Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is there a pattern or trick to making a cord cover?

Posted by sharon_fl (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 1, 07 at 17:40

I have purchased a swag crystal chandelier for my grandaughter's room, as well as 2 wall plug in chandelier sconces. I'd like to cover all of the cords. The ones I see from Googling-are like $35 each! The ones that are ruched (sp?) are so nice. Anyone have instructions for this? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is there a pattern or trick to making a cord cover?

I'm no expert but I would think if you made a long tube sleeve out of cotton fabric (something flexible) and slipped it over the cord it would do just fine. You might want to post your question in the Sewing Forum for a more better answer from those who sew more than I do.

Sal

o

Long tubes of fabric will work, but eventually the ruching will slip towards the floor. I would sew the long seam and then on the very edge, zigzag down it over a piece of cord or dental floss, something strong. Then you could pull and gather it to the required length, tie it off and take a little stitch here and there to lock it in place. Then the ruching will not slip. I've also seen them open on the side with velcro so slipping the cord in is super easy. I wouldn't bother with that though, it makes them too thick.

o

Thanks Flamey & Sal...it all makes sense now. I'll be using a baby pink or lavender chiffon type material. Your advise is much appreciated!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here