Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toomuchglass

Does anybody here do Sculpy ?

toomuchglass
17 years ago

This has always fascinted me - but lately I see beautiful Beads that are made from scuply ! Some of them look actually like precious stones. This has got me VERY interested. Uh-oh --- I feel another hobby coming on ....

I'm giving up my stained glass (not forever - I just need a vacation from it ) and I need something new to fill the gap. If you do it - what do you make with it ? It's a fascinating medium.

Comments (27)

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Not me, but neighbors MIL does. Her beads out of sculpy look so pretty and expensive. She "layers" her clay then rolls it, slices it, then forms it into various shaped beads. They look "marbled" and really really pretty. She makes necklaces and bracelets out of them and sells them. Jewelry of all types seems to be really popular now. I am sure there must be a book that would get you started--nice to branch out and try new things isn't it? Luvs

• DebW
    17 years ago

I'm so glad you posted! I was just going to post the exact same thing! I just bought some sculpey last weekend and a bead baking rack, roller and tools. Both my parents have recently died and I have made several things in remembrance of our mom for my sisters and myself, but I have been stumped as to what to make out of our dad's stuff. My idea is to try to put little brightly colored pieces from his flannel shirts in the transparent sculpey and make beads out of it. I have no clue if this will even work (anyone know??), but I'm going to try!! ;-)
    Deb

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This might be fun Luvs - (alot cheaper than stained glass !) Deb - what a great idea !! I'm sure it would work . Scuply is baked at low temps right ? The only thing I can foresee is the transparent clay might become cloudy. Try it with a junky scrap . Now that I'm all inspired ...I'll have to look for a book (and hide it from DH ~~ LOL )!!!

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Good luck to both of you. Let me know how it goes, and please post pics. This is something I might want to try someday too--just too busy with GJ and Dec. Painting things right now. Luvs

• DebW
    17 years ago

I just was doing a search for sculpey and it took me to the Michael's website and they have something called Translucent Liquid Sculpey. I didn't see that when I was there. It looks like you can almost use it like a transfer and/or a glue to put things onto baked sculpey, so if my fabric "in" the sculpey doesn't work, maybe I can put the fabric "on" the sculpey beads that way.
    Deb

• les917
    17 years ago

Debw, I think your idea is great. My condolences on the loss of your parents. My dad passed away this year, and I miss him and think of him often.

But if that doesn't work, what you could do is to make the shirt fabric into a long tube, probably about 24 inches. Then use the buttons on the shirt to make impressions in sculpey beads you make, and string those on the fabric tube once they are baked (obviously you need a large enough hole in the bead for this). These would become necklaces.

You could make an elastic loop on one of the ends and put a real button on the other to close, or just sew the ends up after threading the beads, and pop over the head to wear.

• DebW
    17 years ago

I finally tried my bead idea and I'm pretty happy with the results. I made a bracelet for a lady whose husband just died and a smaller matching one for her granddaughter. I took a small piece of flannel shirt and pulled the threads apart. I cut the threads into small pieces and worked it into the sculpey,then made and baked the beads, then glazed them with the sculpey gloss. They almost look like marbles. Now on to make different colored ones with my dad's shirts for my sisters. I posted a picture if anyone wants to see what they turned out like. Les, I'd like to try your idea too! DebW

Here is a link that might be useful: sculpey beads with fabric inside

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That turned out sooooooooo nice !!

• craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

Debbie, what a wonderful way to remember your Dad. The bead bracelet is beautiful, great job.

Sal

• crystal01
    17 years ago

Debbie, I love the rememberance bracelet idea. That is beautiful.

toomuchglass - www.sculpey.com/ is looking for Product Testers.

I was looking for recipes for dough ornaments but I think I want to try sculpey. I want to make an ornament for my Godchild who just got engaged.

Here is a link that might be useful: HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN DOUGH ORNAMENTS AT HOME!

• crystal01
    17 years ago

LOL toomuchglass you could tell DH you now are going to make your own "stain glass tile beads"

Here is a link that might be useful: Stained Glass Tile Beads

• chickencollecter
    17 years ago

The beads are beautiful!! I should learn to do that. My dd does beautiful beaded jewerly and I just know that she would enjoy working with those beads.

I haven't done beads, but I have used it for tiles. I did a bowling ball for my dd from stuff made with sculpy and she loves it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/tootsierose/mosaics/bowlingballcatsproject002.jpg

And I'm trying to do another one for me with a butter mold/cookie mold of a rooster. Haven't gotten enough roosters made yet. LOL

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/tootsierose/mosaics/chickensandmold.jpg

Be Safe, Rach

• oddie
    17 years ago

Your beads are just BEAUTIFUL! and what a wonderful Idea! now for a ? what are the metal things on each side of you beads called? I received some beads for christmas but think they look plan without those metal things, I have looked throu sites but cant seem to find them.
    Thanks
    oddie

• barb_from_pa
    17 years ago

This isn't anything beady, but we made these at an Advent Workshop at church. Turned out better than I though it would. (I know the size ratio isn't correct - I call it whimsical)

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Very impressive beads, BB's, and nativity ladies. I have a book that DS bought me a few years back. I thought the sculpy items were really cute, but wasn't sure I had the talent for it. However, this could be a really good craft project to do when we take trips in the motor home. Wouldn't take up allot of space and I could even work on it while he drives. Guess I will dig out that book again.

