Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will bake potato bags burn in the microwave?

Posted by cooper9191 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 18, 06 at 21:58

Will baked potato bags burn in the microwave? I use them and haven't had any problem but have heard that they will.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will bake potato bags burn in the microwave?

I've never heard of them. Are they something you make? Maybe you'll get an answer if you ask in the cooking forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cooking

o

Yep - if you cook them long enough. Anything can catch fire in the micro if you over do it.

o

I've used mine for over a year now with no trouble at all.

Just make sure you use the cotton filling, not poly.

What I used , is called (I think) Warm and Natural..??....

patti

o

No problem here - I've been selling them for almost a year too (over 200 now) with no reports of fires. I do have a disclaimer about cooking too long and washing the bag if it gets dirty - You also need to keep your microwave clean too - no food that will keep getting nuked 'till it catches on fire... I also use mine . I also use the 100% cotton Warm and Natural batting, but the thread and the fabric may have polyester in it. HTH

o

OK, I guess I've had my head buried in the sand for a while, since I hadnt' heard about these. Last year at this time, I was tied up with my DD's wedding, plus my computer bit the dust so I was without one for 5 months. Can you post a picture and instructions of one. Maybe I can do some for Christmas gifts. Thanks

o

I'm with you Frances--haven't heard of or seen baked potato bags. Not sure where I was or what I was doing that I missed them--would love to hear more and see a pic. Luvs

o

I made up my own pattern...they are just a bag big enough to fit up to four potatoes with a flap that folds down over the front.

I make a piece that is three times as long as I want it to be. Two layers of fabric facing each other...and a layer (or two) of the batting (warm and natural) Then sew the sides and bottom together and turn right sides out..The batting will be in the middle when turned right sides out.
Then sew the top seam shut.

Fold in threes, sew the two sides together and the flap folds over the front.

You can make a tie to hold the flap down, but I just fold mine over and lay it in the microwave flap side down.

You wash your potatoes , wrap them in a paper towel..DO NOT poke holes in potatoes. Put them inside potato bag and cook in microwave according to your microwave instructions.

They come out with the skins moist instead of all hard and lumpy..and the potatoe is flakier.

patti

o

I make my potato bags with a serger. Soooo much easier. I cut my fabric 10" wide the full width of the fabric from selvage to selvage (most gabric ids 44=45" wide) and the warm and natural I buy I cut 10" x 22" - I sandwich the batting between the fabric - right sides out and serge both short ends. I then fold then together leaving 2" at the top to fold into the bag when cooking in the microwave. I sew up both long sides - tah-dah.... That's it! You can also use them to heat up tortillas and someone mentioned votn on the cob, but I have not tried that. HTH BYW - I sell mine for $5 and have even told people to take one - but they have to comeback to pay for it if they like it - I've never been burnt! They come back to buy more - as gifts!

o

If you stick to all cotton fabric, batting, and thread, AND FOLLOW THE COOKING INSTRUCTIONS (any food will burn, literally, if you nuke it on high long enough, ask my children...), all will be well.

o

Boy - my spelling was awful in that message. I use my bag for corn on the cob now and love it! I take off the husk and the silk and nuke it for one minute on each side per ear of corn - It is great! I've raised my prices to $6 with all the price increases on my materials. I basically sell up to 100 a week as Christmas is getting close and they are buying for gifts. Yep - anything will burn if cooked long enough... or if something spills on the bag and it isn't washed. There is one other cause of burns on the bag - The older microwaves without turntables develop hot spots. You can find out where they are using the small marshmallows. Place them 1" apart on the bottom of your microwave and turn it on for 2 minutes - you'll see some exploded marshmallows. Some of the manufacturers are asking people to not use them any more as they can cause fires. These microwaves are up to 30 years old...

o

i searched all over.
go here...

http://www.thequiltingcupboard.com/Products/Kits/misc/misc.html

for pics, kits etc.
i have made alot, no problems.
everything has to be 100% cotton.
I use quilters dream cotton,, also from this website

Here is a link that might be useful: The Quilting Cupboard

o

Thanks for the directions. If any of you that make these would be so kind as to post a photo I would really appreciate it. I'm one of those visual learner people.
I've seen "tortilla warmers", are the potato bags similar? What difference does the potato bag make in cooking? I'm also one of those "why or how" people. Drove my parents up the wall when I was a kid.........and probably most of my teachers too come to think of it.

o

Don't poke holes in the potatoes? Really? Don't they burst?

Now I'm intrigued. We don't eat a lot of potatoes, but occasionally we'll have a couple. I might have to make myself one of these, thanks, Patti and Grandma Bonnie, for the instructions.

o

I have used my own potato bag for over six years and never had one burst! lol The cotton batting inside the fabric of the bag absorbs the moisture from the potato - making it dryer - much like a baked potato (from the oven) - the skin will be tender, but the inside is fluffy when you cut it with a knife and squeeze it... I also use it for cooking corn on the cob - you remove the husk and the silk and put into the bog - I can put five in it. You cook it for 1 minute on each side - 5 ears of corn five minutes - flip it 5 minutes more! It's done! I don't use butter or spices on my corn - it is delicious! pierce a kernal of corn, and it is juicy, but cooked and hot! Heck when I open the microwave, my glasses fog up from all the steam generated. I have sold probably sold 1000 this season for gifts... and never had a complaint of a burn. As a test, I placed a bag in the microwave empty in the oven for 10 minutes, flipped it and nuked it for 10 minutes more -NOTHING HAPPENED!!!

o

I've made a few of these potato bags for Christmas gifts. and found out that their catching on fire. I'm using all cotton fabric and thread and also using warm and natural batting. they all seem to catch on fire right at the seem line. Not really sure whats going on with mine. So any help you can give me i would appreciate. thanks a lot Kim

o

I made my bags from fabric quilted on both sides,(old place mats) cut to the size I want by folding them over, That way only have two sides to sew together. I serge them, serge around the top and put about a two inch piece of velco on the inside of the top of the bag that way part of the top of bag remains open and lets some air out. Never have had a problem and use mine for sweet potatoes also. Guess anything will catch on fire if the heat is too high or toolong.

o

Snowbunny - I answered you in your e-mail to me. I will repeat what I remember. Make sure their microwave has a turntable - the older ones develop hot spots and will burn/scorch. Make sure the microwave is clean and the bag is clean too. I have cooked an empty bag in the microwave for 40 minutes with nothing happening. I had a fabric with metallic paint - I put it in the microwave for 20 minutes on each side to make sure it would be OK - I do NOT use cotton thread - never thought of it at first and don't see any reason to change... I use my bag a minimum of 4 times a week - at least 8 times this week when I think of it - never a problem. ...another thought - I wonder if the microwave or the bag itself was dirty - they do need to be washed and you need a clean microwave to cook properly. Posie - I would worry about using Velcro in the microwave - glad it's working out for you, but I don't believe it is made out of cotton - more like nylon or polyester and I think you got luck on the fabric - lots of pre-quilted fabrics use polyester - you're just asking for a fire with it... As I said - you've been lucky.

o

I am a retired engineer. My wife makes these things by the 100's every year. She has never had one catch on fire. They do scorch if the microwave or the bag is not clean.

She always said you must use cotton for the batting. I never believed her. So one day when it was too hot to fish I did a test. I took a piece of cotton batting she used for spud bags and a piece of poly batting she had and set a match to them. The cotton sustained a flame while the poly just kind of melted.

So I convinced her and she now uses a poly batting and has for over 2 years with better reports from customers.

So based on this non-scientific little test, I dont think poly is more apt to catch on fire than cotton.

