Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cooper9191

Will bake potato bags burn in the microwave?

cooper9191
17 years ago

Will baked potato bags burn in the microwave? I use them and haven't had any problem but have heard that they will.

Comments (92)

• JoAnn_Fla
    13 years ago

I made a couple of them and just used plain white cotton flannel instead of the cotton batting. I never had a problem with mine. They work just great, it only takes about 5 min. to cook the potato. What's your thoughts on my idea?

• grandma_bonnie
    13 years ago

Joann - heck - if it works, don't knock it! You just use one layer of the flannel? It is 100% cotton so why not? I may give it a try when my batting is gone - the price is right for sure. Makes sense to wadh it first to pre-shrink it though - I can handle that - thank you so much for bringing this up!

• JoAnn_Fla
    13 years ago

I made it over a year ago, I think I just used the full legnth of the bag, I could have doubled it, I can't remember now. That cotton batting can get expensive so give it a try. Let me know what you think also.
    I couldn't find cotton thread either so it's whatever they sell now.
    I never did wash the flannel, since it was between the other cotton fabric.

• grandma_bonnie
    13 years ago

Thanks again Joann... I will try it! Michelle - I wonder if they used 100% cotton in their batting - buying at a craft show... it's possivle they used a thin polyster batting and polyster will melt and burn. I have heard horror stories of the bags being up to 3" thick - a SURE sign of polyster...
    Huggybear - how are you liking your serger? I take good care of them (oiling them and dusting them weekly) yes, I said them - I have three of them... I use them for EVERYTHING... I do need to take my Juki in to be serviced - just to deep clean it... Worth every penny I pay... Do you use the wolly nylon on your rolled hems?

• JoAnn_Fla
    13 years ago

grandma_bonnie have you tried it yet? I'd love to know your thoughts vs the thicker batting. If I ever find more flannel I plan to make more of them. I just love mine.
    I still haven't tried a articoke in them yet but when the price comes down I will.

• grandma_bonnie
    13 years ago

Not yet, Joann. I still have 50 yards of batting and our local WalMart doesn't have any white/light colored flannel right now for me to try... I can buy it online from fabric.com or Joanns.com but I want to see how the flannel will work... 50 yards of batting doesn't last long with my potato bags - I made 70 last week to replace and refill my stash of bags... It was bitter cold last Saturday so I didn't go to the Farmer's Market. Supposed to be in the 70's this week-end...

• JoAnn_Fla
    13 years ago

Thanks for the reply.

• grandma_bonnie
    13 years ago

Market was pretty good this week-end and I will be re-filling my stash of bags by next week-end for sure... I found a good source of flannel on fabric.com - $8.98 for 108" wide and free shipping... Makes it $ .54 cents each piece - oooops plus shipping but it's still a good price...

• JoAnn_Fla
    13 years ago

Have you made any yet Bonnie? I plan to get some flannel myself as soon as I see some. Let me know how they turn out and what you think.
    BTW, do you sell your bags on ebay?

• grandma_bonnie
    13 years ago

Haven't had a market in a week and calling for rain next week too - can you imagine... rain in California!!! So I still have maybe 10 yards left of the warm and natural PLUS no $$$ to order the flannel yet... I would like to buy some flannel at Wal-Mart - just to try, but they don't have any solids right now (WM is the pits for fabric right now...) but as soon as I can, I want to get some to try inh my microwave... I have a large show in Porterville next month so I want to be ready... I probably have 250 made up right now.

• JoAnn_Fla
    13 years ago

The flannel doesn't have to be solid, since it will be between the fabric just like the warm & natural is. It does have to be cotton though.

• justneedsleep_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

I have been selling potato bags for a couple years, using all cotton fabric and thread, and the warm and natural and never had a problem until this year. My Librarian and my daughter in law both had their bags catch fire. One said she used it and went and used it again then it caught fire, my daughter in law said it caught fire the first time. Both have newer microwaves with turntables. Any advise, craft show tomorrow and I am wondering if I need to leave those home.

• grandma_bonnie
    12 years ago

Wow - my message did NOT make it here! I mentioned that warm and Natural is no longer 100% cotton - that they have a more expensive product that is 100% but when I checked my figures, I found that they are using this thread as advertising for the product - check it out
    http://www.warmcompany.com/warmtater.html
    BTW - I plan on using 100% cotton batting on any more bags that I make. Haven't tried it yet - sales have been sooooo slow with the weather this year...

• justneedsleep_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

Thanks for responding Grandma bonnie - I have 20 bags made with this No longer 100% batting LOL Thanks for the link as well. I went and visited the librarian and found out that she had made one potato - took it out, and immediately cooked another at extended times.. I believe she over cooked the bag - with the non-100% cotton batting so putting disclaimer on these 20 bags that they should Rest the bag between use. Buying 100% batting for further use.

• grandma_bonnie
    12 years ago

Glad to help, I'll be using the flannel though... 100% cotton and a wee bit thinner than the batting - I just don't like their tactics... Check out the messages from themodernmom - just advertising for the warmtator... She sells Warm and Natural and Warmtator - ya think she is just out to sell her product??? Ya think? I bought from her for 5 years - even after she had a problem with her finances - no more...

• grandma_bonnie
    12 years ago

Joann Fla - I tried the flannel and it is a bit thinner, but cooks the potatoes, corn, etc. the same!!! Bye - bye Warm and Natural!!! I was going to make a new thread , but since people from Warm and Natural are directed here as advertising, I figured they would want to know too!!! lololol Thanks for the information on the flannel and off to sew 100 more to brink my stock up for my next shows!!!

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

I don't think it is the individual potatoe bags, it is the particular microwaves that cause them to catch fire. I have an old cheap one from K-mart, and my dd has my even older one from before I bought this one. Both are no problem with potato bags (which roast beets really well to btw.) My mom bought a new fancy expensive huge micro wave and hers caught fire.

I'm glad to know about the flannel. I bought ours at the farmer's market, but I may make some flannel ones.

Kathy

• grandma_bonnie
    12 years ago

Mornin' Kathy - I use the flannel inside the two cotton fabrics. Where do you live?

• beckazoo_juno_com
    12 years ago

I made my potato bag more than 10 years ago and have used it a ton with no problems until today! I only baked one potato and I left it in way too long. When I came back the bag was smoking. I stuck it in the garage because it stunk so bad and the darn thing caught fire! I learned my lesson! Don't leave things in the microwave too long! Now I need a new bag because they make the most amazing potatoes, and FAST!

• grandma_bonnie
    12 years ago

I have heard that as a reason for them to catch fire - Sorry kiddo, but like you I love how they make the potatoes, and the corn on the cob , and the artichokes, and the acorn squash... can you tell I LOVE my potato bag? lol I just reheated some corn bread left over from last night - yummmmm...

• charbur45_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I have had my microwave bag for about 3 years. My daugter gave it to me atfer her getting it as a gift from somewhere she shopped. I love it, but last year I was baking 2 potatoes and my microwave automatically does the proper time for them to cook. They were not quite finished and the bag started scorching and started to physically burn! I have tried it since but it smolders where it caught fire. I cut off the burned section but it still tries to catch fire. I love baked potatoes and want to get another bag, but I don't know how to get another bag. Thanks for your time. Have a nice day.

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Sorry I never checked back in April. I am in New Hampshire.
    My potato bag is still working, but I don't know if it is all cotton or not. If I see that person again (she sets up at the winter farmers market at one of the local churches), I'l be sure to ask.
    I have so much sewing lined up that I don't think I'll get to potato bags. Fortunately I've decided I dont have to make everything and its ok to buy from other crafters, olol.
    Kathy

• thallibu
    11 years ago

Please see this site for an explanation on using and/or making potato bags as well as how the microwave works. http://www.warmcompany.com/warmtater.html

The microwave heats up water/sugar content so if there is enough inside the bag the bag will be okay. Otherwise the bag will heat. Leave the potato wet and use a smaller bag if you are only cooking 1-2 potatoes. Another tip is to make sure you are using material that does not contain anything metallic and preferably without chemical treatments.

• grandma_bonnie
    11 years ago

I won't comment on the website you mention. I have made/used and sold potato bags for over ten years now. I wonder if the warm and natural company ever used potato bags... I wonder...

• JoAnn_Fla
    11 years ago

I am still using mine made with with the flannel and have no problems. If you cook anything too long it will burn!

• grandma_bonnie
    11 years ago

Do you remember the survival kits we made up with different items - ie. rubber band - to remind you to be flexable - Kleenex - for your tears of joy or sadness - a button - to button up your lip etc, etc. In the golf survival kit , they had a picture of an eagle - so you wouldn't have any - well, if you play golf, you know an eagle is a GOOD theng... Once it caught on with internet, you couldn't change it to the correct version... The same is true about the potato bags - the cotton batting is to "keep the potato moist on the inside..." - you don't want moist potatoes - you want them dry - like you get when they are cooked in the oven, but look and see how many people will advertise that they keep the potato moist~~ The Warm and Natural Co. says that - that in itself tells me they have never actually tried using the bag to cook potatoes... Just following what they see on the internet.

