Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leveta

Candy cane candles...

leveta
14 years ago

I'm trying to make some of the candles that have candy canes hot glued to them. But they keep falling off. What i'm I doing wrong?? The wrapper is still on the CC and the candle doesn't have a wrapper on it...

Comments (15)

• User
    14 years ago

try tying them on with some twine or raffia. I wouldn't think glue would stick to wax.

• leveta
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi joann. I typed in CC and read the posts from here and then googled it and everyone I read but 1t says to hot glue them on. I'm hopeing some of those that did them will post, but I'm starting to agree with you about the wax. But it just dawned on me that the ones they used mught have been coated...

• kellysgarden
    14 years ago
  • gram_NH
    14 years ago

I make these every year. They are quick and beautiful. Lovely hostess gifts.

I use the the 10 or 12 inch taper candles. 8 candycanes. Wrapper on candy canes. No wrapper on candle.
    Cool temp glue will NOT work. Has to be HOT glue.

I start by glueing one at 12 and 6 as on the clock. Then 3 and 9. Then fill in between the four spaces. The canes are faces out at the bottom. Just try to get the cane part flush with the bottom of candle. Then I hot glue something to them like an artificial poinsetta or greenery with a little bell.

I have searched the net and have found many different kinds, but can't find a pic of the kind I make.
    If you conquer it...you will love them and if giving away...so will the recipients!

Just remember....HOT glue!

• leveta
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OH gram_nh I was hopeing to hear from you. I did use the hot glue, the first one stuck but the rest just fell off. Is there a difference in candles, like the wax vs the coated ones? I so much want to make some of these for my shop...

• gram_NH
    14 years ago

Hi Leveta, Hmmm can't figure out what might be wrong. I don't know what 'coated' candles are. I get the cheapest ones I can find. Usually at the Dollar Tree.

I put the hot glue on the candy cane, not the candle. Then just hold for a second. Does that help?

I have webtv and can not always post in Gardenweb forums all the time. Have to go through a long procedure, so if I don't answer, feel free to email me from my page....which by the way I must update someday....it is going on 10 yrs old!! ;)

• vwtx
    14 years ago

How about double-sided tape? I can't remember where I saw it, but recently read an article where you wrap a wide piece of double-sided tape around the candle, then roll it around in beans, lentils or whatever. I'd think candy canes would probably stick just as well.

• vwtx
    14 years ago

I found the article! Guess I was having a senior moment :)

Here is a link that might be useful: HGTV

• leveta
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks vwtx...I added it to my favorites. I may have to try it that way...

• sheri
    14 years ago

I haven't seen the candles you're referring to, but I can imagine them in my mind.

My first thought is that I would like to be able to used them over again after the candles burn down, but couldn't of course because they are glued onto the candles. I'm thinking it would be great to just glue them in a circle the size of the candle, then they could be used as candle holders. You could recycle a clear plastic container or milk carton to form a ring to give you something to work with. If the plastic shows through more than you'd like, cover it first with ribbon or fabric or even paint.

In any case, I'd love to see your finished product if you could post a picture when you're done.

• leveta
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Type in gram nh in search box. It should show you her posts and one of them is the CC candle...

• sheri
    14 years ago

Hmmmm, I saw 56 posts but didn't see the candle. I could just be blind though.

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

Here is a link to gram nh's style taper candy cane candle picture. I think it may be someone else's candle, but gram nh posted it as an example.
    Its pretty nice.
    kathy

Here is a link that might be useful:

• gram_NH
    14 years ago

Kathy, thanks for finding that!
    It is my candle, but I have webtv and can't do an album. My daughter Jodi came over one day last year and took pics of ornies and things I have made and put it in an album for me.
    Leveta, I hope you have had some luck with them.
    These are really more decorative than usefull but are so cheap and easy, they make a great hostess gift.
    You can burn them, but would never leave them, as with any candle.

• ivamae
    14 years ago

So they are mainly for decoration, are they? They are really nice, but I would be afraid to light them in case they tipped over.

Thanks for posting the pic.

ivamae