Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bright199

Angel ornaments any ideas

Bright199
16 years ago

Hey everyone, I have been lurking here for a while.. love all your creations. Generally hang out at the stained glass and garden junk forums.

My question is does anyone have directions and pictures for some angels for my CHRISTmas tree?? I decorate in traditional red, green, and gold. I have decided all my decorating will focus on the Christ in Christmas.. nativities and angels and such. But am limited on funds this year. So any help from you all would be great. YOu are such a creative group of people.

Thanks in advance

Brenda

Comments (20)

• Adella Bedella
    16 years ago

Here's an old post for angels made from neck ties.

Here is a link that might be useful: Angel

• sjarz
    16 years ago

I googled "how to make an angel" and the computer came back with 45,600,000 hits on that subject...LOL! If you do the same I'm sure you'll find some inspiration and a lot of projects to keep you busy for quite some time.
    Angels can truly be made from any material, and many projects use recycled materials or everyday objects found around the house like toilet paper tubes and coffee filters.
    Have fun!
    Suzan J

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Brenda, another recent post on here by Oddie shows her icesickle angels--really darling! I think it is titled "A couple more things" or something like that.

You should be able to use lots of leftover bits of ribbon, lace, flowers, and fabric to put some together. Another easy body is to make a cone shape out of cardboard and then put a wood ball on top for the head. They can look really pretty with lace and ribbons glued on. You can wrap yarn or heavy thread into loops and hot glue on for the hair. Just let your imagination soar!

I think it is great that you are trying to decorate in a way that will focus on the REAL meaning of Christmas. Hope you will post pics for us when you get it all done.

Luvs

• thrift_shop_romantic
    16 years ago

All I can think of to help are those old magazine choirboys or angels that we all used to do.

I hope you'll post pics of your house once decorated!

-Jenn

• User
    16 years ago

This site has a page to print out for the angel's face, body etc. Pretty cool, especially if you have a colour printer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Victorian angel ornaments

• minnie_tx
    16 years ago

Carmelita2468 (My Page) on Sun, Nov 6, 05 at 19:55 posted this way back then. They are similar to little ones I used to make
    It is still in the gallery but you can click on the link

Here is a link that might be useful:

• girlsingardens
    16 years ago

McPeg,

Those are really neat ornaments. I have lots of vintage balls and trim and will have to try and make some of these up. I also have lots of old hankies and those would make pretty skirts and dresses.

Stacie

• Posie
    16 years ago

Here is another site.
    www.craftycollege.com/web of angels

• girlsingardens
    16 years ago

McPeg,

Those are really neat ornaments. I have lots of vintage balls and trim and will have to try and make some of these up. I also have lots of old hankies and those would make pretty skirts and dresses.

Stacie

• gram_NH
    16 years ago

Hi Brenda, This idea isn't an angel but for over 20 yrs now, when decorating the tree with the kids and now the grand kids, our favorite ornament that goes right in the front at eye level, is our 'Happy Birthday Jesus' ornament. It is just a 3" wooden square of thin wood...available in the woodcut out section at all craftstores....painted red with a decorative ribbon glued around the edge. Then we glued on alphabet soup macaroni to spell out 'Happy Birthday Jesus'! So very simple, but a huge reminder to all of us each year exactly what Chritmas is really all about!

• Bright199
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all your wonderful ideas. Posie, I love the crochet angels..but would never get them done. Maybe the seashell ones or tassel. Lots to think about.Thanks abunch.

• carmelita1
    16 years ago

Here's an easy one for you. Looking for the instructions but can't seems to locate them at the moment. I hope to have put a picture here...hope it is not too large.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v737/retired1/PearlTwistAngels.jpg[/IMG]

• carmelita1
    16 years ago

Instructions for Pearl Twist Angel I posted about earlier.

Pearl Twist Angel Instructions

1. Thread pearls on wire and put a couple circle twists on end of wire and bend wire flat against the end pearl. Push pearls towards bottom of wire.

2. Wrap end of pearl strand around pinky finger and continue to twist in circles (such as sample). Leave enough of a space between pearls so that they twist easily and arenÂt buckling.

3. Leave the last 4 pearls straight and make 3 sets of figure eight wings (around an inch or less wide) on top of one another in layers. Try not to get too many kinks in the wire. Use your fingers to smooth wavy or kinky wire as you do this part.

4. When wings are complete, hold tightly and wrap around the middle of the wings once on each side of the middle wire to keep them anchored.

5. Put the large pearl (head) on and do two tight curly twists on the top to hold it in place.

6. Use the rest of the wire to make her halo, twist around bottom of the curly anchoring twists and snip off excess. When using your tools to twist the ends of the wires, be very careful with the tips as the finish on the pearls scratches easily.

8. Make hanger from gold thread (for ornaments) or gold crochet thread and tie at bottom of halo. You may bend halo forward if youÂd like. Spread wings out like a fan.

Supplies and counts for making Pearl Twist Angels

Small wire cutters and needle nose pliers (rounded) for cutting and twisting the wire ends.

30 inches - 20 gauge wire
    40 each - 5mm pearls
    1 each - 12mm pearl

32 inches - 20 gauge wire
    50 each - 6mm pearls
    1 each - 14mm pearl

41 inches - 20 gauge wire
    50 each - 8mm pearls
    1 each - 16mm pearl

• sheri
    16 years ago

I had two that I came up with this last year. The first is made from a glove, using using the four fingers for arms and legs. She's really fun because you can pose her however you want.
    The second is from a clothespin and tulle. Very light and pretty on the tree.

• carmelita1
    16 years ago

Too cute Sheri...thanks for posting the pictures.
    Happy Thanksgiving!

Carmen

• garden2garden
    16 years ago

Those are some great angel ideas. I'd never have thought to use a glove, that's a cute one.

One year I made bunches of angels for the tree out of clothes pins, using the white lacy paper doilies for dresses and wings. They can be embelished of course. I used a little sprig of holly and those little stick on gold stars, and like the one above, pipe cleaners are good for the arms if you want them to be holding something.

I'm pretty sure the doilies come in red, green and gold, too. The white looked nice with the mini lights behind them they kind of glowed at night. They were inexpensive and fun to make.

• oddie
    16 years ago

OMG some many angel craft!
    Sheri I so love the angel made from a glove, sooo very cute!
    Carmeilita, would love to see a photo of the angel you posted instructions for, when I try to go to it I get photobucket page, no angel, could you please post the photo here or tell me what I need to do to view it.
    Happy Crafting
    oddie

• carmelita1
    16 years ago

I am thinking maybe the Pearl Angel pic will be here now, if not, highlite this and paste in the address block.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v737/retired1/PearlTwistAngels.jpg

Carmelita
    ----------------------------------------------------
    {{gwi:1483480}}

• kudzukween
    16 years ago

I made some plain angels from a small square of ripped muslin. Take a cotton ball and put it near the center at the top,tie it off with string.(That's the head,lol) Then twist the sides and tie in a knot on each side(that makes each "arm" or "hand". I glued spanish moss on for hair. No facial features,but you could paint some on.Oh,and I cut a small fabric heart out and glue it to the "skirt". When I tie on the string,(I use crochet cotton) I leave enough to make a hanger. I'll try to find my Christmas decorations,and send a pic. Another I make from balsa wood,cut out with an xacto knife and painted,with a name painted on the bottom,blue for boys,pink for girls. Also glued spanish moss hair,painted faces,used a philips screwdriver to make "x"s in the wings. Will also post a pic of those,when I find the decorations. Each of these I found in old magazines years ago :)

• tkhooper
    12 years ago

Love your clothespin angel she is gorgeous.