Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shysue

First time making a diaper cake

shysue
16 years ago

I have seen so many pictures of the beautiful diaper cakes that everyone is making, that I thought I would try my hand at it. I have a shower coming up and I hope this is nice enough to give as a gift. I had a few problems getting things to stay on the cake and my ribbon keeps slipping. If anyone has made them and has any tips, I would appreciate any help.

Comments (11)

• shysue
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry, I forgot to add the picture of the cake to my post.

• Cheri_C
    16 years ago

Oh, how cute!!! That will definitely be the talk of the shower. Great job!!!
    Cheri

• oddie
    16 years ago

sorry no tips ,but had to say your cake is soooo cute! and will be a beautiful gift! you did a beautiful job!
    oddie

• Vicki Pidgeon
    16 years ago

That is one cute cake! I love the curling ribbon and candle on top! I made my first diaper cake two weeks ago. I put a rubber band around each diaper and then around each grouping. The bottom layer, row three, was too big for a rubber band. So there I used a string and tied it tightly. Put the ribbon on top of rubber bands and string bindings. For my decorations, I balanced and tucked. I did think about taping things to a popsicle stick or skewer to secure better, but they seemed to do fine. Some directions said to wrap cake up in celephane wrap, so if you have to travel with it, you may want to do that. I wanted my cake more visable so I did not do that. I just took a look at the pic of the one I did - I also put a receiving blanket around the two bottom layers and a burp diaper on the top layer. But personally, I like yours better.
    {{gwi:1482887}}

• sjarz
    16 years ago

Both are really cute! Have never made one, but wouldn't some double sided tape solve the slipping ribbon problem?
    Suzan

• craftylady-2006
    16 years ago

Excellent craftsmanship Sue, you did a great job on that diaper cake. It's really pretty.

Sal

• shysue
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. As I have never seen one other than in a picture, I'm still not sure it is good enough for a gift.

Passport4vickie thanks for the good instructions. What did you do where the ribbon meets around the cake? I didn't know whether to put something over it or just leave it. I can't see the picture of your cake. Waaaa!

Sjarz, I did use double sided tape and glue dots. I have decided it must be the type of ribbon that I used. Next time I will use a different type.

• sjarz
    16 years ago

Sue
    It is more than good enough for a gift!! If I was an expectant mother I would be tickled to receive it. Don't be so hard on yourself, girlfriend!
    Suzan J

• ann_a_gardener
    16 years ago

Diaper cake is more than enough for a gift. It is very practical. And it is really cute way to give something that would be really useful. And just like you did, you can include in your diaper cake design many other baby items too. Lotions, different baby toys even clothing. Don't be nervous about it - you are giving a really cool gift. Last time I gave a diaper cakes as a gift on baby shower everybody was wowed. It was the coolest gift of all. Check some of the pictures and ideas on this diaper cake blog -

Here is a link that might be useful: Diaper Cake Blog

• shysue
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Ann. I wish I had seen that blog earlier, but I will say they loved the diaper cake I gave them this last weekend. I am always nervous giving someone something I have made. Low self-confidence, I guess. Like you said,"Everybody was wowed."

• le_chef
    15 years ago

Hello shysue and all the rest of you.

I know I'm about 6 months too late :O: but...
    nevertheless, I'd like to provide you with some hints on how to make a beautiful diaper cake in 23 mins. or less.

I hope, that you managed to make your cake last October.

/
    Regards,
    le_Chef

Here is a link that might be useful: Diaper Cakes.tk