• stormie1
    10 years ago

Yes. Mine caught fire. I put in microwave for the recommended 4 mins then added 2 more and it caught fire. I bought it from the Canton Flea Mkt in Canton, MS

• stormie1
    10 years ago

Yes. Mine caught fire. I put in microwave for the recommended 4 mins then added 2 more and it caught fire. I bought it from the Canton Flea Mkt in Canton, MS

• grandma_bonnie
    10 years ago

I'm sorry - if you have read this thread, you'll see that there are lots of reasons for one to catch on fire. I can honestly say that I use my bag up to 10 times a week for different things - yes, I follow the directions, yes, I wash mine when it gets dirty or has food is on it. and never had one catch fire or smolder. Well, I take that back. I found some beautiful fabric I wanted to use for a potato bag and wanted to make sure it would NOT spark a fire as it had metalic paint... I took a half yard of the fabric and placed it in the microwave and nuked it for 3 minutes... Nothing else in the microwave and it smoldered! I put the fabric away and a year later, someone told me you have to have something in the microwave along with the fabric! It has to have something in there to cook or heat. I tried it again - worked fine! I have made probably 1,000 potato bags in the last 10 years and never had a report of a fine... There are cotton battings out there that have polyster in the scrim used and that may be the problem too.

• mistyblue22
    10 years ago

I also make the Tater Sacks for gifts and sale. I don't use the batting. I buy inexpensive white 100% cotton Terry towels instead. They are less expensive. I can get 3 bag inner liners out of 1 average bath towel and they are like less than $2 ea at Walmart. I also make the Tater grabbers too to go with the Sack and sell them as a set. I do use that insulated batting with the metal flecks in it for the bottom of the grabber so it diverts the heat away from your hand. Then just use the Terry towel for the interior of the top pieces that don't contact hot objects. I use my Tater grabbers for the big oven too. they work kind of like a sock puppet on your hand, but they just cover your thumb, fingers and palm.

• mistyblue22
    10 years ago

I also make the Tater Sacks for gifts and sale. I don't use the batting. I buy inexpensive white 100% cotton Terry towels instead. They are less expensive. I can get 3 bag inner liners out of 1 average bath towel and they are like less than $2 ea at Walmart. I also make the Tater grabbers too to go with the Sack and sell them as a set. I do use that insulated batting with the metal flecks in it for the bottom of the grabber so it diverts the heat away from your hand. Then just use the Terry towel for the interior of the top pieces that don't contact hot objects. I use my Tater grabbers for the big oven too. they work kind of like a sock puppet on your hand, but they just cover your thumb, fingers and palm.

• grandma_bonnie
    10 years ago

Sounds great! I buy my cotton batting by the bolt from Joann's which makes the price less than $ .40 for each bag... I have also used flannel but they are thinner and people are nervous using them. The bags shown on TV have helped my sales a lot! They are smaller and the directions are awful...

• holyloch
    9 years ago

I put a small potato in the bag in the microwave and turned it on. In three and a half min. the potato was done but the bag was on fire. The potato was great but the bag of no further use

• tami_ohio
    9 years ago

That was because the bag was not made of 100% cotton components. It MUST be 100% cotton materials.

• grandma_bonnie
    9 years ago

That's possible...

• mickeysmom1
    8 years ago

I have had 2 fires using microwave potato bake bags. 4 minutes was all it took for the fire yesterday!!!! I won't try a third!!!!

• mistyblue22
    8 years ago

I have to add some advice. I have made them and sold them and I use mine all the time. You need to have a microwave with a turntable so that the bag doesn't get hot spots and yes - all 100% cotton material. when using it wash the potatoes - while wet wrap in a paper towel. Place the wrapped potato into the bag if there is empty space in the bag tuck that empty part of the bag under the potato so the potato is closely surrounded by the bag and gets properly steamed. If the bag becomes soiled, wash it like a pot holder and air dry no fabric softener. I love mine. I have even taken old towels and made them into bags and they also work well. The most important things to prevent hot spots are: 1. reduce unused space and 2. employ a microwave with a turntable. I do corn on the cob and other steamable veggies in mine as well.