o

anolderman, strange that you would say that.. because when I was looking to make a quilt for one of our new arrivals that will be due soon, I was checking with fabric store regarding the batting for the quilt.. thinking I should make sure to use flame retarting fabric and batting.. and I also thought the warm and natural would be better and that is what I bought.. but the lady at the store said it did not say flame retarten... I am not sure now.. which I should have used.. how ever I too make the spud bags and I use the warm and natural batting..as it is all cotton.. humm interesting.. test you did.. I will have to check into this.. even tho I like the warm and natural batting.. was just concerned about using it now in baby quilt.. even though the lady at the store said that is what she uses..
thanks for your information..
Huggy

o

I think I need to conduct a test where it I will test the 100% cotton (Warm and Natural) and polyester in the microwave... Lighting them will show what happens with a flame - Our concern is with the Microwave... I have the little one with me tonight but I'll try it tomorrow. I happen to have both... Huggy - what length of time do you think is appropriate? I don't want to intentionally start a fire - just check them to see what is better/safer for our purposes... I use mine for potatoes and will sometimes have it in the microwave for 25 minutes (12.5 minutes on each side...)Just this last week, I threw one of my early bags away. It started feeling "thick" and rather "oily" - I threw it out - after 5 years of using it 5 - 6 times a week - and yes, I wash them when needed! lol

o

Grandmabonnie, when I first made my potato bags, and as you know my microwave is an older one and does not have a turntable.. It is clean, however; I placed my bag with potato in it and put it on 5 minutes it was not quite done so I added a few more minutes.. now understand I did not turn it or have it on a microwave safe plate.. and it did burn a few spots on the bag.. so from now on I use a microwave safe plate and I turn it every so many minutes about a 1/4 of a turn.. I have not had any trouble with it since then.. I also use the warm and natural with my heating rice bags and have not had any trouble with them either.. once again I place on a microwave safe plate and turn it every so often.. but with a rice bag only need to keep in the microwave a few minutes.. I would say.. the warm and natural is safe in the microwave but just like anything else.. we need to use good sense.. now an open flame is different.. that is why I was concerned about the baby quilt.. but melt or burn.. if the baby blanket caught fire.. melting or burning could hurt a baby..but I think the flame would do more damage or hurt more.. just never know what to do in a case like that.. once again use good sense.. do not get baby blanket near open flames or put in a microwave too long .. like I would put it in there anyway.. but you never know.. some mothers may want to warm up the blanket for the baby..( Please Mothers do not do this..) the blankets are warm enough.. but I do not think mothers would do that anyway.. I think most important thing with the potato bags is to keep them clean and also your microwave.. Sorry so chatty.. Oh Grandmabonnie, the corn is awesome in the bags.. I did some a little while back and oh my.. so good and sweet.. I also do left over dinner rolls and bagels.. now listen to this.. Arbys had sandwiches on sale.. 5 for $5.00 I am not a big Arby's fan , but grandson is.. so we bought 5. he only ate one.. so we had four left.. later on that night I got a little hungry and so I took out one of the sandwiches and rewrapped in paper towel and heated it up for a short time in bag and it was awesome.. not tough or hard.. just nice like I just got from Arbys.. I did wrap in double paper towel..
Huggy

o

I wish we had an Arbys here!!! I love their sandwiches! Now I know I can reheat them - I cn buy a few extra when I see one! Good thoughts on the batting... I am testing all the time on my items - I bought some material that had a metalic outline to some of the prints - didn't want to take a chance on it so I nukd it for 15 minutes - nothing happened so I know it is safe in the microwave... I just don't want to sell anything thst might be a hazzard and I use them myself...

o

Grandmabonnie I am going to try those soft pretzels.. I buy them by the case at GFS store and sometimes when I put them in the microwave and not in bag.. they get a little hard.. so my next test is the frozen soft pretzel.. I will keep you posted..
Huggy

o

Grandma Bonnie,

I'm a new member of the forum but have been lurking behind the scene for awhile and always follow the discussion on potato bags. I do craft fairs during in the winter leading up to Christmas with mostly painted decorative items, greeting cards, etc. Every now and then I throw in something a little different and I really have the urge to add some potato bags. I'm getting closer - bought some material today and have yet to buy the batting you've talked about. My mind has even wandered towards a serger and hope that you may have a few suggestions. Saw a Singer for about 178.00 and wondered if I could get by with that. Any thoughts and comments?

o

As to the batting for baby blankets, here is my thoughts. It's better for a fabric to burn than melt. If it only burns, it can quickly be put out, without horrendous damage done. If it melts, you have all that melted poly stuff melted into the wound. Though I had not thought of it before, I have always used the poly batting in my baby quilts! From now on, the few that I will make, will be in the warm & natural. I have only to look at my husband's hands for this lesson. As a small child, he was with his aunt while she was burning stuff. There was an old tire in the fire. Somehow, he ended up with melted rubber on his hand, and instinctively tried to get it off with the other hand. He is 52 and still has the burn scars on his hands. Yes, if it had been a natural fabric, he would still have gotten burnt, but not nearly as badly as with something that melted.

