Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
piscotty

Fabric Backed Clear Class Plates

piscotty
17 years ago

Hi,

I was exhibiting at a craft show this weekend (terrible turn-out and very few sales for me), and I saw these neat fabric backed clear class plates. I'm not sure if they are new craft or old one. I have not seen them in my area before. The people selling them told me it was a complicated 9 step process. They seemed to be painted on the back with a black paint that was quite hard. I tried looking up this process but only found decoupage, glue, etc. Not a 9 step process. Not sure if anyone here knows how to do this or even if there is a 9 step process. They also said you could wash them in the sink but not dishwasher.

Thanks, Ron

Comments (14)

• gw:craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

Ron, are you saying the fabric was first put on the back of the plate and then painted over with the black paint? It sounds really neat, I'm going to look for this also.

Sal

• gw:craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

I did a search by typing in "fabric backed glass backed plates" in the web browser line and this is a site on HGTV that had the instructions for the plates. Cool. Several web sites came up when I typed it in. Check it out.

Sal

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_painting_other/article/0,1789,HGTV_3284_1396019,00.html

• sweets98
    17 years ago

I know my Gram tried these a few years back. She said it wasn't as easy as it looked because it's tricky keeping all of the fabric from creasing in spots.

Maybe it was a nine step process because they added more than one coat of decoupage and then painted over all that to get a solid colored back to the plate? Maybe they were just trying to make it sound harder so that you wouldn't want to try it yourself?

Try some of the directions the others shared. You may get the look you want there.

• snolady
    17 years ago

I made some several years ago but didn't use any paint on them. You put a layer of the special glue first, then the fabric and then more glue. It gets really stiff. Only hand wash them or the fabric will let loose. I see no need for 9 steps to it.

• evelyn_craftdiva
    17 years ago

This craft has been around for years. I remember purchasing a
    tape with instructions many moons ago but never ended up
    trying to do it. I agree with snolady it doesn't look like it
    would take 9 steps to make one.

• minnie_tx
    17 years ago

Alene's TV Show featured them many years ago You use tacky glue and glue the material. Painting the back after came later.

• User
    17 years ago

The most difficult part of the process is trying to get rid of the air bubbles. Here's 9 steps I've come up with:

1. clean the plate
    2. choose fabric (these two steps can be reversed)
    3. cut fabric a little larger than size of plate
    4. make occasional slits in fabric from edge to flat part of plate to compensate for curves (anyone who sews know how to do this--clip curves)
    5. paint a thin coat of ModPodge on the back of the plate
    6. drape fabric over glue and press from center out, eliminating bubbles AMAP
    7. let dry
    8. trim edges close to glass
    9. apply coat of latex paint over back of fabric to prevent glue from dissolving when getting wet for cleaning.

There, did I make it complicated enough to intimidate you from horning in on that craft person's fabric plate empire?

• nonacook
    17 years ago

dian57, I just started that list on another forum,
    about the 9 steps. I didn't do the entire list just
    enough to start folks thinking. Anything you do,
    has simple things that can count as a 'step', and
    could make it sound complicated, when you say 9 steps. LOL

• llcooper_dcn_davis_ca_us
    16 years ago

As far as the class I took on the subject directed:
    -clean the back of the plate
    -coat the fabric circle (about 1/2 to 1 inch greater than the plate diameter) with Mod Podge (matt or glossy)
    -smooth over the back of the plate, no air bubbles
    -dry, razor off the edge excess fabric, sand the back with very fine sand paper (the foam type) and the edges with an emory board- edges need attention so they don't stick out (will cause a separation if the edge gets knocked)
    -spread another coat of Mod Podge, let dry, repeat sanding
    -spread a third coat of water-thinned Mod podge, let dry, repeat sanding
    -spray with a non-yellowing acrylic spray, then with another, similar product (the first is a craft spray, the second sold in paint stores with spray paint. I've been told the "porcelain spray" works better, doesn't end up so sticky, so I am going to try that.
    The back ends up with a hard, shiney coat that is said to be durable, hand washable. They are beautiful with Asian fabrics, but it is hard to find the glass platter "blanks" at times. Takes a bit of "elbow grease", and sometimes you end up with a bubble you can't fix. Black fabrics end up looking a bit grey, due to the "glue" layer, but sometimes that acutally looks pretty good. I have enjoyed making them, now want to experiment with other surfaces and the porcelain spray.

• atokadawn
    16 years ago

Dollar stores carry the blank glass plates all the time. So does Walmart.
    I have done this with Christmas and Halloween prints. Then made the matching napkins. Makes a pretty table.

If "I" can do it, anyone can.

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

I've always wanted to try this, but could never figure out how the fabric would follow the curve of the plate and not get wrinkles or folds in it. Is this not a problem? I guess I just need to give it a try, could really make some pretty plates to hang on the wall--even match the fabrics in the room. Luvs

• bamasue
    16 years ago

I made a gazillion of these yrs ago when they first hit the craft scene. I found it easiest to keep the fabric smooth by using more of a patchwork effect...gluing on small squares as opposed to one big fabric piece. The reason for using black paint was to hide any spaces the fabric might not have covered so that "air" was not visible from the front. These really are fun to do and make nice gifts. I'd like to see them resurge!

• SJC4126_COMCAST_NET
    13 years ago

IS THERE ANYONE WHO MAKES & SELLS THESE IN WESTERN PA ---I AM INTERESTED IN BUYING FOR CHRISTMAS PRESENTS. YEARS AGO I BOUGHT AT CRAFT SHOW IN PITTSBURGH AND WASHINGTON PA
    ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED AS I AM NOT A CRAFTY PERSON.... THANKS

• maybee_gw
    13 years ago

I've made many of these and they aren't difficult at all...my grandchildren even made them. Yes, you have to get all the air bubbles out, but that's not hard....we coated the back of ours with more Modge Podge and not black paint, but paint could be used...they were just blowing smoke telling you how difficult they are to make. Wal-Mart has the clear plates in several different sizes...

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES