Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
creepfan

To Etsy or Not to Etsy

creepfan
15 years ago

That is the question. It's only 20 cents to list an item for 4 months. Then they take 3.5% of the sale price. Has anyone around here sold on Etsy, buy on Etsy or think it's good or bad? I have no knowledge of it and it was just suggested to me the other day. Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (7)

• luvs2click
    15 years ago

I tried Etsy last winter - listed about 25 things. I didn't sell anything, but I can't say it was a bad experience. It's cheap enough, so it wasn't painful on the wallet. I might try again this winter if I have time to list things. It was fun making up a "store". The link to my now-empty store is below.

Arlene

Here is a link that might be useful: My etsy store

• oddie
    15 years ago

I tried selling on etsy, wasnt a bad experience, but like arlene I did not sell a thing, was easy enough to list iteams and the price was supper cheap, I have read about crafters who sell lots on etsy, maybe its just my type of crafts! nothing in my store right now latter when I have more time I might try selling some vintage jewerly, and table linens I have and old dress patterns for sewing.
    there are tons of pages and iteams that are listed go pretty fast throu the pages.
    give it a try nothing much to lose but your time, and 20 cents to list a iteam, some of the crafters here do sell on etsy hopefully they will post.
    oddie

• FlamingO in AR
    15 years ago

I sell on Etsy and I buy there, too. I love it, it gives me an outlet for my sewn things and it gives me a reason to keep making more things. The fees seem negligible and I'm having fun, so I consider it a success. I won't post a link to my shop because I don't want anyone to think I'm advertising, but my shop name is FlossieBlossoms if anyone wants to look at it.

Making listings takes a bit of time, but if you make similar things, cutting and pasting info into listings makes it a lot faster.

• creepfan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your input everyone! I have the same feelings.. since it's pretty cheap to list I figured nothing ventured, nothing gained. Thinking I'll list whatever doesn't sell at my last show, since that show is the weekend after Thanksgiving and I don't have any more shows after that. So whatever I have left I'll post on Etsy. Thanks for helping me make up my mind!

• honeysuckleridge
    15 years ago

To have great sales on Etsy you have to post something every day...keep on the top of it and work at it...get a following and it will work out.
    It's not Ebay...it's a lot more work.

Best of luck,
    ginger

• leveta
    15 years ago

I just got my Home Companion and there is a story in it on how Esty got started.

• creepfan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I will take that advice, Ginger. Thank you! Home Companion, huh? Well maybe that will bring more customers to it!