Netco, I have one of the first, least expensive sergers made. It works great for this kind of thing, so I see no problem with the one you are looking at. Mine is a White. It does a 3/4 stitch and a rolled hem (at least, it would do a rolled hem if I took it to be fixed! It still does the 3/4 stitch). It has no differential feed.

Tami

o

NETCO, I just got a serger, but I did not have anyone to show me how to thread it properly so it is sitting in the box waiting for me to take to sewing machine store and have them show me how to put in a new needle and thread the machine.. so just as a tip.. if you buy one aske someone to show you how to thread the machine and do it several times with them there.. you will not be sorry that you took the time to do it.. I make my potato bags without the serger as I just said..waiting to get it to the shop.. I just use my reg. sewing machine and turn it inside out.. and so far it works fine, may take a little longer to make.. but if you need details on how I do mine.. just let me know..potato baker bag
my first two potato bags
HUGGY

o

Huggy, thanks for the hints about getting started with the serger. Good advice! I expect it came with a manual but so many of them aren't worth much. Thanks so much for sending pictures of the bags. I've not seen what they look like. I'm getting closer to starting the process. I bought the warm and natural today (8.50/yard with a 20% discount which I was pleased with) and some material. Do you have to pre-wash the batting first before using where it will be washed after putting it together? Any more hints or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Tami, question - do all sergers cut and roll the hem? Does it work on knit material? I have a lot of tops that I would like to shorten and wonder if I could use a serger for the job. Guess I'm trying to justify buying one! LOL
I mean how many napkins do I need??

Thank you both for your imput. Nancy

o

Huggy bear - which serger did you get? The threading is usually the hardest thing to do, but once you have it mastered, there will be no stopping you! Nancy - I have never prewashed the fabric or the batting. I have several that I use almost daily and so have washed them - no shrinkage at all. Did you see the tut I posted for the serger directions on making the potato bag? Please just ask any querstions - I haven't been around for the last few days - the flu is making its way around the house - even I caught it! lol Nancy most new sergers will do the rolled hem - and with the differential feed, you can do most fabrics including knit fabric... I love my serger , but have not retired my sewing machine - I use my serger the most though and would be lost without it... The Singer is what I started with and is a workhorse!Here is the URL for the tutorial for the potato bag.

Here is a link that might be useful: Potato Bag tutrorial using the serger

o

GrandmaBonnie, I bought that one off Craigslist and it is a good one.. it is just I had trouble learning how to thread it..and I oops broke a needle and when I tried to put a new one in.. oops again I did something wrong, so I need to take to shop and have them put in new needles and show me how to thread it.. has four loopers.. I think it is either a singer or brother.. darn heck to get old and forget things. Lady at Hancock fabrics said I could bring it out to their store and she would show me how to thread it.. but I really want to have it cleaned and oiled and serviced before I start useing it.. I got it for $75.00 a good deal, has a manual, but heck I am awful with written directions.. I am like a man never ask for directions.. LOL Netco.. check out wal-mart for cotton fabric they usually have it for $2.00 a yard and I can get Three bags out of a yard and some left over for rice heating bags.. I sometimes and get a good buy on warm and natural also.. at Hancock when they have a sale. you can use your serger for many things and it sure makes it go faster.. I am going to get going on it and learn how to use mine.. I am now buying up fleece that Hancock fabrics has on sale for my blankets.. I just buy what is on sale and stash it away for a rainy day ..LOL
Huggy

o

Grandma Bonnie, are you ever organized. I bet you dodn't waste a minute of the day. I did check out your tut on using the serger. Doesn't look like you left anything out to question. I'll probably have to do the bags "the old fashion" way until I zero in on a serger. I'm beginning to get a feel for what I should look for in a serger and until then will check out the internet for more ideas. I'll be going into Target's next week so will check to see what they have. Maybe like Huggy I should check out Craigslist!