• grandma_bonnie
    8 years ago

Tried to attach a pic of recipes and it knocked me and my message off! I agree that you need a turntable in your microwave but you also have to wash your potato bag when it is soiled too. I have sold probably a thousand bags over the last 13 years and the only one burnt was dirty - I also scorched some fabric. I had questionable fabric and decided to test it - I placed it in the microwave and within 2 minutes, it was smoking! I had nothing else in the microwave... You have to have something to cook or heat in there along with the fabric! Even a glass of water will work...

• mickeysmom1
    8 years ago

My attempt yesterday was a brand new bag, never been used. I won't be trying a third, for sure!

• grandma_bonnie
    8 years ago

Sorry, Mickey's Mom The only other thing I can think of is they used very thin polyester batting. Misty Blue - here are some directions that are tried and true...

• ervarster
    8 years ago

I bought a potatoe bag from a lady who makes lots. Used it for about 5 years and had no problem with it burning. Then used it last week and it burned even though every thing was clean. Soooo I made some my self. Used a couple of times and even though every thing was cotton it burned. What is wrong?

• sbmckinney1
    8 years ago

I used mine for the first time tonight and yes indeed it did catch on fire.

• grandma_bonnie
    8 years ago

Kathy - I use that adhesive that seals the thread - it's called Fray Check. I* use the FC before trimming the ends. No tutorial for the serger - Let me try to talk you through it...Cut fabrics and batting 10"x23". I make a sandwich of the two fabrics with the cotton batting in between. I then serge the two short ends - fold the entire thing together (it will now be 10"x22") and serge the sides ... !together. ...that's it...

• rkosborne
    8 years ago

Thanks so much. I have Fray Check in my sewing basket!!

• Patty Pulignano
    7 years ago

I've been making them I only use 100% cotton for microwave . Some of the ones that are 100% cotton also have an additive if polypropylene which may not be safe. It's an prod to keep it from clumping when I find out I'll let you know. If anybody knows please let me know . My husband says it's a kind of plastic which to me shouldn't be use. And some have Olefin added. % there's word it can be bad too.

• Patty Pulignano
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I just read an article stating Olefin will catch fire so check the natural cotton products cause some have Olefin in them and polypropylene in them it's basically same thing. Not recommend for microwave I don't think. It's so misleading. I'm going to stay on safe side & not add chemicals to my microwave food. We love the bowl holders all 100% cotton , fabric, batting,& thread too.

• Donna Rickman
    6 years ago

I have made several potatoe bags, and soup bowl holders, and have only had one person say their bag had a few dark marks, along with a small burnt spot, where one of the seams were sewn. Thinking it was just marks on the fabric, as maybe there had been some food source on the outside of the bowl, and she attempted to hand wash it out, then realised that it was definitely the start of a burn situation. She had placed two potatoes in the soup bowl holder and set it for 6 minutes.....no wonder it started to get so hot and she tossed it into the garbage, Some of the holders I originally made, I used 100% cotton, wrapped with polyester,,,,I since hearing her story make all items to use in the microwave with 100% cotton, fabric, batting and thread, I also include a card to indicate no longer than 2 minutes of cooking time per item.

Here are instructions to make a potatoe bag.

1. Cut one 9 x 20 inch rectangle each of the outer fabric, lining fabric and batting.

2. Place the outer fabric and lining fabric, right sides together and batting against wrong side of the lining fabric. Press the outer fabric lengthwise in order to have a center line - see #3

3. On your batting - Using a ruler mark a line across and down from the top at 6" - (use this line so your points will match in the middle at the top of the flap and line up evenly across the bag), and then trim at a 45 degree angle from the center fold, to the outside edge on each side.

1. Stitch around all sides, leaving a 3"opening for turning. Trim the excess batting, and clip corners. Turn right side out, poke all corners and point. Stitch opening closed. You can quilt your bag, before you proceed. Or Not.

Fold the bottom up to within one inch of your outside points and stitch the sides, to create a bag. Launder before using your new potatoe and vegetable bag.

• lookintomyeyes83
    6 years ago

I have to ask -how does cooking in a bag compare to microwaving the potato with a few holes/slots put in it?

I've always cooked my baked potato in the microwave, just without a bag, and its delish. Does this really make it even better?

• JoAnn_Fla
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

It's just so easy to do it in the bag. The bag can catch on fire though. You can't MW more than 4 min at a time

Sponsored
Above Board Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Custom Deck & Outdoor Enclosure Solutions in Loudoun County