Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
huggybear_2008

snowman made from glass blocks

huggybear_2008
15 years ago

On Craigslist today a person had made some about 4foot tall glass block snowmen.. they are cute as heck.. I copied the photos to my computer just not sure if I can post them in my photobucket to post ..but if you want to look at them.. you could go on craigslist for Cincinnati, Ohio and go into Arts and Crafts and you could look at the photos.. they are asking $45.00 each.. they are cute, but I am sure you smart folks could make your own.. just thought I would give you this tidbit.. they also light up and you put them in your front yard.. cute..LOL

Huggy

Comments (18)

• ann_in_florida
    15 years ago

Thanks so much for sharing this cute idea. I think I have some glass blocks at home...just waiting to become a snowman. This is so very cute. I'm in Florida and finding the scarf and hat may be the hardest part of this project!!!

• huggybear_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ann in florida, were you able to see them on Craigslist? I thought they were so cute.. you could just make the hat out of felt or fleece.. .. looks like the eyes and mouth were made from buttons.. looks like they used different size glass blocks too. Ann if you make one please post a pic for us to see.
    Huggy

• ivamae
    15 years ago

Well, I tried. I'll r again. I'mnot familiar with the new Photo Bucket

Here is a link that might be useful:

• huggybear_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ivamae,I could not pull up any photos from your links..sorry.. but there were three glass blocks stacked on top of each other two bottom ones were larger then the top one which was the head.. they had placed a hat on the top one and a scarf around his neck, added eyes, nose and mouth and there were lights inside the glass blocks.. they were about 4 feet tall, cute as the dickins.. and do not look like they would be hard to make.. and would be good craft show sellers.. not sure what glass blocks cost and what the cost to make them would be.. but I think this person was asking $45.00 each.. Sure are cute..
    Huggy

• pattico_gw
    15 years ago

Is this the picture you wanted?

{{gwi:1484339}}

patti

• edufrin
    15 years ago

I've thought about making these for the last couple of years. A neighbor of mine has one and it looks so cute! The hang-up for me is figuring out how to cut the holes in the bottom of the blocks to squeeze the lights through from one block to the next. The blocks are very sturdy and are surrounded with cement-like stuff which seems very hard to cut through. Does anyone have ideas for how to cut through it? I'm really bad with hand tools, maybe if you figure out how to do it I can explain it to my husband so he can cut it for me! ;)

• huggybear_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think you can drill a hole in the glass block and some of the glass blocks are not really glass but a hard plastic type material.. you could check with Lowes or Home Depot and they could tell you how to do it.. also, you could put some white sand in the bottom one so it would be more stable and not fall over.. I just thought they were really cute and would look nice at Christmas time in your front yard.. Thanks Pattie, for posting photo, not sure why I could not post it..
    Huggy

• the-light-lady
    15 years ago

I make the glass block lights and sell them at craft shows in Michigan. I make stacked, triple, double and single snowmen, Rudolph's, Santa's, Personalized Memory Lights, and I make several with wildlife pictures on them. I paid $60, 3 years ago for my diamond drill bit and a drill press is necessary! Otherwise you will break allot of glass blocks.

• skyrider
    15 years ago

the-light-lady, do you have pics of your lights? (especially the memory ones?) tfs!

• the-light-lady
    15 years ago

Yes, I have pictures of all the lights that I make. The 'personalized memory lights' are people's favorite picture memories, past or present. Most of them are favorite memories of family pictures, grandchildren, grandparents, best friends, favorite pet, wedding day, anniversaries, birthdays, baby announcements, graduations, any occasion!! Some have them made from old black & white photos too!
    In the spring time I am going to start taking sepia or vintage photos of people on our old wagon, then use that picture and make them a 'Memory Light'.
    Where do you live? Maybe we could exchange e-mail addresses?? I really don't want to post them on here.
    And I don't know how to post a picture on here either. Maybe you can help me with that.
    Here is my e address...
    iluv2craft@sbcglobal.net
    the-light-lady

• craftymom_2008
    15 years ago

I am trying to make these for christmas gifts for my family, instead of snowmen I wanted to put my kids picture on them. I ordered the window decal paper to print on, I can't see the kids faces only their clothes and an outline. Does anyone have any suggestions. I had all of the holes drilled for me for a $1 a hole (good deal I thought) Finaly found 35 clear mini lights on white wire with one end, this is my last opsticle..... Please help

• leveta
    15 years ago

Hey Huggss seen me an e-mail. I lost my addresses...Thanks..

• melvalena
    15 years ago

craftymom,

Where did you go to get the holes drilled for you? A glass or mirror shop? I have no clue to start looking for someone who can do this.

• huggybear_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

you might try Lowes, or Home Depot if you buy the blocks there.. also I saw another version of the snowmen, they had the colored lights inside them and had arms added to them the arms look like maybe made out of that solf plastic sheets you use to make flowers and you can glue to each other.. you know what I mean..LOl but the ones with the arms and the scarfs and hats were cute too. the lights were the new really bright colored ones. I think this maybe one of my crafts for next year..

• craftymom_2008
    15 years ago

melvalena,
    I looked in the phone book and called aound to all the glass repair shops, some did not want to do it because of the gas that is in the glass but the guy who I found said he could do it as long as he is not liable if the block breaks, no problem. He did 12 blocks and non of them broke. I thought $12 is cheaper than my husbands frustration and the drill bit. Just keep checking around some may say no but keep trying. Good luck

• melvalena
    15 years ago

Thank you Crafty Mom!! When I'm ready to do this, I'll call around and get those holes drilled for me. I don't want to try to do it myself.

• obxcrafter
    15 years ago

Hey Light Lady, would you be willing to e-mail me some pictures of your work? I'd love to see the memory blocks! I missed the boat for christmas gifts this year but I'm thinking I can get some practice in and a head start for next year. Thanks! e-mail is tina_craddock@hotmail.com

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County