I do have one quetion about the potato bags. The measurements you gave, Grandma Bonnie, is that a standard size or do you change them sometimes. Thank you both for your comments. I'll take all the tidbits I can get. Nancy

o

Nancy if you do it the old fashion way, this is the way I do it. cut your fabric 10 x 22 cut 2 pieces.. your batting 10 x 22 cut only one piece. take your 2 pieces of fabric and put right sides together and your batting behind both of the 2 pieces of fabric and sew up two sides and one bottom.. then turn right side out.. which will put your batting between your fabrics and your fabric will now be right side out.. I fold the open ends in and sew shut. I then fold the fabric and leave about 3" or so to use to fold over. sew up the sides and if your want you can sew the bottom also.. you should now have what looks like an envelope.. it is that simple.. you can use a fancy stitch if you want because it will show.. I used several different stitches until I found the one I really liked.. or you can just use the running stitch.. If you have any questions please feel free to ask us.. we are always happy to help and share.. GrandmaBonnie has been a real gem here .. sharing with all of us.. and GrandmaBonnie sorry to hear you have the flu.. hope you are feeling better.
Huggy

o

Nancy, when I said sew up two sides and bottom , when sewing I mean for you to sew all layers together you will have two layers of fabric facing each other and the batting behind the two layers of fabric and you sew all three layers at the same time.. not sure if I was clear on that.. after I read it..it sorta sounded dumb.. LOL
Huggy

o

Do any of you know whether or not cotton leaches chemicals into food, like plastic does?

o

ALLERGYQUEEN67, I have not heard of cotton leaching out chemicals into foods...not like plastic does.. the plastic is made with certain kind of chemicals and cotton is not..
I would not think you would have any problem with all cotton fabric
Huggy

o

I use cotton - both 100% and a blend - I have used my potato bags for almost six years - my family loves potstoes and fresh vegetables so I use my bag 2 - 4 times a week - more when I add the pancakes/waffles I heat in the bag in the mornings. No chemicals so far...

o

The Warm Company recently released an all cotton batting made specifically for microwaveable potato bags. Non-chemically treated and 22" wide. It's called Warm Tater.
A free pattern for microwaveable potato bags is included in the wrapper.

Warm Tater is great for your quilts as well. Because of it's thickness, it does not need to be quilted at all.

According to ALL of the quilt batting manufacturers I've talked to, NONE of them will recommend polyester quilt batting for use in the microwave. Polyester batting is a petroleum based product. Due the California Fire Code Regulations, most battings are made to be fire retardant.
Or low melt as "anotherman" posted.

I wouldn't want a petroleum based product eeking chemicals
into my food in the microwave.

Like all microwaves, you should never leave any foods unattended while in use.

Another point to take into consideration. Warm and Natural
batting is NOT 100% cotton. It is 84% cotton, 16% polypropylene. A plastic. It is not recommended for microwave use, according to the Warm Company. Soft and Natural by the Warm Company, on the other hand could be used. It is a 100% cotton batting as is Fairfield's organic cotton batting - Cotton Classic.

One more point to consider. Please do not use any cotton fabric that has a metallic accent to it. It will ruin your
microwave. It is like putting a plate with a gold rim in your microwave. Sparks will fly! Remember sparks turn into flames.

Here is a link that might be useful: Warm Tater

o

Good mornin' sweetie - long time - no "see". Honey I have been using your product (before the new batting) for years and had no problem! It hasn't been 100% cotton for a long time now and I've had no problem with fires/scorching... I have also used fabric eith metalic pain (ie gold) for several years too. No problems - where are you getting your information? I tested it and am STILL using the material that has the metalic paint - still gowing strong with no problem.

o

the modernmom - Cynthia (yay - I remembered it) You joined the same day you posted your message about the Warm Tator. I got to thinking about this and it is bothering me. I remember you asking me to possibly selling you some potato bags last year - have you ever made a potato bag or even used a potato bag? I think you are just posting so you can give us information on your new product. You mention none of this information about the bad side effects on your website... Why not? I just don't feel comfortable with you wanting to sell me a product that is DOUBLE the cost of what I use now - I have used it with no problems at all. Thank you and perhaps I need to consider another place to buy my Warm and Natural.

