Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnas_gw

snowman to hang on door question

donnas_gw
11 years ago

I have a pattern for a snowman that can be hung on the entrance door. For the face it calls for plush or shaggy felt. I do not have either, but I do have Pellon Thermolam Plus (an entire bolt!!) Would this Thermolam Plus be too thin to use? Is there any other kind of fabric that would be suitable? Thanks.

Donna

Comments (15)

• donnas_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The Thermolam Plus is 100% polyester.

• sameboat
    11 years ago

I don't know what that is, but could you double it up?

• concretenprimroses
    11 years ago

Do you have an old article of clothing that is fleecy or plush? Maybe the inside of an old sweatashirt? (If its white). How about a white towel or facecloth?
    Kathy

• donnas_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have had this Thermolam Plus for a long time. I used a piece of it when I made a table runner years ago. I just went to Walmart and got something that looks like white felt, but it's a litle heavier and stiffer than felt, and I think that will work. Now, I have to figure out what to use for the carrot nose...maybe just use an orange button, or cut one out using a piece of orange foam? There's no way I'm going to find a wooden carrot which the pattern calls for.

• donnas_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

concretenprimroses, I would have never thought of using a white towel. I know I don't have any sweatshirts that I could use. Thanks for the idea!!!

• donnas_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The fabric that I bought just might be white felt LOL. I think it's going to work anyway.

• concretenprimroses
    11 years ago

This sounds like such a cute projeect. I hope you post a pic when you are done.
    For the carrot, I don't know how big this snowman is, but could you take the top of a bic pen or a sharpie and paint it orange? Just trying to think of carrot (or cone) shaped things in different sizes that you may have laying around the house: the plastic things that hold water for a single flower? Or if you have a friend who uses sculpy or fimo, they could probably make a carrot for you.
    On the other hand a foam one will probably look just fine!
    Have fun.
    Kathy

• donnas_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is my snowman without a nose:

{{gwi:1483913}}

With craft foam nose:

{{gwi:1483914}}

With button nose:

{{gwi:1483915}}

• donnas_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

His face measures app. 9 1/2" wide X 8 1/2" long. The hat is too big, I think. I have another face already made and I think I'm going to make the hat shorter on that one. The pattern only called for 8 oz. of polyfill....took more than that!! It is a Simplicity pattern.

• donnas_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Not sure about the button nose...just thought I would put it there and see how it looked.

• concretenprimroses
    11 years ago

Very cute! I like the carrot shaped nose the best. I also like the big hat. It makes it more modern and unique somehow.
    Kathy

• donnas_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

concretenprimroses, this is actually my second snowman that I have made. After this one, I made a 3rd snowman but I made the hat shorter. Michaels used to carry 3" resin carrots but they no longer do. That is what I used for the nose on the very first one I made. Haven't checked Hobby Lobby yet. It's about an hour from here and I was really hoping to make a few and sell them. I wonder how long the foam carrot noses would last hanging outside? On another note, I wish the people at GW would get rid of this "click here" button!!! I have clicked it several times thinking I'm clicking the "preview message." button.

• donnas_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

After looking at the button nose, I think it makes the poor snowman look more like a dog LOL.

• CatLover485
    11 years ago

Have you checked in the floral section at Michaels, Hobby Lobby, or Wal Mart? Many times they carry artificial fruits and vegetables, and they may have a carrot that you could use. I think the hat is great, just be sure that the carrot is large enough to balance with the face. Also, you could cut a nose-shaped wedge pattern from sturdy cardboard and tightly wrap orange chenille stems around it until you get the length and shape you want. Slide out the cardboard and sew or glue the carrot to the face. This will add dimension and also let you shape the nose the way you want it. Hope this has helped you.

• donnas_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, I did check Michaels and Walmart. Michaels carried resin carrots (about 3" long) awhile back, but they no longer do. All I can find now are regular sized resin carrots. Haven't been to Hobby Lobby yet. Here are 2 that I have made so far. I am not as good as doing crafts as most of you are..lol. Not that good with my digital camer either.

{{gwi:1483916}}

{{gwi:1483918}}

Sponsored
Stanford Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Luxury Interior Design Services | Northern Virginia