Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sealer for wicker ?

Posted by sow2grow (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 2, 07 at 21:01

Does anyone use a sealer for their wicker things they want to put outside. I read somewhere to use yacht shellac.....it is too pricey for me. I need something cheap that works, for chairs, baskets and such.

thanks for any suggestions!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sealer for wicker ?

Exterior stain or sealer? That should do the trick. Paint or stain will really help and if you make sure it's exterior, it should last longer.

o

Not trying to steal the thread but will spray paint work to paint wicker? I just bought a wicker dresser at a yard sale and I want to paint it white.

o

Yes, it will. My aunt had a several sets of wicker around her house (she had a larger old home with a few porches). She picked up most of the pieces second hand and they needed work. They sprayed all of the furniture pieces with glossy white spray paint. I do remember my Gran saying they bought one of those triggers that you attach to the can because their hands hurt from pushing the nozzle for as long as they had to! LOL

o

I have a bunch of wicker I use on my front porch. It is fairly protected, but still is out to the elements. I power washed it, primed it and then painted it with exterior white paint. I tried to use a sprayer, but ended up painting it all with a brush. I totally destroyed a couple of brushes, but it turned out GREAT! And after a year of being outside, looks like I just did it! Was something I put off doing for a couple of years and now wonder why! It was work, but the results were SOOOOOOO worth it. Looks like NEW wicker!

Just do it......it will look bright and clean and just like new. Really worth the trouble!
Good luck!
Julie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here