Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

'antiquing' and darkening verdigris painted metal

I bought some plant stands on sale that are metal that has been painted a bright verdigris green color. I need to make these darker to go better with the dark wood furniture in that room as well as the plant stands I already have that are dark metal with bronze painted accents. The verdigris color would go if it was just much darker and had some black/brown in it. Without repainting them completely, what can I do? I thought of doing the following, tell me if this sounds like it would work or if there is something better I can try.

I would use black acrylic craft paint (maybe mixed partly with a warm dark brown so the contrast would not be too harsh) and blend it with a gel medium to make it partly transparent and to slow drying time. I would brush it on to cover a section at a time and then wipe it off with a rag on the high points. The lowest lying points would then look "antiqued" but the highest rubbed points would still be green. There is a lot of metal textural detail that would hold the darker color. The whole effect would still be verdigris but darker.

Any other or better ideas? Thanks!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
DryHome Roofing & Siding, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars82 Reviews
Loudon Co. Roofing, Siding & Exterior Remodeler Best of Houzz 5 times!