Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
snowman to hang on door question

Posted by donnas (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 17, 12 at 10:37

I have a pattern for a snowman that can be hung on the entrance door. For the face it calls for plush or shaggy felt. I do not have either, but I do have Pellon Thermolam Plus (an entire bolt!!) Would this Thermolam Plus be too thin to use? Is there any other kind of fabric that would be suitable? Thanks.

Donna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: snowman to hang on door question

The Thermolam Plus is 100% polyester.

o

I don't know what that is, but could you double it up?

o

Do you have an old article of clothing that is fleecy or plush? Maybe the inside of an old sweatashirt? (If its white). How about a white towel or facecloth?
Kathy

o

I have had this Thermolam Plus for a long time. I used a piece of it when I made a table runner years ago. I just went to Walmart and got something that looks like white felt, but it's a litle heavier and stiffer than felt, and I think that will work. Now, I have to figure out what to use for the carrot nose...maybe just use an orange button, or cut one out using a piece of orange foam? There's no way I'm going to find a wooden carrot which the pattern calls for.

o

concretenprimroses, I would have never thought of using a white towel. I know I don't have any sweatshirts that I could use. Thanks for the idea!!!

o

The fabric that I bought just might be white felt LOL. I think it's going to work anyway.

o

This sounds like such a cute projeect. I hope you post a pic when you are done.
For the carrot, I don't know how big this snowman is, but could you take the top of a bic pen or a sharpie and paint it orange? Just trying to think of carrot (or cone) shaped things in different sizes that you may have laying around the house: the plastic things that hold water for a single flower? Or if you have a friend who uses sculpy or fimo, they could probably make a carrot for you.
On the other hand a foam one will probably look just fine!
Have fun.
Kathy

o

Here is my snowman without a nose:

Photobucket

With craft foam nose:

Photobucket

With button nose:

Photobucket

o

His face measures app. 9 1/2" wide X 8 1/2" long. The hat is too big, I think. I have another face already made and I think I'm going to make the hat shorter on that one. The pattern only called for 8 oz. of polyfill....took more than that!! It is a Simplicity pattern.

o

Not sure about the button nose...just thought I would put it there and see how it looked.

o

Very cute! I like the carrot shaped nose the best. I also like the big hat. It makes it more modern and unique somehow.
Kathy

o

concretenprimroses, this is actually my second snowman that I have made. After this one, I made a 3rd snowman but I made the hat shorter. Michaels used to carry 3" resin carrots but they no longer do. That is what I used for the nose on the very first one I made. Haven't checked Hobby Lobby yet. It's about an hour from here and I was really hoping to make a few and sell them. I wonder how long the foam carrot noses would last hanging outside? On another note, I wish the people at GW would get rid of this "click here" button!!! I have clicked it several times thinking I'm clicking the "preview message." button.

o

After looking at the button nose, I think it makes the poor snowman look more like a dog LOL.

o

Have you checked in the floral section at Michaels, Hobby Lobby, or Wal Mart? Many times they carry artificial fruits and vegetables, and they may have a carrot that you could use. I think the hat is great, just be sure that the carrot is large enough to balance with the face. Also, you could cut a nose-shaped wedge pattern from sturdy cardboard and tightly wrap orange chenille stems around it until you get the length and shape you want. Slide out the cardboard and sew or glue the carrot to the face. This will add dimension and also let you shape the nose the way you want it. Hope this has helped you.

o

Yes, I did check Michaels and Walmart. Michaels carried resin carrots (about 3" long) awhile back, but they no longer do. All I can find now are regular sized resin carrots. Haven't been to Hobby Lobby yet. Here are 2 that I have made so far. I am not as good as doing crafts as most of you are..lol. Not that good with my digital camer either.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here