Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
handprints on tablecloth

Posted by dian57 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 6, 10 at 8:37

You know those painted handprints-turned-turkeys we all did in elementary school for Mom's fridge?

I want to do the same thing but have my grandkid's do it on a linen tablecloth that I can use (and add turkeys as they grow) each year.

Any idea on what kind of paint to use? Any experience, techniques to share?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: handprints on tablecloth

Wow. What a fantastic idea!!! My sister has done lots of things like that in the past... I have a tee-shirt with all of my niece's handprints all over it. I love that shirt and it's held the color perfectly through many washings! I will ask my sister exactly what you should use. :)

o

That would be a great help, party music.
Thanks so much. It's good to hear the colors have held up. I planned on protecting it with plastic, but maybe I won't have to.

o

Hi -- My sister said:

"All the small paints in the paint section at like Michaels or Hobby Lobby--- "Apple barrel" "folks" I cant remember all the other brand names."

Hopefully you can find what she's talking about! :)

o

I have painted on shirts with those paints. I knew the brand name of the one I used, until I started typing! Anyway, they are all in the same place. They are acrylic paints. Most of them will have different "mediums" that can be used with them. Get the color of paint you want, and a a bottle of fabric medium and follow the directions for mixing the two. When the paint is completely dry, heat set the paint on the table cloth by putting it in the dryer on high heat for about 20 minutes, or use a hot dry iron on each hand print, covering the print with a thin cloth to protect the iron. Also use a cloth under the table cloth to protect the ironing board.

I love the idea! That will become a family heirloom!

Happy Thanksgiving.
Tami

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here