o

Microwave oven fires with cloth of any kind are common. That is why you should never dry socks, etc. in the microwave. I am a microwave scientist and have studied microwave-induced fires extensively. It is best to avoid microwaving potato bags.

o

hmmmm - another guru that happened to sign up today.... hmmmm - ya think it might be someone who doesn't like potato bags... lololol

o

Hi, eveyone, have been awol of quite sometime.. but I have been really busy at work and at home.. just wanted to let Grandma Bonnie know that I finally broke down and bought a new serger sewing machine.. I have one I bought from Craigs list.. but needed to have the left needle replaced and never took time to do that and I had all kinds of trouble with the threading.. so I just put away and sorta forgot about it.. now I am working on having it repaired and may give to my daughter since I now know how to thread it and how it works from watching the DVD that came with my new machine. It does really help to see them thread the machine.. and yep it does help to follow directions..LOL
so I am planning my sewing projects as we speak.. I got some new long dresses with silk like fabric on top of them and satin like lining that could be taken apart and so I plan on making some pretty scarfs.. with the rolled hem stitch.. and of course my bake potato bags and neck coolers. I will keep you posted..

o

I just had my 2nd one burn up in the microwave last night and I am very frustrated! I bought both of them at craft shows. My microwave is clean and the bags are clean, so maybe it is my microwave. I love the way the potatoes taste when using them but I am worried about trying another one!

o

I made a couple of them and just used plain white cotton flannel instead of the cotton batting. I never had a problem with mine. They work just great, it only takes about 5 min. to cook the potato. What's your thoughts on my idea?

o

Joann - heck - if it works, don't knock it! You just use one layer of the flannel? It is 100% cotton so why not? I may give it a try when my batting is gone - the price is right for sure. Makes sense to wadh it first to pre-shrink it though - I can handle that - thank you so much for bringing this up!

o

I made it over a year ago, I think I just used the full legnth of the bag, I could have doubled it, I can't remember now. That cotton batting can get expensive so give it a try. Let me know what you think also.
I couldn't find cotton thread either so it's whatever they sell now.
I never did wash the flannel, since it was between the other cotton fabric.

o

Thanks again Joann... I will try it! Michelle - I wonder if they used 100% cotton in their batting - buying at a craft show... it's possivle they used a thin polyster batting and polyster will melt and burn. I have heard horror stories of the bags being up to 3" thick - a SURE sign of polyster...
Huggybear - how are you liking your serger? I take good care of them (oiling them and dusting them weekly) yes, I said them - I have three of them... I use them for EVERYTHING... I do need to take my Juki in to be serviced - just to deep clean it... Worth every penny I pay... Do you use the wolly nylon on your rolled hems?

o

grandma_bonnie have you tried it yet? I'd love to know your thoughts vs the thicker batting. If I ever find more flannel I plan to make more of them. I just love mine.
I still haven't tried a articoke in them yet but when the price comes down I will.

o

Not yet, Joann. I still have 50 yards of batting and our local WalMart doesn't have any white/light colored flannel right now for me to try... I can buy it online from fabric.com or Joanns.com but I want to see how the flannel will work... 50 yards of batting doesn't last long with my potato bags - I made 70 last week to replace and refill my stash of bags... It was bitter cold last Saturday so I didn't go to the Farmer's Market. Supposed to be in the 70's this week-end...

o

Thanks for the reply.

o

Market was pretty good this week-end and I will be re-filling my stash of bags by next week-end for sure... I found a good source of flannel on fabric.com - $8.98 for 108" wide and free shipping... Makes it $ .54 cents each piece - oooops plus shipping but it's still a good price...

o

Have you made any yet Bonnie? I plan to get some flannel myself as soon as I see some. Let me know how they turn out and what you think.
BTW, do you sell your bags on ebay?

