Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'antiquing' and darkening verdigris painted metal

Posted by linnea56 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 5, 08 at 18:06

I bought some plant stands on sale that are metal that has been painted a bright verdigris green color. I need to make these darker to go better with the dark wood furniture in that room as well as the plant stands I already have that are dark metal with bronze painted accents. The verdigris color would go if it was just much darker and had some black/brown in it. Without repainting them completely, what can I do? I thought of doing the following, tell me if this sounds like it would work or if there is something better I can try.

I would use black acrylic craft paint (maybe mixed partly with a warm dark brown so the contrast would not be too harsh) and blend it with a gel medium to make it partly transparent and to slow drying time. I would brush it on to cover a section at a time and then wipe it off with a rag on the high points. The lowest lying points would then look "antiqued" but the highest rubbed points would still be green. There is a lot of metal textural detail that would hold the darker color. The whole effect would still be verdigris but darker.

Any other or better ideas? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'antiquing' and darkening verdigris painted metal

It sounds like a good plan to me. I'm planning a project along the same lines....a whole collection of metal picture frames I've been saving. They're gold and silver, and I want to put a black antique wash over them to tone them down, and go more with all the black wrought iron I have. Naturally I didn't think of doing this til after I put photos in the frames...lol :)

o

Im wondering if theres some kind of one-step process I could use. I have 4 plant stands and thats a lot of ground to cover if I have to blend 2 colors plus the gel medium.

o

I'm not sure you would need the gel medium. Just brush the paint on and wipe off right away doing it in sections. If it dries to quickly, just brush over it again to wet it. Hope you will share a before and after pic with us. Luvs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here