Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flamingo_in_ar

First faeries in their little packages!

FlamingO in AR
16 years ago

I couldn't be more pleased with how these are turning out! And I absolutely could not have done them without the help and encouragement of Jenni CA. She sent me things I couldn't find around here, made a prototype herself, and helped me brainstorm several difficulties. I really like the Easter Egg/diorama aspect of them. (Jenni's idea, I might add!) My way with the little door wasn't working, you couldn't see the faerie for the string. So anyway, only 22 more to do, lol! I'm on it though and I have lots of time, like 3 weeks.... each balloon is kind of labor intensive with the blow drier, but I can handle it. Thanks again, Jenni, pal-o-mine!

Comments (26)

• donner
    16 years ago

They are just wonderful! Your exchange group will be very impressed. (and very lucky)
    Donna

• maryanntx
    16 years ago

Perfect!!! But with those 2 creative brains working on them, I would expect nothing less!

I would want to hang my faerie in her package on the tree!

• shysue
    16 years ago

Oh! They are fantastic! Great way to package them.

• jenni_ca
    16 years ago

I just can't stop looking at them! They are just perfect!
    I think the cut out was just 'the frosting on the cake'
    Your pals are going to be oooohhhhhing and aaaahhhhhing over them for sure.
    The way you have decorated the tops, and the cute little tags and bow....wonderful presentation for the cute little fairies!!!
    Glad I could be of some help. Pretty good that at about 1500 miles apart we did it! LOL

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Congratulations! You gals brainstormed together so well and they look just perfect. The packaging is so cute, I'd want to keep mine in the package too like Maryanntx said. Great job! Luvs

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    16 years ago

Fantastic!!! I would display them just as is too! Boy you are so creative. I love your attention to detail. Your exchange group is going to love these. Are the other ladies as creative as you? Great teamwork Flamey and Jenni!

~Betsy

• tuscaroramaiden
    16 years ago

They are so precious!!! I wish I was in your exchange!!
    The ladies are going to love them. I love the way they're set in the eggs. Good luck making the rest of them!

• oddie
    16 years ago

omg they are sooo cute! love the packageing idea, althoe alot of work, looks perfect for those dareling faeries!
    oddie

• minnie_tx
    16 years ago

They are adorable and I bet they never come out of the package!!!Too cute!!

• FlamingO in AR
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, thanks so much everyone! (Especially Jenni! lol) I hope they take them out of the egg so they can examine them and enjoy them fully. They look so cute scattered around the house- a friend of mine keeps hers in a little ceramic convertible on her desk. lol And I have one hanging on a painted gourd in the guest bath. You can put them in teacups in the kitchen, wherever you want. But what they do is up to them, as long as they like them, that's all I care!

I made them easy to remove, they are just tied in with a bit of linen jute, bow on the back of the egg.

• Adella Bedella
    16 years ago

That turned out really cute!

• donner
    16 years ago

Will you please share some pics of the reaction of your friends when they saw the Faeries.
    Donna

• dianelea
    16 years ago

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together? They look great!

• grandma_bonnie
    16 years ago

Fabulous!

• maryanntx
    16 years ago

....a friend of mine keeps hers in a little ceramic convertible on her desk.

Guess I need to make one to ride one of my miniature motorcycles. LOL Cool!

• thrift_shop_romantic
    16 years ago

Oh gosh, they're really ideal! What a great idea. I love how you've tagged them, too. I'd wondered what you'd decide on in the end, and your choice is perfect.

-Jenn

• FlamingO in AR
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks some more! lol I have made them in lime green, purple, orange, yellow, hot pink and red. Very festive looking, hanging from clothespins on the wall in the craft room, from a length of piping cord. :)

I have 9 finished now and 6 more ready to finish, that'll make 15 done. I'll try to get 6 more started today, too, that'll make 21. Woohoo, the end is in sight!

I don't think there will be any pictures of reactions, but I will give you a report after the party. I'm pretty sure they'll really like them. If they don't, they can just give them back to me! lol

• waddles
    16 years ago

that is just perfect for them

• Mystical Manns
    16 years ago

Flamey, they're absolutely wonderful. I don't think you could have found a better way to present them, than those string eggs. It's kind of fitting, that the faeries reminded you of childhood, and their individual "houses" were made from a childhood craft, string around a balloon.

I was looking at Sally Ann Mavor's website, which book was it that you got? I think I'd rather get a book that covers several, than a kit for a particular faery. In all honesty, I don't think I have the talent or the patience to complete any of them, but gosh ... it's sure tempting to try and make something so cute.

• FlamingO in AR
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, you guys!

Stoney, I got the book, "Felt Wee Folk" and it's got a ton of ideas in it. I also ordered two of her kits, because I wanted to see and feel the quality of the felt she recommended (wool felt) and the size of the flowers. It's HARD to find the small flowers with lots of petals on each piece, I spent way too much money at first on flowers that were way too big. It takes about 3-4 hours to finish a faerie, and I usually do 2 at a time. I make up my own little kits, using a baggie. In it I put the pipe cleaners I'll use, the flowers for the skirt, a felt tunic and about 5 skeins of floss, for the legs, feet and arms, and to use on the tunic. Everything I need to work them on the sofa while watching TV. Then when the bodies and tunic and are made and on her, I finish the rest (head, wings, hair, cap, tag) upstairs the next day.

Update- I have 21 of the eggs finished and loaded up with a faerie, ready to go. I just got word that I need to have 25 for the party, at least as of this moment, so back to making faeries and more balloon eggs!

{{gwi:1485208}}

• jenni_ca
    16 years ago

OMG look at those! What a project. I don't know that I could make 25 of ANYTHING, much less these detailed things!
    I sure hope they give a prize for the BEST this year. You win hands down!!!!!

• zeetera
    16 years ago

Only you could pull that off. Wow, that's amazing. And you're making more?! You did good to get them all the same size.

• FlamingO in AR
    Original Author
    16 years ago

And ta-da- I am finished! All 25 are hanging on the wall upstairs. Now I get to admire them until party time, I just have to swaddle them in tissue and get them there with me, intact. Whew. I won't be doing anything like this again for the party, I need to stop raising the bar on myself!

Thanks for all the help and encouragement, everyone. And kudos especially to Jenni! Big smooch for you, Jenni!

• thrift_shop_romantic
    16 years ago

That little fairy assembly line is so cute. You've been one busy lady.

-Jenn

• jenni_ca
    16 years ago

Yeah!!!!! Hip hip hooray!!!!!
    I'm proud of you!! It was a huge project and you are finally done with it!!!
    You'll remember this for a long time!!
    Hopefully next year you will just make something simple!
    Yeah right...like that is going to happen! LOL
    Congratulations on a job well done!!
    I want to know tho...do you have any string left! LOL

• FlamingO in AR
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I do! It's about the size of a regular ball of crochet thread, maybe a bit bigger. That sucker was HUGE! lol

Next year? I don't really want to think about it, but I did see some cute terra cotta/snowman pot things on the Hobby Lobby website. lol And now I want to make the pinecones in a glass ornament thing! I only made the faeries because I NEEDED to make them, they spoke to me. :)

Sponsored
We believe that great design should be accessible to everyone