Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sue_b

what can I make with antique pharmacy bottles, or how to display

sue_b
12 years ago

We inherited these 10 medicine bottles from our pharmacist father-in-law and they meant a lot to him and us too. I don't have a 'country' decor going at home but want to find a way to use or diplay these. I could hang them on our screen porch and they would be protected, but how to hang them. Or display on a floating shelf? Thanks in advance for your advice or suggestions.

Sue

Comments (7)

• kim546
    12 years ago

Sue_b, maybe wrap copper wire around neck of bottle to hang. If putting on a shelf (maybe as candle holders or vases) you could use that type of stuff they use to keep sculptures and figurines from getting knocked over. Hope this helps. Kim:)

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

They might have a lot of value antique -wise! I'd want to put them in an enclosed glass fronted cabinet if I had them on a patio so moisture couldn't ruin the labels. Unique collection & rare to see intact labels! Wonder if he ever used any of that stuff or if that was his collection of antique bottles. Antique forum might give you some insight as to value before you do anything. Jan

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Wow! Lobelia, rhubarb, witch hazel, Mandrake!, myrrh, and something without aloe. Rather an amazing collection. I would love to know how some of these still common plants were used.
    I too would be concerned about preserving the labels. Maybe take a nice picture of them sitting on an old wooden crate with your black cat in front and sell as a poster.
    I'm tempted to suggest a shelf above a doorway in your kitchen, but if its like my kitchen they would get dirty. Glass cabinet may be the way to go.
    Kathy

• patty_cakes
    12 years ago

I love vintage bottles! Take an old white pillowcase and cut an inch or so, then rip in strips. You have to rip each side as well as the ends, and pull threads which will create the fringe on all 4 sides of the strip. Cut in the length you want. Soak in coffee to 'stain', squeeze excess, smooth with fingers, and let dry. Tie 2 or 3 around each bottle. Tie or sew beads/keys/silk flowers/buttons~~use your imagation~~ at the ends. ;o)

• phish_gw
    12 years ago

or a lighted cabinet. I bought a clear corner shelf online and have my bottle collection displayed at the top of my bathroom corner. It looks great and I get lots of compliments.

• sue_b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the ideas on how to display. Your thoughts made me value them more so we have them on a side cabinet in the living room where we can see them every day. Even hung the old keys from our first home built in 1945 from the neck of one of them. I love Gardenweb/THS!

• posieh
    12 years ago

Oh, my! Those bottles are great and probably do have some value. Especially since the labels are intact. I'd put them in a china cabinet or somewhere they will be protected. Any site out of the sun or weather.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County