Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midwestgrandma_gw

need some help, please

midwestgrandma
12 years ago

Would any of you handy crafters know how I would 'seal' a clipart image printed off my laser jet printer? I have a clipart image that I printed off, but when I apply glue to it (for a marble magnet) the color 'bleeds'. I'm thinking maybe there is a spray sealer or something else that I could apply to the paper, then the glue and it would not 'bleed'. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Happy crafting and have a blessed Thanksgiving!

Comments (8)

• posieh
    12 years ago

Sorry I can't help you. I'm also looking for a sealer that I can use on a scrap book cover. It is a soft cardboard cover and wants to soil easily. Maybe someone can help us both. This site isn't too active just now.

• Adella Bedella
    12 years ago

I've had some luck with just spraying store brand clear spray paint that I bought at Wal-Mart. You have to do it in several light coats so it doesn't bleed. I also made marble magnets out of mine. It does yellow some over time.

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

I used to decoupage and I liked to run off images of the right size on my home ink jet printer. I can tell you the absolute best spray urethane for sealing is Krylon crystal clear. I would run off a sheet of images and then spray the whole sheet before cutting, or several sheets at once. I would go back and forth and up and down. Works great and doesn't yellow over time.
    Smells bad so use carefully where there is access to fresh air.
    Kathy

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

Kathy, And away from any gas pilot lights like in kitchen or furnace as you can blow your house up! Weldbond is glue we used on the large 1/2 marble fridge magnets, they haven't discolored but we used mostly magazine or greeting card pics. Jan

• sameboat
    12 years ago

I would laminate it. You can purchase a laminating machine. Or you could purchase laminating sheets which are self-stick, or just go to Staples or other office supply store that has a copy center in it...

• justgotabme
    12 years ago

Have you tried spray adhesive? It's not as wet as decoupage glue is.

• luvs2click
    12 years ago

I make the marble magnets also - I apply modge podge to the back of the marble and then attach the image. As long as the image doesn't slide around while your attaching it it does not smear. I use a paper towel to wipe down the edges so it has a good seal and let it dry. Have made many hundreds this way over the years. Hope that helps.
    Arlene

• maybee_gw
    12 years ago

I do this all the time. I use a spray fixative (that's what it's called) that I bought at Wal-Mart...just a light coat at first. You don't want to spray heavily because that, too, will make your ink run. After that has dried, I spray again...I then use Modge Podge for my craft projects.

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County