Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
reMaking window shades, experience anyone?

Posted by concretenprimroses (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 4, 09 at 8:02

I have some battered plastic roll up window shades, and I was thinking of replacing with "oil cloth" (the plastic kind from Mexico) and keeping the same roll mechanisms. Has anyone got any tips for me? Seems like I could just make the new shade and use a staple gun to attach it to the roller.
Unfortunately here in NE our oil cloth selection isn't very large, but I don't want to try fabric cuz that bedroom tends to get some mildew on the windows so plastic is the way to go.
tia
kathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: reMaking window shades, experience anyone?

Seems to me you could use a heavy shower curtain. You could also have the inside in cloth glued on to the plastic.

I'd like to address your mold issue. Does heat get up to your window? We have new double paned argon filled windows. They are very well sealed. In our bedroom we have blinds and curtains. The curtains remained open and the blind remained down. The first year I noticed mold on the bottom of the window when I lifted the blind. Since it couldn't be the window it had to be that there was no air circulation. I lifted the blind so an inch or so, so that the warm air could reach the window, and no more mold.

No matter how good your windows are they will be cool on the inside. If there is any moisture there it will form mold. The warm air dries the moisture.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here