Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gram_nh

Candy Cane Candle holder?

gram_NH
17 years ago

Has anyone done the tapered candles with the candy canes hot glued, upside down around them? I have done them for the past few years but can't seem to find any on the web anywhere. The site below uses the pillar candle but I use the tall taper ones. I am trying to explain it to one of my webpals. It is the quickest and easiest gift for teachers, neighbors, work buddies. Cheap and easy...but oh so beautiful! If anyone has a site or a pic of one...it would be much appreciated!

Here is a link that might be useful: CC Candle holder

Comments (9)

• oddie
    17 years ago

I have seen the tappered candles at big lots if you have them in your area, dont shop much on the web but you could try where wedding supplies are sold, have never made them but they sound cute.
    oddie

• gram_NH
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Oddie, I guess it I didn't have enough coffee when I posted!

I am really looking for a picture of a finished one. I have lots of candles...yup..Big Lots! Also, the Dollar Tree stores have them.

I don't have a way to take a pic, and my friend is like me....a visual learner! So, I was hoping that someone here had a pic to share.

• les917
    17 years ago

Couldn't find any pix, but found these step-by-step instructions - maybe that would make it clearer to your webpal?

Candle Holders

Materials
    One l2 inch red taper candle
    8 regular size candy canes (leave wrappers on) - all same size
    hot glue gun
    Ribbon of your choice- about l-l/2" wide (long enough to tie around candle holder and to make a bow)

Procedure
    Remove plastic wrap from candle
    Position a candy cane on one side of candle (leave plastic on candy cane) and y hot glue the long portion of the candy cane to the candle with the curve of the candy cane facing outwards on the bottom of the candle- leave about an inch extending below the bottom of the candle. These handles will form the base of the holder.

Glue another candy cane on the opposite side of the first one.

To help position the rest of the candy canes, rest the holder on a paper plate and position the 3rd and 4th as if the lst and 2nd ones were north and south on the candle, make 3 and 4 on the east and west. Hot glue these on one at a time.

Fill in the 4 remaining spaces with the 4 remaining candy canes (they will be pretty much touching each other).

Tie the ribbon around the whole thing, make a bow, and secure with a dab of hot glue.

• evelyn_craftdiva
    17 years ago

Is this the one?
    http://www.thriftyfun.com/images/articles9/candycaneholder.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful:

• gram_NH
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Les, thank you, those are the exact directions, except that I don't leave an inch at the bottom. I glue the canes even with the bottom of the candle. Then instead of tying a ribbon around it, I hot glue one of those little velvety red bows or some holly leaves on it.

Evelyn, Thanks so much for the pic. That's not the one. I like the pilar candle but it takes a lot of canes.
    I am going to make one tomorrow and send it to my friend. That will be a real visual!! heehee

It takes about ten min. to make these, and they are beautiful.

• oddie
    17 years ago

gram nh, I just reread your post, looks like I am the one who didnt have enough coffee! or else I didnt have my glasses on sorry! thanks for posting I have not seen these candle holders before, what a cute idea.
    oddie

• sweets98
    17 years ago

If you go to Dollar General, you can buy like a pack of 6 plastic candy canes for $1. They would last longer and would work just as well! :)

• gram_NH
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Found this post I did in 06!!!

Better late than never..heehee!

Here is a pic....whipped this one up today while DD was taking other pics!

Have I mentioned, I had a great day today!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

That is really cute! I had only seen the large ones like Evelyn posted. I will keep this idea in my to do file. TFS

Luvs