Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toomanysquirrels

My craft show this past weekend

toomanysquirrels
12 years ago

Craft show was in MD. I have sold at this show for 6 years.

My sales were very good. What I noticed walking around: way too much jewelry, fewer vendors than usual, too many items not

hand made being passed off as handmade and crafters that don't seem to have any pride in their displays. I am not an "in your face" crafter. I will speak to you then let you take the conversation from there. I have all of my tables covered to the floor on all 4 sides. I dress comfortably, but not over dressed. I believe that I did well because my prices are lower than most. Lots of $1.00 items and most expensive is $15.00. I find people are buying things under $5 more than anything else. It cost $5 to get into this show and we were very busy. Nice crowd most of the day.

Comments (9)

• grandma_bonnie
    12 years ago

Thanks for the report! I understand about vendors adding a spot of paint and then claiming they made them... Sad, huh??? Glad you did well. I love being with people and take pride in my appearance and my tables - Presentation means everything and will make or break you... Love my table cloths going to the floor - nice to hide all the necessities... I also use a high stool to sit on - easy to get up when a potential customer comes up...

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

Glad to hear it went well & you enjoyed it! I always had my tables covered with plain colored cloths to the floor so I could store my stuff underneath & put empty boxes around the front area of table (underneath the cloth so if people tried to take something all they found under the cloth was empty boxes!)Always brought a lunch that didn't smell! I hate walking by booth or table & smells like Mexican, Italian, etc or tuna sandwich-I like those foods just not while I am shopping. Cheese sandwich was what I took. Only been to 1 sale this year & they didn't have much, it was a church that used to have great stuff & lots of handmades but mostly jewelry & used items & not cookies & breads like before! What kind of items did you make that were under $5? I need ideas for little things to give folks & DD & grandkids. Jan

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

I've been trying to think of things that I could make to sell for under $5 but that would "go with" my plate flowers. I want to stick to a theme, and I guess its flowers and recycling.

I think my little painted plates would be very cute hung on the tree, but I think are worth more to me as plate flower centers. I might make some flower brooches.

Kathy

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Congratulations Toomanysquirrels on your successful show!
    Kathy

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

Bracelets came up that I made some time ago, they are easy & fast & cheap as you use recycled buttons. They would look pretty with your flower plates. Could make earrings to match! Just make sure you have a good lamp for light & get those ends closed so they won't lose the bracelets or earrings if you make them. Jan

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

I was just admiring those bracelets recently, with the flower buttons. I'm really not a jewelry maker (I may be the only person on the planet, lol). When I have tried they fall apart. Just not good with the needle nose pliers I guess. I may make flower brooches with a button in the middle.
    Kathy

• toomanysquirrels
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I sell mostly painted wood products. I cut the things out on my scroll saw and then paint them. My big sellers are ornaments and pins. Both under $5. I don't make much of an hourly salary, but i am able to get most of my wood free and I buy paints when they are on sale. I have added felt flower pins this year. They are easy to make and cost is very low.
    Red flowers are the most popular.

• oldcrafty
    12 years ago

Glad to hear you had a good show. Been yeeeeeeeears since I did a show. Now I am just a shopper, and on a budget. The shows I do attend seem to be all high dollar, I like it when I find handmade and reasonable. Handmade is getting the hardest to find! I just wonder what all the folks with soooo much big bulky jewelry, that's fast going out of style, is gonna do with all there inventory! I always appreciate it when I find something for little ones at a good price also.

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Thanks for the hint about the red brooches. I'll have to look for more red fabric in my stash.
    Kathy

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm