Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paintgirl2008

Gifts for Seniors

paintgirl2008
15 years ago

I am looking for suggestions for gifts that I can take to nursing homes at Christmas. It would have to be small and easy to make,our church visits several and I always try to take them something at Christmas(handmade), but I seem to have run out of ideas.I was wracking my brain trying to think of something, and then I thought of this forum and all the wonderful, talented crafters on here! Any help would be appreciated by me (and the Seniors).Thanks and blessings on all!!

Comments (10)

• minnie_tx
    15 years ago

a small box of assorted greeting cards and one or two books of stamps and a nice pen. My DS's MIL wants Stamps for Christmas!!

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Have you made little 1/8 in ribbon crosses? They are on plastic canvas base. they are simple to cut out just 1 row of holes,I think, I would have to get 1 & can't go in there tonight had migraine most of day & don't want to start it up again. They are cute little bookmark & easy & cheap to make, use all colors of 1/8 in. ribbon. They have been around for several yrs so may have already used them. I would have to take pic. also as I don't think I
    ever have.I have digital camera so that's no problem. Jan

• blizlady
    15 years ago

I like minnie tx's idea of greeting cards and stamps. When my mom was at a nursing home for rehab this spring, they had a person come in to help them make crafts. One of them were simple greeting cards that they stamped (Stampin'Up). My mom was so proud of the card she made for me for Mother's Day! You could actually make simple greeting cards yourself with stamping products from JoAnn's or Michael's and the envelopes can also be purchased. Make a couple of birthday cards and thank you cards, tie the set of cards and envies together with a pretty ribbon, and that would be a nice gift.

• Adella Bedella
    15 years ago

We gave gifts to some nursing home residents last year and will do so again this year. Our craft was the container we designed to hold the gift. We decorated cans, but you could decorate brown bags in some sort of Christmas theme or glue old cards or add stickers and curly ribbon. We added a few pieces of candy and something small like individual Kleenix, hand lotion, lip balm, fingernail clippers, or a pen and a small pad of paper. The director at the nursing home told us that every day items that the rest of take for granted usually make the best gifts.

I'm attaching a link to a reindeer gift bag. I'd probably draw simple antlers instead of handprints, but you get the idea.

Here is a link that might be useful: Reindeer Gift Bag

• paintgirl2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions-all of them will work. I have some disabled people who are homebound, they would really love the cards and stamps.And if Jan would post a pic of the crosses I will try them. I have about 50 or 60 people that I am trying to make for this year!!And the decorated bags will be good too for some of them.Lots of good ideas. I have been trying to do everything by hand-they love it, and they love the attention even more!And I love all of them! I must get busy. Blessings on all.

• minnie_tx
    15 years ago

Just a note: if you are giving in the USA try to get the Forever Postage Stamps. Then they will never need additional postage if the rates go up again.
    Also if you have a Michael's Craft store around they have a very nice $1 section where you can find lots of interesting things for putting in gift bags. They have some wonderful little notebooks that come with a pen and even a few games.

• kudzukween
    15 years ago

I found this link......large-type books seem like a great idea, so do jigsaw puzzles, especially since they can be traded among residents when they're finished with them. And those inexpensive fleece blankets, about $4 for a package of 2 blankets. But I'm sorry, I don't have any other ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: list of considerate gifts

• barb_from_pa
    15 years ago

Don't know if these are the right thing or not.

Here is a link that might be useful: plastic canvas cross

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Barb from Pa! Thanks that is the little crosses ! Glad you have it as I couldn't even find what I did with the 1 I had. I did find that but didn't know how to get it on here. I was going to ask my GF to bring her's so I could take a pic. Thanks so much. My sis-in-law made about 100 of them for the church group they work with couple of yrs ago. The folks loved them. I leave about 8 in of ribbon at top & put knot in it near the end that way they can put that part in the book & leave cross out if they are worried about damaging the pages. Most people put the cross in the book, either way is OK. We used all colors & be sure to have some purple & lavender ones. They always love those colors in nursing homes. Jan

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Here is the 1 I really liked last night as they decorated it a little & you can see the ribbon at top!! http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ranch/5857/bookmarks.html They have a little rose or applique on them. The pattern is easier to follow so you don't have to waste so much plastic canvas. Anyway between the 2 sites it should be a breeze! Good Luck!! The folks at nursing home will be pleased no matter what you do. They love the attention!! Jan

Sponsored
Elegant Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
VA & DC's Finest General Contractor