Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sewing Piping

Posted by lizstanton08 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 5, 08 at 14:00

I am learning to sew using the book "Sew Fast, Sew Easy." My first project is a pillow. This pillow includes piping, and the instructions state to overlap the ends of the piping. I did this, and when I sewed over it, the machine had difficulty feeding and created a clump of thread on the other side. I have one more pillow to make (as a gift to my in-laws). What can I do to prevent the thread from bunching? It only happens when I go over the double layer of piping, and the machine appears to have difficulty moving beyond that area, even when I try to guide it.

I use a Kenmore model 16231 (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02016231000P?vName=For+the+Home&cName=Sewing+Machines+%26+Accessories&sName=Conventional+Sewing+Machines).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sewing Piping

I see no one has answered you yet. I made my mom a needlepoint pillow couple of yrs back-only 1 I've ever done but it had piping around edge. I made sure piping was pinned through so it didn't disappear when I started could run stitch or 2 through it so it won't move back into casing & started on a side as easier to work after you go around & come up to meet where you started, I just measured it & cut it about 1/4 in. longer than I thought I needed by pulling the fabric back do the cut & put the ends of fabric over the starting fabric & edges of fabric ruffle tucked inside itself & finish by hand. It came out beautifully. Trying to sew over it will twist it I think, but I rarely do things like other people so I do what I have to do to get results, maybe has something to do with being a leftie?? Hope someone else has a better explanation. Jan

o

If you go to you tube and search 'sewing piping' you get a bunch of videos showing different steps in making piping and attaching piping...

ml

o

If you can, purchase a piping foot, makes sewing piping so much easier. If not, use a zipper foot and move your needle to the left. You are not sewing over the piping but sewing right next to it.

o

Rather than sewing over it where it joins, I usually trim it and butt the ends of the cording together and overlapping just a bit of the piping material for 1/2 inch or so. Takes a little more time, lots of pinning and measuring and trying it for size, but it's a neater look.

That said, I did overlap the ends of piping on an Amy Butler Weekender bag because it specifically said to, and I don't think my White could have done it, it was pretty thick. The Bernina handled it fine, though. They make a gizmo called a Jean-a-ma-jig, I think, to help you get up and over thicknesses, like you would find on jeans. You may need one of those.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here