o

Haven't had a market in a week and calling for rain next week too - can you imagine... rain in California!!! So I still have maybe 10 yards left of the warm and natural PLUS no $$$ to order the flannel yet... I would like to buy some flannel at Wal-Mart - just to try, but they don't have any solids right now (WM is the pits for fabric right now...) but as soon as I can, I want to get some to try inh my microwave... I have a large show in Porterville next month so I want to be ready... I probably have 250 made up right now.

o

The flannel doesn't have to be solid, since it will be between the fabric just like the warm & natural is. It does have to be cotton though.

o

I have been selling potato bags for a couple years, using all cotton fabric and thread, and the warm and natural and never had a problem until this year. My Librarian and my daughter in law both had their bags catch fire. One said she used it and went and used it again then it caught fire, my daughter in law said it caught fire the first time. Both have newer microwaves with turntables. Any advise, craft show tomorrow and I am wondering if I need to leave those home.

o

Wow - my message did NOT make it here! I mentioned that warm and Natural is no longer 100% cotton - that they have a more expensive product that is 100% but when I checked my figures, I found that they are using this thread as advertising for the product - check it out
http://www.warmcompany.com/warmtater.html
BTW - I plan on using 100% cotton batting on any more bags that I make. Haven't tried it yet - sales have been sooooo slow with the weather this year...

o

Thanks for responding Grandma bonnie - I have 20 bags made with this No longer 100% batting LOL Thanks for the link as well. I went and visited the librarian and found out that she had made one potato - took it out, and immediately cooked another at extended times.. I believe she over cooked the bag - with the non-100% cotton batting so putting disclaimer on these 20 bags that they should Rest the bag between use. Buying 100% batting for further use.

o

Glad to help, I'll be using the flannel though... 100% cotton and a wee bit thinner than the batting - I just don't like their tactics... Check out the messages from themodernmom - just advertising for the warmtator... She sells Warm and Natural and Warmtator - ya think she is just out to sell her product??? Ya think? I bought from her for 5 years - even after she had a problem with her finances - no more...

o
RE: Will bake potato bags burn in the microwave?UPDATE

Joann Fla - I tried the flannel and it is a bit thinner, but cooks the potatoes, corn, etc. the same!!! Bye - bye Warm and Natural!!! I was going to make a new thread , but since people from Warm and Natural are directed here as advertising, I figured they would want to know too!!! lololol Thanks for the information on the flannel and off to sew 100 more to brink my stock up for my next shows!!!

o

I don't think it is the individual potatoe bags, it is the particular microwaves that cause them to catch fire. I have an old cheap one from K-mart, and my dd has my even older one from before I bought this one. Both are no problem with potato bags (which roast beets really well to btw.) My mom bought a new fancy expensive huge micro wave and hers caught fire.

I'm glad to know about the flannel. I bought ours at the farmer's market, but I may make some flannel ones.

Kathy

o

Mornin' Kathy - I use the flannel inside the two cotton fabrics. Where do you live?

o

I made my potato bag more than 10 years ago and have used it a ton with no problems until today! I only baked one potato and I left it in way too long. When I came back the bag was smoking. I stuck it in the garage because it stunk so bad and the darn thing caught fire! I learned my lesson! Don't leave things in the microwave too long! Now I need a new bag because they make the most amazing potatoes, and FAST!

o

I have heard that as a reason for them to catch fire - Sorry kiddo, but like you I love how they make the potatoes, and the corn on the cob , and the artichokes, and the acorn squash... can you tell I LOVE my potato bag? lol I just reheated some corn bread left over from last night - yummmmm...

o

I have had my microwave bag for about 3 years. My daugter gave it to me atfer her getting it as a gift from somewhere she shopped. I love it, but last year I was baking 2 potatoes and my microwave automatically does the proper time for them to cook. They were not quite finished and the bag started scorching and started to physically burn! I have tried it since but it smolders where it caught fire. I cut off the burned section but it still tries to catch fire. I love baked potatoes and want to get another bag, but I don't know how to get another bag. Thanks for your time. Have a nice day.

o

Sorry I never checked back in April. I am in New Hampshire.
My potato bag is still working, but I don't know if it is all cotton or not. If I see that person again (she sets up at the winter farmers market at one of the local churches), I'l be sure to ask.
I have so much sewing lined up that I don't think I'll get to potato bags. Fortunately I've decided I dont have to make everything and its ok to buy from other crafters, olol.
Kathy

o

Please see this site for an explanation on using and/or making potato bags as well as how the microwave works. http://www.warmcompany.com/warmtater.html