Debw, your bracelet looks wonderful. You must have already made jewelry before to know all the right pieces to use with your beads. Tell us more details, so we know what items we would need to buy, okay?

Luvs

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm so impressed ........... I hope my stuff turns out like every one else's stuff!!! I played with it over the holidays and my biggest problem was fingerprints. When I looked at my figures , I laughed ... they sure have big pores ! LOL

• blueiis
    17 years ago

Here's some lightswitch plates that I decorated using Sculpey

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Those are really nice. Lots of small details in them--you did an excellent job. Luvs

• paintingfool
    17 years ago

Love the Princess one, but I agree with Luvs, I like your painted ones the best.

• barb_from_pa
    17 years ago

blueiis - how did you attached your Sculpy to the switchplates. I think that's a really neat idea!

• DebW
    17 years ago

The things on each side of the beads are called bead caps. I thought mine needed something else too, so I added that little round metal spacer bead too. I strung these on bead stringing wire (.012" diameter---comes on a roll) so the other supply needed was a clasp/closure. You could do them on that stretch magic cord too though and just tie it. Luvstocraft, no I don't do jewelry, but I'd love to. Right now I've collected a huge bowl full of beads and other supplies for all of the things that I want to make some day...LOL! DebW

• oddie
    17 years ago

debw yes please show more photos of your beads! what color of clay did you start with in the ones on your post? would you share a little more detail of how you made your beads, you have made me want to go buy what I need to try and that doesnt happen offen, maybe you could start a new post and give us a lesson on how your beads were made Please!
    happy crafting
    oddie

• blueiis
    17 years ago

Barb: I used polyurethane, just painted the whole plate with it, then placed the sculpey pieces, then when that was dry, did another couple of coats of polyurethane. I found that the pieces stay on better that way than using glue.

Blue

• Woodsy
    17 years ago

I am visiting from another forum..and HAD to reply to this. I love polymer clay! Your beads turned out great! as did the nativity set and switchplates. If you would like other projects to do...Sculpey has a website.think it's just Sculpey.com, and they have lots of nice projects for beginners.
    For those who get addicted (and it can quite easily)all you have to do is a search under "polymer clay tutorials" and you would be amazed at what's out there. Polymer Clay Central is a place to see some good tutorials too. And if you REALLY get hooked, try looking up The Glass Attic...tons of info including techniques.
    Clay is a great option for traveling, cause you can leave the clay for weeks on a cookie sheet, and bake them when you get home.
    Good luck with your claying! Enjoy!
    Woodsy

• klb9596
    17 years ago

Don't mean to hijack this thread but has anyone made drawer knobs like these? They look like polymer clay to me overlaying a simple wooden knob. Curious if it is safe to bake the wooden knob in the oven?

Here is a link that might be useful: Beautiful decorative drawer knobs

• Woodsy
    17 years ago

Hi klb9596..
    yes, you can cover wooden knobs...the only thing you need to do is to bake the knob before adding the clay to remove moistue from the wood. Put your knobs on a cookie sheet, tent the cookie sheet with aluminum foil (to keep knobs from scorching) and bake at 250 degrees for about 30 to 45 minutes or so (timing is not crucial here)so, the bigger the knob, the longer you bake. Let the knob cool completely. After the knob cooled, I added a coating of Sobo glue and let it dry completely. This gives the clay something to bond to.
    Add your clay to your knob, I did not cover the bottom of the knob, and used a tissue blade or exacto knife to trim off any extra that hung over the bottom edge. (by doing this, I was able to use the original screws that came with the knob (adding clay to the bottom means you may have to use a longer screw) and I also felt the wood of the knob would be gentler to the finish on my cabinet, and I was also worried about the clay cracking if I exerted too much force on the knob when putting the screws in.
    After you bake your clay, and let it cool, finish with a couple of coats of sealer (I used Future floor wax..let it dry then rebake for 10 minutes at temp your clay calls for. this sets the finish and makes it more durable)Bake after each coat of this finish. Or use a finish specified by your clay manufacture and follow their directions.
    The knobs in the link were gorgeous!! Good luck!
    Woodsy

• projecterin
    17 years ago

wow, what a bunch of good ideas. i really love the one that has beads with shirt in them. i need to stop reading al this creative stuff, i'm getting brain freeze. i don't know which to do first! now i've got to go to the vraft shop and ask about sculpty. i see another project coming on! erin

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County