Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

'antiquing' and darkening verdigris painted metal

I bought some plant stands on sale that are metal that has been painted a bright verdigris green color. I need to make these darker to go better with the dark wood furniture in that room as well as the plant stands I already have that are dark metal with bronze painted accents. The verdigris color would go if it was just much darker and had some black/brown in it. Without repainting them completely, what can I do? I thought of doing the following, tell me if this sounds like it would work or if there is something better I can try.

I would use black acrylic craft paint (maybe mixed partly with a warm dark brown so the contrast would not be too harsh) and blend it with a gel medium to make it partly transparent and to slow drying time. I would brush it on to cover a section at a time and then wipe it off with a rag on the high points. The lowest lying points would then look "antiqued" but the highest rubbed points would still be green. There is a lot of metal textural detail that would hold the darker color. The whole effect would still be verdigris but darker.

Any other or better ideas? Thanks!

Comments (3)