The microwave heats up water/sugar content so if there is enough inside the bag the bag will be okay. Otherwise the bag will heat. Leave the potato wet and use a smaller bag if you are only cooking 1-2 potatoes. Another tip is to make sure you are using material that does not contain anything metallic and preferably without chemical treatments.

o

I won't comment on the website you mention. I have made/used and sold potato bags for over ten years now. I wonder if the warm and natural company ever used potato bags... I wonder...

o

I am still using mine made with with the flannel and have no problems. If you cook anything too long it will burn!

o

Do you remember the survival kits we made up with different items - ie. rubber band - to remind you to be flexable - Kleenex - for your tears of joy or sadness - a button - to button up your lip etc, etc. In the golf survival kit , they had a picture of an eagle - so you wouldn't have any - well, if you play golf, you know an eagle is a GOOD theng... Once it caught on with internet, you couldn't change it to the correct version... The same is true about the potato bags - the cotton batting is to "keep the potato moist on the inside..." - you don't want moist potatoes - you want them dry - like you get when they are cooked in the oven, but look and see how many people will advertise that they keep the potato moist~~ The Warm and Natural Co. says that - that in itself tells me they have never actually tried using the bag to cook potatoes... Just following what they see on the internet.

o

Yes. Mine caught fire. I put in microwave for the recommended 4 mins then added 2 more and it caught fire. I bought it from the Canton Flea Mkt in Canton, MS

o

Yes. Mine caught fire. I put in microwave for the recommended 4 mins then added 2 more and it caught fire. I bought it from the Canton Flea Mkt in Canton, MS

o

I'm sorry - if you have read this thread, you'll see that there are lots of reasons for one to catch on fire. I can honestly say that I use my bag up to 10 times a week for different things - yes, I follow the directions, yes, I wash mine when it gets dirty or has food is on it. and never had one catch fire or smolder. Well, I take that back. I found some beautiful fabric I wanted to use for a potato bag and wanted to make sure it would NOT spark a fire as it had metalic paint... I took a half yard of the fabric and placed it in the microwave and nuked it for 3 minutes... Nothing else in the microwave and it smoldered! I put the fabric away and a year later, someone told me you have to have something in the microwave along with the fabric! It has to have something in there to cook or heat. I tried it again - worked fine! I have made probably 1,000 potato bags in the last 10 years and never had a report of a fine... There are cotton battings out there that have polyster in the scrim used and that may be the problem too.

o

I also make the Tater Sacks for gifts and sale. I don't use the batting. I buy inexpensive white 100% cotton Terry towels instead. They are less expensive. I can get 3 bag inner liners out of 1 average bath towel and they are like less than $2 ea at Walmart. I also make the Tater grabbers too to go with the Sack and sell them as a set. I do use that insulated batting with the metal flecks in it for the bottom of the grabber so it diverts the heat away from your hand. Then just use the Terry towel for the interior of the top pieces that don't contact hot objects. I use my Tater grabbers for the big oven too. they work kind of like a sock puppet on your hand, but they just cover your thumb, fingers and palm.

o

I also make the Tater Sacks for gifts and sale. I don't use the batting. I buy inexpensive white 100% cotton Terry towels instead. They are less expensive. I can get 3 bag inner liners out of 1 average bath towel and they are like less than $2 ea at Walmart. I also make the Tater grabbers too to go with the Sack and sell them as a set. I do use that insulated batting with the metal flecks in it for the bottom of the grabber so it diverts the heat away from your hand. Then just use the Terry towel for the interior of the top pieces that don't contact hot objects. I use my Tater grabbers for the big oven too. they work kind of like a sock puppet on your hand, but they just cover your thumb, fingers and palm.

o

Sounds great! I buy my cotton batting by the bolt from Joann's which makes the price less than $ .40 for each bag... I have also used flannel but they are thinner and people are nervous using them. The bags shown on TV have helped my sales a lot! They are smaller and the directions are awful...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here