oddie
17 years ago

was posted on another forum, so pretty! check them out

http://www.save-on-crafts.com/icedbranches.html

oddie

Comments (17)

• gw:craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

I've seen that site - the iced branches are really nice. They have some great other projects too.

Sal

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Nice site Oddie, thanks for sharing. I had no idea you could buy the crystals to make those. Guess I need to shop more! Ha ha Luvs

• gw:craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

Luvs, at Michael's they have a jar of stuff called "Diamond Dust." It's in the decorative paint aisle. I have a jar of it, it was $8.99 or $9.99 so I used my 40% off coupon when I bought it. It will last a very long time. For the branches, I'd use spray-on adhesive then just sprinkle the "ice" or "dust" on them.

Sal

• toomuchglass
    17 years ago

Those are gorgeous ! Better than the "ice" I used to do on German Statice. (sp?) My stuff was gorgeous - but it fell off easily .

***Remembering --- I bought a bunch of German Statice (sp?) -it was all closed up. I soaked it in a a mixture of Borax & Water overnight & in the morning the bunch had opened and looked like it had been in a frost overnight. It was beautiful . I never tried to figure out how to make the crystals stay put - maybe hairspray ? It was awesome anyway ... a great bathtub project !

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Crafty, Is the diamond dust like an icy looking glitter? Can you use it on ornaments and things? I think I might have looked at it one time when I was looking at glitter. That would be pretty on some branches, but much finer than the ones on the site Oddie listed, right? Hmmm, wonder how the diamond dust would look on a wooden painted snowman? Would that be something I should try? Luvs

• oddie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Luvstocraft, in case crafty does'nt get back to you soon ,I think diamond dust looks just like you said only thing I could add is its larger in size, kinda like salt, I think it would do well on a wooden painted snowman, and so many other things, I havent made these yet want to soon, I think I will lighty spray dogwood branches with silver spray paint use the spray adhesvie, diamond dust and I have some fake snow thats real fine, bet it will be a mess!
    oddie

• craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

Luvs - yes the Diamond Dust is finer than the ice used on the branches, sort of like "salt." And yes, you can use it on ornaments - Sprinkle it on while the paint is still wet. I think it would look great on a wooden painted snowman. Here are some pics - I left the second pic of it in the jar dark so you could see it a little better. I sprinkle some on the back of a black wooden decorative plate, hope you can see it ok.

Sal

{{gwi:1483682}}

{{gwi:1483683}}

{{gwi:1483684}}

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Sal, what a sweetheart you are to post a pic of it for me! Oddie, thanks for your help too. I have to go to Michaels and get me some of this--it looks beautiful! I'd love to do a snowman with it on it!

Oddie, I come here all the time and just love your creations. If you are going to be painting things--do you know about the Decorative and Tole painting forum? We'd love to have you come take a look at our gallery and start posting with us over there too.

Thanks again ladies. Luvs

• craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

Your Welcome Luvs,

Sal

• oddie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Luvs thanks , I do read the other fourms, but I am not a painter, just a crafter and a make do, I started posting here because this forum covered all my crafting, I have been a looker for over ten years here, I check out a couple other froums but seems like alot of arguments, kinda takes the joy out of reading there post, I have never seem that here.
    thanks oddie

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Oddie, I agree, want to come here and have an enjoyable time admiring and complimenting everyone's creative ideas. Don't need competition or oneupmanship--just sharing and helping each other to satisfy our creative "urges". Love being able to turn inexpensive items into something special and then use it to bring a smile to someone's face. You certainly do that. We are so fortunate to have such creative, kind, helpful people on these forums. Checking them out is a highlight of my day. Luvs

• oddie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Luvs me to if the coumputer is down ruins my day
    oddie

• grannyicu
    17 years ago

I wonder what they would look like on my Christmas grapevine angels I am making? And wonder if the small beads would work if you dont have the ice cystals? Going to make a Christmas angel and just thought about the ice crystals. Wonder if the small seed beads would work?? Like to do the Halo? Hum!

• tammy_crafter
    17 years ago

Girls - if you want another idea for making snow/ice - i use styrofoam balls and grate them with a grater- just watch your fingers - a couple of styrofoam balls goes a long way.
    tammy-crafter

• junebride25
    13 years ago

I made these branches with vase filler and diamond dust for my wedding, But too much of the glitter and filler is falling off. Do any of you have any ideas of something I could spray the branches with to keep the stuff from falling off?

• Adella Bedella
    13 years ago

You might try going to Wal-Mart in the spray paint section and getting a can of clear spray paint to spray on it to hold it all together. Test it on one branch to see if that works.

• williamsburgjane
    13 years ago

Thanks so much gals! I have a jar of Diamond dust (just got to find it in my craft room!). I have some wooden snowman heads I am going to do for next year and the diamond dust should look great on them. :o)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!