Step 7 Continue to wrap most of the way down the stem.

Step 8 Cut out this approx. 5 inch long triangles from the red felt.

Step 9 Apply a little tacky or fabric glue to red triangles. Make sure to get it all the way down to the itty-bitty end so that the berry does not start to unravel.

Step 10 Starting at the wide end of the triangle, wrap felt around a 4 inch long piece of floral wire. It will start to take on a round shape as you get to the end of the triangle. *Let dry completely to ensure that the berries do not slip off their stems.

Step 11 Take a few leaves and berries and wrap together with floral wire. Continue adding leaves and berries, wrapping each little cluster with floral tape as you go, until you have a long string of them (about 10 inches long).

Step 12 Gently bend, little by little, to form a wreath shape. Secure ends together with floral wire.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022