Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
creepfan

Newbie With A Question!

creepfan
15 years ago

I have about a dozen and a half metal lanterns that you put a tea light candle inside. They have glass "windows" and I want to use glass "stickers" on them to jazz them up. Then I will put a sprig holly and a bow around the top of the lantern. What I'm having a problem with is finding the stickers. I found some from Stampendous, but there are no stores here in Delaware that sell them. Shipping on them from their online site is outrageous! I was wondering if anyone here knew of a different source for these kinds of decals. Thanks in Advance and Hello I'm Jenn from Delaware. :)

Comments (10)

• oddie
    15 years ago

Hello Jenn, and welcome!
    have you tried any of the dollar stores? have seen stickers there before, what about wal-mart? wouldnt have to be made just for glass, as most have a clear background, I used them on a block wood candle holder I made, years latter still looks great.
    come back and share your project with us sounds beautiful!
    oddie

• kudzukween
    15 years ago

I've seen craft shows on tv that show clear contact paper or some kind of plastic or vinyl that they used markers to color them in. Looked great to me. I've seen some sheets of window clings at Dollar General and Freds,if that's more of what you had in mind. How close is the candle to the sides? Real candle or battery candle? Inside or outside?? LOL I'm so nosy! You might use some liquid starch or glue and doilies or some sort of pretty paper, or fabric to stick to the glass.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kudzu's Blog

• creepfan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'm thinking that the battery candles would be cool, but I've got a million regular tea lights, so I'll put them in there. Dunno if the papers or doilies would work cuz the glass gets kinda hot. But it's something to consider. I haven't ventured out to the Dollar Store to look for these but that is an excellent idea! The windows are small, so that's always an issue. I think they are only maybe 2 inches wide by about 4 inches high. That limits the designs I can use too.

Gonna try to get these figured out this week, when I get one done that I like I'll post a picture. Thanks again for suggestions!

Jenn

• phonegirl
    15 years ago

How about buying a jar of white craft paint and painting dots with the bottom of your brush or a new pencil eraser on them. Or you could make snowflakes that have the X with a straight line down the center and another across and then put smaller dots at the ends. You could make some large and some small and wouldn't have to over due it. If you don't understand this and need a visual item I could take a picture of my bubble gum pots and post for you. Let me know.

• kudzukween
    15 years ago

Along the lines of phonegirls great suggestion....this is something I do to my windows inside. I buy some paper doilies about dessert plate size, any size will work,though, and I dampen them slightly to get them to stick to my windows, and then spray the decorative snow on them. Sometimes I use white shoe polish, it lasts longer.White paint would be the same,and work better outdoors. They look similar to snowflakes and have a slight victorian look. Add a little white or silver glitter.

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

I think they've got great suggestions. Doilies Come in all sizes & white paint . Then you can reuse the lanterns. Cut out part you want & tape doily on & spray or sponge on lightly Might work to take a cheap sponge cut off piece & dab in paint dab on paper towel once or twice- could practice couple times on wax paper to see how much paint you want on sponge if you have never painted. Won't take long to get it right& sponge on or foam craft brush about 1 in. wide from Michael's & dip in paint lightly, blot on paper towel couple of times & do the glass. If you have too much paint it will go under the design & be messy so go easy. Glitter lightly while wet then go to opposite side or on to next 1. You don't have to be a painter to do this. Trick is little paint goes long . Welcome to the Forum. Jan

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Glass paint would work best. Folk Art Enamel is for glass,has an E on the top of bottle so easy to spot. Would be plenty of paint for this project. Also you do 1 side & untape doily & blot on paper towels & move to next area to paint. I think about 10-20 doilies made from paper come in little packet, you have to use your nails to separate as they are pretty stuck together. You could cut a cheap sponge (not kind you have to wet & they swell up) the fine grained looking ones you can cut shape of little tree, star,candy cane & just dab it on the glass.Jan

• creepfan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

all these ideas are amazing!! I'm gonna get creative this weekend and figure out what I can do on these guys. I've got a box of at least a dozen lanterns so I know I can do alot of these ideas! Thank you Thank you Thank you!!

• sharon_fl
    15 years ago

I was going to suggest, instead of stickers..use a stencil of a snowflake, a star, Xmas tree, etc. and using stencil adhesive-center them on to each pane of the lantern, then use the frosted effect spray, then remove the stencil..or use etching cream & contact cutouts of each design.

• creepfan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I found the box of lanterns.. I have 10. I also found at Wal-mart of all places some rub ons as well as stickers that say they can be applied to glass... I get to play with these this weekend. I'll post pictures of the finished ones if I can figure out how to do that here! LOL

thanks again for all the suggestions!